Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8943 Pt. H.W Douch RAMC

Evan

46 minutes ago, TEW said:

Just a theory at present will check more lists.

Happy digging. A slight sprained ankle shouldn't provoke a posting to another hospital or FA. By 1916 the need for fit men for the FAs must have been great.

I note that with the 8thFA in May 1917 he looks to have been with that bearer party that was gassed? The 8FA diary is thin on OR detail apart from the odd MM. 

From the 21314 list extract I've now found 8556 Jones transferred from 14GH to 13 SH 24/10/1915 and then transferred again from 13SH to 19 Ambulance Train 19/1/1916.

Fingers crossed!

TEW

On 12/12/2022 at 23:46, TEW said:

Thanks, it took a while to go through all those diaries!

Interesting sick/wounded list as it had the other six men from 14GH admitted with measles that the 14GH diary mentions. So list 21314 is admissions to 14GH.

I may have to trawl the base diaries again!

TEW

Hello TEW, I was interested in your post on this thread, and the black and white image from 14GH.  Are there similar documents for 14GH for December 1917, when my grandfather was admitted?  Also, on the document you posted, is there anything on it which signifies it is from 14GH?

Thank you.

Just now, Mansell said:

Hello TEW, I was interested in your post on this thread, and the black and white image from 14GH.  Are there similar documents for 14GH for December 1917, when my grandfather was admitted?  Also, on the document you posted, is there anything on it which signifies it is from 14GH?

Thank you.

And would you know what this image refers to?  I have a subscription to Find My Past now. 

SICK & WOUNDED NCOs AND MEN.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Thank you.

And would you know what this image refers to?  I have a subscription to Find My Past now. 

SICK & WOUNDED NCOs AND MEN.jpg

sorry, I meant this one.

SICK & WOUNDED NCOs AND MEN - PTE A MANSELL.jpg

Mansell,

The list you refer to dated 15/5/15 that starts with 2401 Stuart, list #21314?

I only established that list as 14GH based on the six RAMC men admitted with measles. The diary for 14 GH mentions six personnel admitted for measles. The visible extract will all be admissions to 14GH.

Your other attachment with 300329 Mansell is the same type of list as 21314 but they changed into a new format.

It's frustrating to find partial lists like this, you're missing a date, what the event is and which hospital was involved.

I can tentatively date it to December 1917 - January 1918 based on those those marked GSW. It may be the event you are after! 

I refer to these lists as Sick/Wounded Lists. Due to the paper shortages the records offices used the reverse of the lists once they had served their purpose. So, they end up in soldiers' service records, sometimes complete or torn like yours. They rarely if ever have anything to do with the soldier whose record it is in.

Find my Past saw the value in indexing these random lists which I suspect is how you came across it. Ancestry should also have this list but their's are not indexed.

The only way of gleaning more from this list would be to either search Military FMP for the other names/numbers on the list which can sometimes find another copy which is complete although you may end up viewing the same portion 22 times!

Alternatively, Search FMP for service or pension records for the other men and hope you find a few records that show an injury late 1917 to Jan 1918 with the same hospital involved. That would at least provide a probable link for Mansell to the same hospital. If a variety of hospitals show up then all you have is the base area IE.  Havre, Rouen etc.

At present there is no way to look for a list by date or hospital, only by name/number.

The lists in general do seem to have quite a few errors with name/numbers so don't take the details as gospel, check for medal details as confirmation. EG. 306052 Charlton is actually 36052. 

At various times they were producing 30+ lists per day and only a small percentage have survived.

Hope that helps

TEW

37 minutes ago, TEW said:

Mansell,

The list you refer to dated 15/5/15 that starts with 2401 Stuart, list #21314?

I only established that list as 14GH based on the six RAMC men admitted with measles. The diary for 14 GH mentions six personnel admitted for measles. The visible extract will all be admissions to 14GH.

Your other attachment with 300329 Mansell is the same type of list as 21314 but they changed into a new format.

It's frustrating to find partial lists like this, you're missing a date, what the event is and which hospital was involved.

I can tentatively date it to December 1917 - January 1918 based on those those marked GSW. It may be the event you are after! 

I refer to these lists as Sick/Wounded Lists. Due to the paper shortages the records offices used the reverse of the lists once they had served their purpose. So, they end up in soldiers' service records, sometimes complete or torn like yours. They rarely if ever have anything to do with the soldier whose record it is in.

Find my Past saw the value in indexing these random lists which I suspect is how you came across it. Ancestry should also have this list but their's are not indexed.

The only way of gleaning more from this list would be to either search Military FMP for the other names/numbers on the list which can sometimes find another copy which is complete although you may end up viewing the same portion 22 times!

Alternatively, Search FMP for service or pension records for the other men and hope you find a few records that show an injury late 1917 to Jan 1918 with the same hospital involved. That would at least provide a probable link for Mansell to the same hospital. If a variety of hospitals show up then all you have is the base area IE.  Havre, Rouen etc.

At present there is no way to look for a list by date or hospital, only by name/number.

The lists in general do seem to have quite a few errors with name/numbers so don't take the details as gospel, check for medal details as confirmation. EG. 306052 Charlton is actually 36052. 

At various times they were producing 30+ lists per day and only a small percentage have survived.

Hope that helps

TEW

TEW, this is very useful and fascinating, as all your posts are, and I'm very grateful for your time.  In saying the GSW enables you to date the record, does that mean you have cross-referenced against pension or medal records?  I'd be interested to try that if you wouldn't mind explaining the procedure?  Thanks again, Howard 

Mansell, PM sent

TEW