Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs wanted for volume 3 of my Great War badge books - The Royal Scots TF Battalions

poona guard

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the offer which I am very keen to take up. I am still working on it so your offer is very timely. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best,

Dave

1 hour ago, poona guard said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the offer which I am very keen to take up. I am still working on it so your offer is very timely. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

thin strip of yellow cloth worn on each shoulder strap by 1/6th West Yorkshire Regiment. The jacket this is on belonged to L/Cpl Fred Drury 5th later 6th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. These strips of cloth worn late 1918 into 1919.

IMG_1372.jpeg

1 hour ago, poona guard said:

Brillaint Mark, Please could you send one that is  little farther away so that the shoulder is seen?

Dave

Here you go DaveIMG_1378.jpeg.5655aecf670be6b2f4443bc20b15a995.jpeg

Hi,

Wouldn't the 1/6 W Yorks have worn a yellow T shape on the right sleeve and on the back of the collar?

Best regards,

Ken

A good point Ken> I am trying to work it out but not getting anywhere. It all looks pukka, so intriguing. I wonder if its a BAOR tunic and he was in the 1/5th?

Hi Dave,

The 1/5 to 1/8 W Yorks were all in 146 Bde, 49 (West Riding) Division and wore respectively green, yellow, red and blue T shapes on the right upper sleeve and on the back.

The 147 MG Coy in 147 Bde wore a yellow strip in the middle of the shoulder strap plus a yellow circle on the back.

Best regards,

Ken

I can’t answer the specifics of why only part Battalion insignia however the owner of the jacket was also entitled to four overseas chevrons which were never stitched to the jacket. He was a released PoW so the jacket is in very good condition no evidence of removal of badges the yellow tapes were in the pocket along with a missing pocket button. 

Hi Mark Holden and Poona Guard,

Did a bit more digging on this thread, in the book WW1 Battle Insignia by Kevin Beckhurst published in 2017 by Military Mode, in the section on the W Yorks it has a coloured Illustration (not a photo) of the ahoulder strap of the 5 Bn showing a green tape along the base while serving with Northern Division in 1919. 

Northern Division was formed from 3 Division in March 1919, and the 5 and 6 W Yorks served in its 2 Northern Bde from March to November 1919.

So it's not a great stretch of the imagination that 6 Bn wore a yellow strip on the shoulder straps.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ken

On 10/08/2023 at 20:02, KENDO said:

Hi Mark Holden and Poona Guard,

Did a bit more digging on this thread, in the book WW1 Battle Insignia by Kevin Beckhurst published in 2017 by Military Mode, in the section on the W Yorks it has a coloured Illustration (not a photo) of the ahoulder strap of the 5 Bn showing a green tape along the base while serving with Northern Division in 1919. 

Northern Division was formed from 3 Division in March 1919, and the 5 and 6 W Yorks served in its 2 Northern Bde from March to November 1919.

So it's not a great stretch of the imagination that 6 Bn wore a yellow strip on the shoulder straps.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

that was my source as well the book is based on the IWM survey of 1917 and later if I recall correctly?

Mark

Hi Mark,

There was a first round of letters sent out in 1917 during the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele). A second round of letters was sent out in 1919 -1921 when most of the wartime units had been disbanded.

Both sets of replies have been gathered together in eight volumes and are available to view by appointment in the reading room of the IWM.

The survey remains incomplete as many battalions did not reply to the surveys.

Best regards,

Ken