Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying rank and battalion

Caroline Kay

Caroline 

Could you provide our forum sleuths the name of and the address of the property that the photo was found at which may assist in identifying the army captain in question

would I be correct in assuming  the photo was found fairly recently 

I am leaning towards the 5th Bn Yorks being the battalion that the captain served in, due to the location where the photo was found

The late Bill Danby's website for the 4th Yorks  is still up and running  Here which includes most of the officers of the 4th Bn who served during the great war

Just keeping an open mind It is possible that the Army Captain did not serve during the great war and the photo being a pre war photo 

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

4 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Caroline 

Could you provide our forum sleuths the name of and the address of the property that the photo was found at which may assist in identifying the army captain in question

would I be correct in assuming  the photo was found fairly recently 

I am leaning towards the 5th Bn Yorks being the battalion that the captain served in, due to the location where the photo was found

The late Bill Danby's website for the 4th Yorks  is still up and running  Here which includes most of the officers of the 4th Bn who served during the great war

Just keeping an open mind It is possible that the Army Captain did not serve during the great war and the photo being a pre war photo 

Ray

Unless he died of disease or something Ray I think it’s fair to say it’s very unlikely he did not serve in some capacity even if it was only within the training infrastructure.  The government were so desperate for men with military experience of any kind that they were even employing retired officers dug out from men who hadn’t served for decades and who were significantly out-of-date or only with experience in India.  At least that officer, who is wearing the 1913 modified service dress, would have had contemporary knowledge and experience.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2144103788_gjscott.JPG.af724431046a53737560be78b3d14c5d.JPGdouble.JPG.a7317e937d5957528853cf1a426f2183.JPG

No cleft chin visable in the newspaper cutting but a striking resembalance

Scott KIA 1915

opinions welcome

Ray

16 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

2144103788_gjscott.JPG.af724431046a53737560be78b3d14c5d.JPGdouble.JPG.a7317e937d5957528853cf1a426f2183.JPG

No cleft chin visable in the newspaper cutting but a striking resembalance

Scott KIA 1915

opinions welcome

Ray

Just to make a comparison a little easier:

image.png.a1d550a016b8380f52d55e9a511b8c90.png

Thanks Andrew 

side by side images suggest/ indicate not our man

Will keep looking for  another candidate

Ray

I believe it is him, you wouldn’t see the cleft from the angle of the second photo.  The ears especially are closely matched and that’s always a critical feature for making an identification, but there are several other facial factors too.  That’s a brilliant spot Ray, how did you track that image down?

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Captain George Jefferson Scott

CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/139534/george-jefferson-scott/

Son of George and Victoria Scott Market Weighton Yorkshire

Appointed 2nd Lt 26 August 1896 2nd Volunteer Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

Married Jenny Bell daughter of Robert Bell Market Weighton ( he was a well known cricketer and football player) 11th November 1911

Appointed to the 5th Battalion April 1908 from the 2nd Volunteer Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment on formation

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28163/page/5640

Manager of Barclays Bank Pocklington

Memorial Service January Pocklington Parish Church January 1916

Market Weighton is halfway between Walkington (where photo found) and Pocklington which is 17 miles from Walkington

Perhaps if as suggested the @Caroline Kay tells us where found we can eliminate or confirm

Same photo as found by Ray I think but in Hull Daily Mail courtesy of FMP (attributed to Watson Bros Hull)

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 21.40.33.png

Excellent research Ken and yet another family struck by tragedy.  I wonder if his poor widow married again or if she had to struggle to raise two children alone.  I don’t know what the attitude to life insurance was then and probably not admissible in wartime anyway.  As a former bank manager I imagine he might have taken some precautionary measures in case of the worst occurring.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3rd version of Scott is sharper..

chrome_screenshot_1678574527569.png.1422dddd1f3904b7a90a62eff77071d6.png

(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons. Please cite 'East Riding Archives ' when reusing.

What a marvellous result, from an unloved portrait of an unknown soldier to a positive identification…what a great thread.

Dave.

5 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

What a marvellous result, from an unloved portrait of an unknown soldier to a positive identification…what a great thread.

Dave.

I agree Dave.  It’s made me muse how wonderful it would be if his descendants, (via daughters) who might not know anything much about him, were interested in obtaining the photo. 

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

I agree Dave.  It’s made me muse how wonderful it would be if his descendants, (via daughters) who might not know anything much about him, were interested in obtaining the photo. 

Absolutely FROGSMILE, returning it to the family if possible, (and a permanent memorial to Captain Scott on here) would be the perfect ending.

Dave.

4 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Absolutely FROGSMILE, returning it to the family if possible, (and a permanent memorial to Captain Scott on here) would be the perfect ending.

Dave.

There are few auxiliary Army officers nowadays (recently retitled from Territorial Army to “Army Reserve”) who serve the length of time that he did.

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

There are few auxiliary Army officers nowadays (recently retitled from Territorial Army to “Army Reserve”) who serve the length of time that he did.

The earliest gazette I can find for him is 1896…https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26771/page/4821

1908 here…https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28163/page/5640

And 1012 here…https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28599/page/2707

Edited by Dave66

12 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Yes I think kenf48 tracked most of that detail down in his post just above, but without including all the links.

It would be wonderful to try and track down his family.  Of course it doesn’t necessarily follow that all his descendants will be interested, but the relatively recent centenary of WW1 has raised the profile of Britain’s (and Ireland’s) ancestral effort in that conflict and encouraged a lot of people to trace their forebears contribution.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

In 1890 George Jefferson Scott was  granted a free scholarship at St Peter’s College York (Yorkshire Herald July 21 1890). Don’t know if anyone there would be interested, but

A cautionary note we haven’t found a definitive link but the Gazette deference in the previous post probably lists all the officers of the 5th Battalion upon its formation. 

A Company 5th Bn was at Pocklington and Market Weighton (Westlake)

5 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

In 1890 George Jefferson Scott was  granted a free scholarship at St Peter’s College York (Yorkshire Herald July 21 1890). Don’t know if anyone there would be interested, but

A cautionary note we haven’t found a definitive link but the Gazette deference in the previous post probably lists all the officers of the 5th Battalion upon its formation. 

A Company 5th Bn was at Pocklington and Market Weighton (Westlake)

Yes if the college still exists Ken I’d be really surprised if they are uninterested in the photograph, so that’s another place where it might meaningfully go.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes if the college still exists

My mistake St Peter's School, https://www.stpetersyork.org.uk/

or perhaps the Green Howards Museum migh be interested rather than going into an attic again.

I accept all the usual caveats about regimental museums at least it would be secure storage

https://greenhowards.org.uk/

The War Diary:-

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 09.11.57.png

The diary list him as one of the original officers who landed at Boulogne on the 17 April, the officer in charge of the Advance Party was a Capt Thompson, wounded the day before Capt Scott was killed.

The full list of captains in the 1/5  who embarked for France;-

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 09.16.38.png

Therefore I would suggest if it is not him it is in all probability one of the above.

53 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

My mistake St Peter's School, https://www.stpetersyork.org.uk/

or perhaps the Green Howards Museum migh be interested rather than going into an attic again.

I accept all the usual caveats about regimental museums at least it would be secure storage

https://greenhowards.org.uk/

The War Diary:-

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 09.11.57.png

The diary list him as one of the original officers who landed at Boulogne on the 17 April, the officer in charge of the Advance Party was Capt Thompson

The full list of captains;-

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 09.16.38.png

Yes, good point about the Green Howards Museum Ken, it’s among the very best infantry regiment museums in the country with a particularly good collection of uniforms and, as far as I know, it still has a very regimental focus unlike many forced to be more County, or Region oriented.  One of the wonderful things with electronic digitalised copies of such images is that perhaps school, family and museum could all have a copy.  There’d be a lot less chance of him being forgotten again then. 

54 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Good effort, gents, but I don’t think they are the same man. Nose, chin and ear too different.

You’re in a minority I think Phil, I’d quite happily wager my gold watch on it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Everyone sorry for the late reply. Well too coin a Yorkshire phrase By Heck I'm gobsmacked. I feel quite emotional with this amazing effort you have all put in to try and answer my question.  Although I am no expert when I looked at the photos it most definately looks like the gentleman in the Photo I have, if somewhat a bit older and thinner and possibly his face looks longer but that could be age. weight loss and photographic distortion. In the last photo I can also see the cleft chin.  I have tried to contact the fella who took it out of the skip and gave me it, although I haven't heard back from him as yet . I would very much like to reunite this photo with any family members if possible, One thing I did find out is that the war memorial in Market Weighton has his name on, plus 3 Bells which was his wife's maiden name. 

Edited by Caroline Kay

Also this is quite strange but I have a book by Everard Wyrall which belonged to my dad who had an interest in the Great War as his dad (my grandad) was in the conflict and served in the 1/4th East Yorkshire Regt and this book contains day to day information and maps. Long story short, according to the information posted in the threads above George Jefferson Scott  relieved my grandads battalion in the trenches and that's sadly when he was killed, however I don't know exactly when my grandad joined up I have a feeling it wasn't until 1916 but how much of a coincidence would it be if he was in the trenches when Captain Scotts battalion relieved them ?  

Edited by Caroline Kay