Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.N.Misurata.

Dave66

Evening all,

I’m looking for a little help, i have an engraved small I inch shell casing, engraved R.N. Misurata, with a GA or AG monogram…the casing is dated 4-15. I am trying to pin down which Misurata it is, I can find reference to an Italian steamer, sunk 150 miles west of Ireland by u-boat. I can also find a reference to an armed yacht named the Misurata….there’s probably more, so can someone kindly point me in the right direction.

I initially thought it was a flare case, but after posting it in the thread below I was told they are 1 inch aiming tube cases…https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/271025-flares/#comment-2753463

Pics below,

best wishes,

Dave.

21C1BA46-E0AD-4FC8-99A7-9EA239E499CF.jpeg

179D9733-5A0A-461A-96A5-F7219F14ED6F.jpeg

3249D970-FBC4-4745-B99E-EF3CE877AA7B.jpeg

E583C980-BB01-40B3-80F8-9EDA8AAF34C1.jpeg

Edited by Dave66

Dave

I don't know if this adds anything to your research but here is a not terribly good picture of the Regia Marina armed yacht (Armato) R N MISURATA,  the R N is an initialisation for Regia Nave, (Royal Warship) she is is flying an Italian Naval Ensign and appears to be in Taranto judging by the swing bridge.  Built in 1894 she was 700 tons and 191.5 feet in length steam driven with a single screw.  According to Janes she carried two 14 pdr Anti Aircraft guns, she was one of six yachts taken up by the Regia Marina and armed. She was struck off charge in 1924.

I would imagine that this yacht was the origin of your aiming tube cases or certainly the vessel commemorated on one of them..

At present I cannot find her original owner prior to WW1 though it would not be a huge coincidence if it turned out to be 1st Conte Giuseppe Volpi di Misurata an Italian entrepreneur and politician, however as he was only 17 when the yacht was built he would not have been its first owner.

Tony

Misurata.jpg.10ef204647675fab47f7c6d36cd33335.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Tony,

I rarely venture into all things naval so I have a somewhat limited knowledge, and as I was muddling my R.M’s and my R.N’s it really is no wonder I failed to pin it down, so an exceptionally big thank you for clarifying which one…and the photo just rounds off and finishes the story nicely.

The Italian armed yacht Misurata is mentioned in these dispatches from the Egyptian campaign, No29845, in section three where a Captain Como is commended.https://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishLGDispatchesArmy1916-17.htm

Best Wishes,

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

She is also mentioned here   13. Albania (1913-present) (uca.edu)

Following he outbreak of the First World War, Austrian and German military officers departed from Durazzo (Durrës) beginning on August 2, 1914.  Albanian insurgents captured Valona (Vlorë) on August 21, 1914. The international multinational force, which had been deployed in Scutari (Shkodër) since June 1913, was withdrawn from Albania on August 23, 1914.  Prince William of Albania fled the country aboard the Italian yacht Misurata on September 3, 1914, and the ICC assumed control of the Albanian government on September 4, 1914.  

This Steam Yacht was originally called ‘Arrow’ when first built in 1894 (Wm Hamilton Shipyard, Glasgow).
Purchased by the Regia Marina in 1912.

MB

Thank you both for that extra info….it all helps.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

You are right for Italian, it is an Italian navy shell case (4 slotted Italian primers are navy). I suspect your case is a 25,4x95R31 for the 1 inch Nordenfelt.

MB is for Metallurgica Brescian.

Edited by Shell case collector