Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

34 Division but what unit? Possibly Suffolk?

Raster Scanning

2 hours ago, Chef_Hendrix said:

I'm afraid my knowledge of the 34th only really extends to the early/middle part of 1918 as that's when the Battalions (16th RS and 21st NF) of my GGF and his cousin left/were disbanded and where my own amateur research ended. But looking at the LLT it is stated that it was the 1/4 Royal Sussex Regiment who were with the 34th Division from June 1918 with no mention of another Suffolk battalion joining.

I focused on your comment that there was no mention of the Suffolks in the Divisions history, I was thinking the 34th, but I now, having re-read your comment believe you were actually talking about the Eastern Division.

Curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at some of the War Diaries.

The Royal Sussex WD has them arriving at Etaples on 28 June 1918 before some rest and training and onward travel to join the 101st Brigade, 34th Division. Their diary is a bit sparse but they are in Germany in 1919.

The 101st Brigade WD has the 4th Royal Sussex arriving on the evening of the 29th June and they are mentioned as coming under their command (and thus 34th Division) on the 30th June along with the 2/4 Queens (R.W. Surrey), 2nd L.N. Lancs and 2/4 Somerset L.I. 

The 101st WD has the Royal Sussex remaining with them through into 1919 and into Germany.

Yes, I was aware that the badge had been in use on vehicles and such, their are a few pictures on IWM collection with the chequered badge on trucks and one showing a pop up library (with 11 Suffolks). The cloth badge appears to have been introduced once the 34th had been reorganised in the middle of 1918. I do have the excerpt from the diary saved somewhere and I will have a look for it if anyone is interested, but my written notes have the date I mentioned earlier.

So, in summary! The orbat you posted is correct in that it was the 4th Royal Sussex who were with the Eastern Division, and I could find no mention of another Suffolk Regiment other than that the 11ths who had been with the Division when it was previously known as the 34th, and who had left in 1918.

Many thanks Chris I would be very interested to see any information on the matter of the introduction of the cloth divisional sign. 

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you.  I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thorough, informative answer.

No problem at all, your posts have been very detailed and informative in the past, so happy to help where I can.

6 minutes ago, mark holden said:

Many thanks Chris I would be very interested to see any information on the matter of the introduction of the cloth divisional sign. 

Hi Mark, here it is. I found it in the Adjutant and Quartermasters WD (WO-95-2439)

image.png.9d2a3bc6dca516a85c4f0b26e8ad6a73.png

Gaz

17 minutes ago, Chef_Hendrix said:

No problem at all, your posts have been very detailed and informative in the past, so happy to help where I can.

Hi Mark, here it is. I found it in the Adjutant and Quartermasters WD (WO-95-2439)

Gaz

A very interesting document, both in its content and its very typical British Army layout (written in the style taught at staff college).  Thank you for sharing it.  The instruction regarding the painting of steel helmets will be of interest to @Casques of WW1 I think.

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 minutes ago, Chef_Hendrix said:

Gaz

That is superb information and puts to bed the pre post Armistice question I had in my mind. Do you mind if I post this to the Great War Facebook page. 

1 minute ago, mark holden said:

That is superb information and puts to bed the pre post Armistice question I had in my mind. Do you mind if I post this to the Great War Facebook page. 

Of course not, happy to share it, I don't use FB as much these days. (last time was to purchase some items from yourself!)

Edited by Chef_Hendrix

22 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you.  I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thorough, informative answer.

Allow me to second that. Thanks very much