Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying a cap badge

pioneecorps

6 hours ago, vaugh said:

It would be nice to know the source of the information, I'm presuming it's a booklet detailing the WWI exploits of Cork men.

Just testing myself with the above question, Mark Perry in his excellent work "The South Irish Horse in the Great War" notes Daniel Shanahan in chapter three pages 68/69 footnote 16 to the entry states: "Irish Independent, 21st January 1916 pg 6. So this is the original source but the photo's above are from a different publication, still be nice to identify this additional source.

4 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Hi Gerwyn and Doug, happy to help a bit :D I am glad you are getting to the bottom of it, if you need more, say from ancestry give me a shout. Regards, Bob.

Thanks Bob, good to know. :D

14 hours ago, vaugh said:

Just testing myself with the above question, Mark Perry in his excellent work "The South Irish Horse in the Great War" notes Daniel Shanahan in chapter three pages 68/69 footnote 16 to the entry states: "Irish Independent, 21st January 1916 pg 6. So this is the original source but the photo's above are from a different publication, still be nice to identify this additional source.

Thanks Bob, good to know. :D

Hi Vaugh

Dan said

She got it from her father, Patrick, who was Daniel's brother.
Unfortunately she didnt say where he got it. Ive just read back through her letters , and, although i can find the one that this info came with, theres no mention of its source.
Unfortunately both cousin and her Dad long gone, and although ive tried to re establish contact with the family I havent been successful. As a side interest, the other Daniel Shanahan that was killed the same year and from the same area, looks like he was related in some way, I just need to pick up the threads and piece it together.

Regards

Gerwyn

18 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Hi Gerwyn and Doug, happy to help a bit :D I am glad you are getting to the bottom of it, if you need more, say from ancestry give me a shout. Regards, Bob.

Hi Bob

You have been a great help to me Bob, and the other GWF Members who have given their time in finding the information I have received for Dan..

I have passed on to Dan, asking if he needed anymore information from ancestry, waiting reply.

Regards.

Gerwyn

44 minutes ago, pioneecorps said:

She got it from her father, Patrick, who was Daniel's brother.
Unfortunately she didnt say where he got it. Ive just read back through her letters , and, although i can find the one that this info came with, theres no mention of its source.
Unfortunately both cousin and her Dad long gone, and although ive tried to re establish contact with the family I havent been successful. As a side interest, the other Daniel Shanahan that was killed the same year and from the same area, looks like he was related in some way, I just need to pick up the threads and piece it together.

Hi Gerwyn,
Thanks for chasing that up, it's not much of an issue as we know the original letters appeared in the Irish Independent in 1916, so that's as good a source as any.
On Ancestry there are several Shanahan families and some of the information is wrongly attributed. It does seem to be a fairly common name in Cork. I may well look into the other Daniel and see what comes up but I'm always getting sidetracked with research...

Cheers
Doug

2 hours ago, vaugh said:

Hi Gerwyn,
Thanks for chasing that up, it's not much of an issue as we know the original letters appeared in the Irish Independent in 1916, so that's as good a source as any.
On Ancestry there are several Shanahan families and some of the information is wrongly attributed. It does seem to be a fairly common name in Cork. I may well look into the other Daniel and see what comes up but I'm always getting sidetracked with research...

Cheers
Doug

Hi Doug

It has been a pleasure, being in contact with you.

I wish you all the best with your interest in the North Irish Horse.

Kind regards

Gerwyn

On 20/03/2023 at 15:37, Bob Davies said:

Hi Bob

Its me again :D, Dan said, If you could find anymore information on ancestry, he would like to know.

Regards

Gerwyn

• Admin
Just now, pioneecorps said:

Hi Bob

Its me again :D, Dan said, If you could find anymore information on ancestry, he would like to know.

Regards

Gerwyn

Hi Gerwyn, I will have another look, however there was not a lot when I looked before. The family tree he was on seemed to be very disjointed. I will get back to you.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi,

it's not much but I created this brief family tree on WikiTree when I first looked into the Shanahan family, it gives dates of birth for the immediate Shanahan family.
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Shanahan-728
Attached is the page from the war diary showing Daniel's demise.

Shanahan_Daniel_SIH_73380_WO95_2141_War_Diary_Jan1916.JPG

17 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Hi Gerwyn, I will have another look, however there was not a lot when I looked before. The family tree he was on seemed to be very disjointed. I will get back to you.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob

Thank for all your kind help, if you do have any problems, there's no worries, I think Dan has had plenty of help from the GWF Members.

Kind regards

Gerwyn

16 hours ago, vaugh said:

Hi,

it's not much but I created this brief family tree on WikiTree when I first looked into the Shanahan family, it gives dates of birth for the immediate Shanahan family.
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Shanahan-728
Attached is the page from the war diary showing Daniel's demise.

Shanahan_Daniel_SIH_73380_WO95_2141_War_Diary_Jan1916.JPG

Hi Doug

Thank you for this further information on Daniel Shanahan, and for all the other help I have had from you.

Kind regards

Gerwyn