Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Dreel Castle, Falmouth

nickynoo65

Thank you to all who responded to my shout for help! Been busy checking the Zeebrugge campaign and found out Lingfield's role was: Minesweeper "Lingfield" to take off surplus steaming parties of blockships, which had 100 miles to steam. Now trying to find a picture! The info on Identity cards ongoing as in can't find any, haha!

Jan

1 hour ago, JanaB said:

The info on Identity cards ongoing as in can't find any, haha!

Jan,

Unless you have a subscription to FindMyPast you will not find the CR1 & CR2 identity cards on line as far as I know.  A visit to Southampton Record Office will find them.  However, I can tell you that there is nothing on the cards that I have not already told you so it might be an expense for nothing new. If I understand correctly, the rules of this Forum prevent putting information from subscription sites on view, otherwise I would happily show them to you. 

Tony

On 04/04/2024 at 21:41, ForeignGong said:

This is the Silver Medal of Zeal with St Anne Ribbon

AAAZeal.JPG

Ribbon shown is that of St Stanislaus.  Image which precedes the above is the ribbon of St Anne.

On 04/04/2024 at 15:18, JanaB said:

Came across this entry looking for Dreel Castle and thought it was worth a shot in case someone could help. Researching my daughter-in-laws Great Great Grandfather and hit a brick wall until I found his service papers on National Archives, very hard to read but it did give me parents unknown which explains why I couldn't find him but did give me date of birth 14/02/1882 and addresses, but still couldn't find a marriage! His name is George Day DA517, joined the merchant on the 8th August 1914 in Grimsby. I can work out that he was with Dreel Castle 11/10/1916, Victoria 1 and 2, Halcyon and Halcyon 2. HM Ganton, Pembrooke, Lingfield and can't work out the rest.

JanaB, my Gt Grandfather, also from Grimsby was an Engineer based HMS Dreel Castle from 26.2.15 to 1.3.19 & served on Halcyon - Ernest William Inch. We also have lots of Day's in our family tree but no George. I remember at some point their address was rear of Clee Park Hotel.

3 hours ago, Nannysavior said:

based HMS Dreel Castle from 26.2.15 to 1.3.19 & served on Halcyon

More accurately:-  He enrolled in the RNR at Grimsby as an Engineman on 26 Feb 1915. He was then drafted to the Admiralty minesweeping trawler HMS FUSILIER when she first entered service on 9 Mar 1915. HMS FUSILIER was based on HMS HALCYON, the Lowestoft base, until 3 Apr 1915 when she was transferred to HMS VIVID II, the Devonport base. On 1 Oct 1915 he moved with FUSILIER when she was transferred  again to be based at Falmouth (HMS DREEL CASTLE).

He remained with FUSILIER for over three years (about four years in total), operating out of Falmouth until he was dispersed to Shore on demobilisation on 1 Feb 1919 (date also recorded as 1 Mar 1919).

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

More accurately:-  He enrolled in the RNR at Grimsby as an Engineman on 26 Feb 1915. He was then drafted to the Admiralty minesweeping trawler HMS FUSILIER when she first entered service on 9 Mar 1915. HMS FUSILIER was based on HMS HALCYON, the Lowestoft base, until 3 Apr 1915 when she was transferred to HMS VIVID II, the Devonport base. On 1 Oct 1915 he moved with FUSILIER when she was transferred  again to be based at Falmouth (HMS DREEL CASTLE).

He remained with FUSILIER for over three years (about four years in total), operating out of Falmouth until he was dispersed to Shore on demobilisation on 1 Feb 1919 (date also recorded as 1 Mar 1919).

Thankyou, his record didn't show these transfers - I thought he must've been based in Falmouth for the duration.

Nannysavior George Day's service is about all I have as he put three different dates of birth on documents and listed parents unknown. I do have him when he discharged in 1920 on the census returns from 1921-1926 in Swansea where his daughter Vera Day was born, his wife Martha (can't find record of marriage) died in 1926. There is I think a second daughter called Francis but can't pinpoint her and they were both placed in 1926 in the Swansea Home for Girls. Strange to think they might have met!

Jan