The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli request Hospital Ship name

FionaBam

Fiona,

With Canadian records you need to click on the underlined blue text which is about half way down the middle of the link you opened. It is not obvious to first-timers. This will give you the rest of the pages.

Glad you got Peter Barham's book, I think you will find it interesting.

Regards,

Alf McM

6 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Fiona,

With Canadian records you need to click on the underlined blue text which is about half way down the middle of the link you opened. It is not obvious to first-timers. This will give you the rest of the pages.

Glad you got Peter Barham's book, I think you will find it interesting.

Regards,

Alf McM

Ah got it ! Thank you Alf - I wasnt clicking there correctly!  

Indeed I am sure I will. 

Cheers

Fiona 

Fiona,

During the Great War, and for many years before and after, the main qualification for a Mental Attendants was the Nursing Certificate of the Medical-Psychological Association of Great Britain & Ireland. This would also presumably be the R.A.M.C.’s qualification for trained mental orderlies, and mental guards.

The attached sheets show the questions for the exams in 1912. These are recorded in the 1912 Annual Report of the Edinburgh District Asylum, Bangour. The nursing staff would study for 2 or 3 years, being given lectures and training by the resident medical staff, and presumably the Matron. Staff were encouraged to take this qualification.

Regards,

Alf McM

image.png.1d6c112174b7389beb0f168acc07d9da.png

image.png.1a00b3977de42e0a0cea0430cb4d7dce.png

On 15/06/2023 at 12:39, alf mcm said:

Fiona,

During the Great War, and for many years before and after, the main qualification for a Mental Attendants was the Nursing Certificate of the Medical-Psychological Association of Great Britain & Ireland. This would also presumably be the R.A.M.C.’s qualification for trained mental orderlies, and mental guards.

The attached sheets show the questions for the exams in 1912. These are recorded in the 1912 Annual Report of the Edinburgh District Asylum, Bangour. The nursing staff would study for 2 or 3 years, being given lectures and training by the resident medical staff, and presumably the Matron. Staff were encouraged to take this qualification.

Regards,

Alf McM

image.png.1d6c112174b7389beb0f168acc07d9da.png

image.png.1a00b3977de42e0a0cea0430cb4d7dce.png

Hi Alf

I find this so impressive as a syllabus for how to care for people with mental ill health.  I was really pleased to see it and whilst bearing in mind the "results " listed are from  the hospital in the spotlight with maximum available resources , it was there to show how the best could be done at that time.and it must have rippled through to the services on the front line as guidance if not stronger than that.

Thank you for posting it 

Cheers 

Fiona 

Edited by FionaBam
Correct a word