Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for info Russian Budenovka and 15th

oldrag71

Hello,

Can anyone help me with an approximate year on this photo by dating the uniform?  Also, can anyone provide any information on the 15th  (collar brass) and wha tunit, etc he might be from.

Thanks!

IMG_0868.jpg

On 23/01/2023 at 21:03, oldrag71 said:

Hello,

Can anyone help me with an approximate year on this photo by dating the uniform?  Also, can anyone provide any information on the 15th  (collar brass) and wha tunit, etc he might be from.

Thanks!

IMG_0868.jpg

The collar insignia is key.  I can’t make out if it’s crossed flags (signals unit), or crossed axes (engineers), as per the lieutenant’s collar below.  If the latter then perhaps the 15th Engineer Regiment.  Another possibility is crossed hammer and gauge, or adjustable spanner (?) for armoured mechanical engineers I think.

From the winter cap (Budenovka) with large red star I’d date it to around 1930 at a guess.  Perhaps @Mikhailcan advise us. 

25BF00EB-7F2B-4910-AAF1-0F8886EAC1EF.png

8631D8C9-F8C0-49DF-AE87-27FE45F64D1D.jpeg

31909CAA-CD69-497F-8FC4-AFCBD7275BB9.jpeg

C6EC01CE-8B09-4FE0-B947-EFE420D67108.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

USSR, Red Army, 1924-1935. This private serves in the technical troops, collar tabs made of black cloth with blue edging, possibly in the 15th regiment (I will try to check later).

4 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

USSR, Red Army, 1924-1935. This private serves in the technical troops, collar tabs made of black cloth with blue edging, possibly in the 15th regiment (I will try to check later).

Thank you Mikhail, that’s really helpful and interesting.

Looking at the numbered chart above her collar badge looks like for Pioneers (No20), so perhaps 15th Pioneer Regiment?

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The collar insignia is key.  I can’t make out if it’s crossed flags (signals unit), or crossed axes (engineers), as per the lieutenant’s collar below.  If the latter then perhaps the 15th Engineer Regiment.  Another possibility is crossed hammer and gauge, or adjustable spanner (?) for armoured mechanical engineers I think.

From the winter cap (Budenovka) with large red star I’d date it to around 1930 at a guess.  Perhaps @Mikhailcan advise us. 

25BF00EB-7F2B-4910-AAF1-0F8886EAC1EF.png

8631D8C9-F8C0-49DF-AE87-27FE45F64D1D.jpeg

31909CAA-CD69-497F-8FC4-AFCBD7275BB9.jpeg

4B9296A5-54E6-4159-9939-4D605FF8C9E8.jpeg

those pictures are for late period, they show post-1935 insignia.

2 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

those pictures are for late period, they show post-1935 insignia.

Thank you, I understand.  From what you said I was okay with 1930 date (approximately).  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hey....THANKS to everyone!  Truly appreciate the effort and information.  

When I got the hat, I received the picture with it...but with no information about it.    The hat has some writing and a purple stamp on the interior.    It's a pretty cool hat!

Thanks again everyone!

thumbnail_IMG_7634.jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7684.jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7648.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7653.jpg

3 minutes ago, oldrag71 said:

When I got the hat, I received the picture with it...but with no information about it.    The hat has some writing and a purple stamp on the interior.    It's a pretty cool hat!

Thanks again everyone!

thumbnail_IMG_7634.jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7684.jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7648.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7653.jpg

It looks very authentic and appears to have an ink stamp of 1941, I’m sure that @Mikhailwill be interested to see it.

12 hours ago, oldrag71 said:

Thanks again everyone!

thumbnail_IMG_7634.jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7684.jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7648.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7653.jpg

Hi! Standard infantry (judging by the crimson star) winter Budyonnovka of pre-1935 pattern. It also seems very authentic to me, and is manually signed inside by Sidorenko (probably wearer's surname), II/3/1933. The "03 March 1941" stamp is clearly a later date, possibly a warehouse inventory stamp.

bud1.jpg

bud2.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

Hi! Standard infantry (judging by the crimson star) winter Budyonnovka of pre-1935 pattern. It also seems very authentic to me, and is manually signed inside by Sidorenko (probably wearer's surname), II/3/1933. The "03 March 1941" stamp is clearly a later date, possibly a warehouse inventory stamp.

bud1.jpg

bud2.jpg

Thank you Mikhail, very interesting and quite rare for us to see.  Later than ww1 as I thought, although I think I saw earlier versions (similar design) in some photos of the 1919 conflict between red and white forces.  Perhaps the ones I saw were old Imperial equipment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sorry for being a little off topic. In the above photo in Budennovka, the famous Soviet and Russian actor and circus clown Yuri Nikulin, who fought from 1939 to 1945 (anti-aircraft artillery).

Nik1.jpg

Nik2.jpg

Nik3.jpg

Nik4.jpg

Nik7.jpg

54 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Later than ww1 as I thought, although I think I saw earlier versions (similar design) in some photos of the 1919 conflict between red and white forces.  Perhaps the ones I saw were old Imperial equipment.

Budyonnovka appeared in the Red Army in 1918. The information that they were developed in the imperial army is a myth that has been discussed many times and is considered proven. In 1920, the helmet, having entered the uniform of the First Cavalry Army, began to be called "Budyonovka" - by the name of the army commander Semyon Mikhailovich Budyonny.

The color of the star on Budyonovka differed, depending on the type of troops: in the infantry they wore a crimson star, in the cavalry - blue, in artillery - orange (later - black) , in tank, technical, engineering and sapper units - black, pilots - blue, border guards - green, state security and internal troops - maroon.
Budyonnovka went through a number of changes and modifications, and was worn in the Red Army until 1943.

Edited by Mikhail

Thank you for the great information!  Sorry for being off topic, but I could not find anyone that knew this information.  Really aprreciated.  Thanks!

30 minutes ago, oldrag71 said:

Thank you for the great information!  Sorry for being off topic, but I could not find anyone that knew this information.  Really aprreciated.  Thanks!

no problem! Thank You for the interesting topic.

While this thread has been going I was sent this and wonder if the soldier in the OP photograph has the Chemical Troops insignia on his collar.

7B8EE30F-CB9E-4F2D-965B-DFB27493549E.jpeg

On 26/01/2023 at 10:15, Mikhail said:

Budyonnovka appeared in the Red Army in 1918. The information that they were developed in the imperial army is a myth that has been discussed many times and is considered proven. In 1920, the helmet, having entered the uniform of the First Cavalry Army, began to be called "Budyonovka" - by the name of the army commander Semyon Mikhailovich Budyonny.

The color of the star on Budyonovka differed, depending on the type of troops: in the infantry they wore a crimson star, in the cavalry - blue, in artillery - orange (later - black) , in tank, technical, engineering and sapper units - black, pilots - blue, border guards - green, state security and internal troops - maroon.
Budyonnovka went through a number of changes and modifications, and was worn in the Red Army until 1943.

Thank you Mikhail, that’s very clear.

16 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

While this thread has been going I was sent this and wonder if the soldier in the OP photograph has the Chemical Troops insignia on his collar.

At first I thought pioneers, but the image isn’t clear enough to be sure and you might be right.  It won’t help if they all had 15th Regiments, but I don’t know if that’s the case.

On 27/01/2023 at 22:43, Gunner 87 said:

during the period under review (1924-1936), the following emblems were worn on the collar tabs in the Red Army (see below). Your picture is for 1936-1942. The original image is blurry, so I can guess emblem 1 or 2 . 1 - military engineers, 2 - pioneer units.

embl24-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Mikhail said:

during the period under review (1924-1936), the following emblems were worn on the collar tabs in the Red Army (see below). Your picture is for 1936-1942. The original image is blurry, so I can guess emblem 1 or 2 . 1 - military engineers, 2 - pioneer units.

embl24-2.jpg

Ha! Then I made good guesses in my first post Mikhail.  😉👍

Edited by FROGSMILE

28 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Ha! Then I made good guesses in my first post Mikhail.  😉👍

Yes, You are correct! 

• 4 months later...
On 26/01/2023 at 12:15, Mikhail said:

Dear Mikhail & Forum,

Hope you are well.

It would be greatly appreciated to provide me any information for this Budenovka Hat.

My cousin was bought it two years ago & we would like to know the value of this hat in the market.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Vasileios

IMG_2967.jpeg

IMG_2968.jpeg

IMG_2969.jpeg

IMG_2970.jpeg

IMG_2971.jpeg

IMG_2972.jpeg

IMG_2973.jpeg

Hello!

I'm not a very big expert in Budyonnovka, but I can say that this infantry winter Budyonnovka early model (1920s) looks pretty authentic. I only doubt the authenticity of the little metallic red star on it.

What is the size of big crimson star ?

10 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

Hello!

I'm not a very big expert in Budyonnovka, but I can say that this infantry winter Budyonnovka early model (1920s) looks pretty authentic. I only doubt the authenticity of the little metallic red star on it.

What is the size of big crimson star ?

Dear Mikhail,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and valuable information to our query.

As I said, the hat belongs to my cousin who is away on vacation. I will know the size as son as he comes back in early of July.

By the way, how many cm should be in order to be authentic?

As I understood, have you doubt only for the badge cockade authentication?

5 hours ago, Vasileios said:

Dear Mikhail,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and valuable information to our query.

As I said, the hat belongs to my cousin who is away on vacation. I will know the size as son as he comes back in early of July.

By the way, how many cm should be in order to be authentic?

As I understood, have you doubt only for the badge cockade authentication?

Dear Members,

any comments will be most appreciated & welcome.