Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The bullet that started the war

Amitmis

Hi guys,

I'm writing a novel about WW1 and I'm wondering about the bullet that killed Ferdinand.

What happened to it after it went through the archduke? At some point someone must've picked it up, right? Take it somewhere, keep it somewhere? What is the timeline of the bullet's life from the moment it was manufactured and up to this day?

Thank you so much in advance! I'll definitely be mentioning this forum in the "Special Thanks" section of the book :-)

It was a .38 caliber bullet and hit the archduke in the neck I understand. Do we know for sure that it actually passed through him, or did it remain lodged in the neck? It is not a particularly powerful round, but then again it was fired from quite a close range.

William

I suggest you ask one question and one question only in each thread.

Posting a list of 7 or 8 questions means answers piling in in no particular order and makes the thread difficult to follow, if not pointless.

I have seen the pistol that fired the bullet which is in Vienna, although, I can't recall seeing the bullet itself.. From memory a lot of the items associated with the assasination were given to a local priest in Sarajevo and later passed into the hands of a monestary. It is possible that the bullet was amongst these items and perhaps some research might identify the priest concerned.

What we have so far then is that nobody really knows and it is unlikely that the real truth will ever be be discovered. Does it really matter? The prologue to the outbreak of WW1 is far more complex than that.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves