Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malta!

seaJane

Just to let you know: :P Other half and I are in the Hotel Pullman Brussels Midi overnight, on our way to Malta overland by rail (mostly: rail ferry from Messina to Sicily, Easter in Palermo, ferry to Valletta).

We're going with the George Cross Island Association so mostly the 1940-1942 siege, but there are some free days (hoping to see the naval hospitals in those).

Anything GW I shouldn't miss? I shall also be thinking of the European navies' humanitarian & rescue work after the 1908 Messina Earthquake, of course.

The Turkish Military Cemetery is worth a visit, but when I last visited you had to  book it via the Turkish embassy. Only a few Imperial graves, all muslim, but an amazing structure. You will probably visit the Malta (Cappucini) Military Cemetery, which has many naval graves. Fort Rinella has the last I think of the giant Armstrong muzzle loaders, but I'm not sure how friendly it is to wheelchairs, it is a long time since I visited it.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

The Capuccini (Military) Cemetery and Fort Rinella are on the schedule for the same day, and I am advised that they are accessible. We will be seeing the Malta at War Museum that afternoon.

Yesterday we visited Fort St Angelo (formerly HMS Egmont/HMS St Angelo) where there are some GW items in a slightly random display (we didn't get round to seeing everything).

Pictures: RNH Bighi as seen from the Saluting Battery, Valletta, and a shot inside the walls of St Angelo. The buggy deserves to feature, as without it I would never have made my way up the immensely long, steep, marble-paved (and slippery) entrance slope.img_1_1681587124186.jpg.26053c93ebd837fd546115972210a480.jpgimg_2_1681587207373.jpg.fa2a87df9e7b98a87115c6d9aa309838.jpg

Interesting. In the first photo, the tower on the right of the photo is a lift shaft which took casualties  off the boat and thence across the bridge direct to the hospital ward. It was the first of its kind for the British military.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

40 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

the tower on the right of the photo

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Thank you, and how interesting!

3 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Thank you, and how interesting!

Cappucini Cemetery and Fort Rinnella are both fascinating places. Look out for the Japanese naval memorial at the  far end of the cemetery. They deployed naval vessels to assist us in the Mediterranean during WW1. Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Enjoy

I shall! Thanks for the additional information.

Jane, sounds like a fab trip. By coincidence I've just completed an article on a WW2 airman called Alfred Penlington who was lost over the Med flying from Luqa almost exactly 80 years ago. His name is on the RAF Memorial at Floriana. If your itinerary takes you there and it's accessible would you mind saying hello? Absolutely no problemo if not; continue having a great time.

Pete.

We will be going there, and I'm told it's accessible, so I'll say hallo. :)

27 minutes ago, seaJane said:

We will be going there, and I'm told it's accessible, so I'll say hallo. :)

Jane, you don't know how happy that makes me. Thank you.

Pete.

P.S. This is Alfred.

AlfredPenlingtoncropped.jpg.ca6774f650f2bf403745ca03d5a434bb.jpg

21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

almost exactly 80 years

What year exactly please Pete?

seaJane,

Should you get the chance, the Pietà cemetery is, in my view, worth a visit. Very peaceful. And should you visit, please do stop by the grave of Maj Rupert Meyricke RFA, commanding officer of B/58 at Suvla Bay.  He died on the terrace of RNH Bighi and his story is rather a tragic one, sadly.

David.

52 minutes ago, seaJane said:

What year exactly please Pete?

1943 - https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1533012/alfred-penlington/

He played three wartime games for Everton and through that I got to know the family. They shared the letters and cuttings and of course the wonderful photograph. His brother also died while on active service and the family have a letter of condolence from Buckingham Palace signed by Sir Alan Lascelles.

Coincidentally, I am currently reading 'Operation Pedestal', by Max Hastings.  The book describes the fleet/convoy that relieved the WW2 siege of Malta, by delivering much needed food, fuel, aircraft and ammuntion to the island.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Also recommended is James Holland, 'Fortress Malta.'

ANZACs in Malta: these links are distributed by the Maltese Embassy in Australia, and by the New Zealand consulate. They include self-guided walking tours.

17 hours ago, David26 said:

seaJane,

Should you get the chance, the Pietà cemetery is, in my view, worth a visit. Very peaceful. And should you visit, please do stop by the grave of Maj Rupert Meyricke RFA, commanding officer of B/58 at Suvla Bay.  He died on the terrace of RNH Bighi and his story is rather a tragic one, sadly.

David.

David, not sure about Pietà; I will check.

sJ

The National War Memorial commemorates the dead of both World wars.

Screenshot_2023-04-17-15-06-03-416-edit_com_miui.gallery.jpg.c6303f1f969c93e9dc94c0cfdba7d03f.jpg

21 hours ago, David26 said:

Pietà cemetery

David; just checked, and we will be at Pietà for the Anzac Day Service on Tuesday 25th. If I get the chance, I will look for Major Meyricke.

sJ

Edited by seaJane

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

David; just checked, and we will be at Pietà for the Anzac Day Service on Tuesday 26th. If I get the chance, I will look for Major Meyricke.

sJ

Thank you sJ. It's not a particularly big cemetery and his grave is roughly in the middle. 

I hope you have a super trip.

David.

33 minutes ago, David26 said:

I hope you have a super trip.

It's been good so far! The date in my previous post should, of course, have been Tuesday 25th. I corrected it in my original, but don't think I can in the quotation.

The pictures of the RAF Memorial at Floriana seem to have disappeared?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The pictures of the RAF Memorial at Floriana seem to have disappeared?

Because they were all WW2 I posted them separately in Skindles. I hope they're still there! Will check.

4 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Because they were all WW2 I posted them separately in Skindles. I hope they're still there! Will check.

Ah, that's clearly where I saw them Jane, sorry for the confusion. It's a phenomenon that is becoming more and more frequent with me. :wacko:

21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

80 years ago tomorrow :poppy:

Edited by seaJane