Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching medal set

tankengine888

6 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Smashing job!
slight question
Malta in 1915.. missing 1914-15 star perhaps? or maybe he forfeits that due to misconduct?
Very interesting research, I think you've definitely nailed him.

Zidane.

I don't know the answer to that. But the medal roll clearly is BWM and VM only. @horatio2 will be able to answer. Maybe Malta was not considered a theatre of war?

6 minutes ago, nhclark said:

I think he served with the Royal West Kents as 4488 Edward POLLARD, enlisted 4th April 1895 at Maidstone.

Service record on FindMyPast. Again poor conduct. Description and name fits. Edward POLLARD crossed out and replaced with Cornelius BRIAN.

Mother Mary.

Evidently not the most disciplined soldier, though that makes him a more interesting character. How long did he last in the West Kents? I could only find the Royal Hospital [ancestry] entry that lists this Edward Pollard as 18 and born in Deptford, Kent.

Edited by tankengine888

3 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Evidently not the most disciplined soldier, though that makes him a more interesting character. How long did he last in the West Kents? I could only find the Royal Hospital [ancestry] entry that lists this Edward Pollard as 18 and born in Deptford, Kent.

FindMyPast. Discharged 7th June 1902 "Disgraceful conduct of an indecent kind."

Just now, nhclark said:

FindMyPast. Discharged 7th June 1902 "Disgraceful conduct of an indecent kind."

1895 - 1902... Boer War service by chance?

2 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

1895 - 1902... Boer War service by chance?

No, Home then in India.

3 minutes ago, nhclark said:

No, Home then in India.

Sorry to ask many questions but I assume he was 1st Battalion, correct?
It starts glooming over me that he'd seen O/S Military life and was presumably sick of it by 1916, but that's just an assumption.
Note: I've sent you a pm concerning another soldier

8 hours ago, nhclark said:

@horatio2 Have you ever seen this sort of entry before?

Such entries are not infrequently found in the records of men who were previously employed in the public services. e.g. GPO, Police but I do not understand the implications. Perhaps there were residual family support obligations on the employer?

Edited by horatio2

Perhaps it is not surprising that he failed to declare (as he was required to) his previous military service when he enrolled in the RNVR

Edited by horatio2

His enlistment was into what was originally the 97th Foot, which became the 2nd Battalion Royal West Kent in 1881. Aged 18 years and one month on 4th April 1895. He was at the Depot (both battalions) in Maidstone and then on 1st October 1898 he elected to come under the provisions relating to messing allowance and that entry is marked "1st" (Battalion). Permitted to extend his service on 26th October 1901. On 22nd January 1902 came the offence, and he was sentenced to 1 year I.H.L. (??) and to be discharged. His service record shows Home 4/4/1895 to 29/11/1897 and then India 30/11/1897 to 28/5/1902 when he was discharged.

However, just looking at some other sources I have:
In June 1898 the 1st Battalion was at Dum Dum (Calcutta);
December 1898: Dum Dum for Burma
May 1899: Burma
October 1899: Aden
February 1900: Aden

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Own_Royal_West_Kent_Regiment#1881–1914

Edited by nhclark