Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Allen Wedgwood memorial stone, Marlborough

Moonraker

I have passed this stone many times, oblivious to it being a memorial of the Great War, perhaps because of the worn inscription.

CWGC

The stone was presented by Allen's mother, whose husband created a herbarium to his son's  memory at Marlborough College. See the Natural History Museum.

IIRC the stone is actually on the playing fields, which are the private property of the college.

(It's a pity that the memorial signpost a few miles away to Old Marlburian Charles Hamilton Sorley does not have the benefit of an explanatory plaque. I did approach the college a few years ago to suggest this, but did not receive a reply.)

Edited by Moonraker

I went to Marlborough College and don't remember seeing this stone. Unobservant me. Roughly where is it on the palying fields, Moonraker?

Grid reference 181698. I can't see it marked on modern maps but see this 25in map revised in 1943

Work your way up from the main college buildings around the A4, through the college playing fields and past the pavilion to Wedgwood Field. "War memorial" is marked close to "Club House".

Got it. I think I played for the 4thXV somewhere there but don't remember it being called Wedgwood Field in the 1960s when I was there (with my great friend Christopher Martin-Jenkins). I still don't remember seeing it!

• 5 months later...

I was passing by yesterday so took this photo, which gives a clearer view of the inscription.

WedgwoodmemorialMarlborough.jpg.c3fe81ac03bce7c63ba8d816d43a9fb8.jpg

The area around the stone is very nicely maintained.

Note that the stone stands on the edge of College playing fields, with no general admittance to the public, though I don't suppose any checks are made on spectators at matches.

(Just over the hedge is Marlborough Old Cemetery with a number of WWI and WWII war graves, including that of Engineer Commander P C A Hillier,  of HMS Colombo, died October 30, 1918.)