Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research information on soldier.

Augustin

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Looking at medal roll I see his 14/15 Star has him as 1358 Driver, 1st Highland Bde RFA. Entry France 2/5/15.

His service record says France 1/5/16-28/6/16,( that will all be RFA) then home, then back to France with RE 2/2/18. So his Labour Corps service was all in UK.

11 hours ago, charlie962 said:

You have plenty to write up.

Can I ask what is your interest please?

Charlie

Someone asked me to find this man who has a Scottish ancestor who married a French woman in December 1918.

2 hours ago, Augustin said:

Someone asked me to find this man who has a Scottish ancestor who married a French woman in December 1918.

Thanks. I wonder if he/she has further info? 

11 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Ok. I hope he finds this interesting.

I certainly did Charlie.  Well done you!

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Ok. I hope he finds this interesting.

I suspect a chronological summary will help the OP.  We who are steeped in this can tend to forget how impenetrable/confusing it can be to others less familiar.

I was sort of leaving that to Augustin, on the assumption he is 'assez experimenté'.

I would hope that he would then flash a copy before us if further explanation or clarification was required before passing to his contact, who is probably not well informed? 

But happy to summarise if needed?

Charlie 

I am curious to know how his family coped post WW2!

Edited by charlie962

17 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I was sort of leaving that to Augustin, on the assumption he is 'assez experimenté'.

I would hope that he would then flash a copy before us if further explanation or clarification was required before passing to his contact, who is probably not well informed? 

But happy to summarise if needed?

Charlie

I’m sure it would be helpful to Augustin, who might not be so familiar in a second language.  Imagine us trying to explain this relatively complex sequence in French.

67F247F3-6824-4DF6-89B6-635C08F9F25E.jpeg

6AE64435-7A7C-4306-9768-CC42C73E1036.jpeg

A5069A9F-594D-4989-8089-140FC2012192.jpeg

D5E5D2AC-9163-4B08-A047-2EE970DB7EB7.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Ok. J'essayerai plus tard ce soir!

It’s just a suggestion, nothing more than that.  These explanations often come out piecemeal over the length of a thread and can be difficult for the unfamiliar to follow.  

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

"..........Imagine us trying to explain this relatively complex sequence in French."

D5E5D2AC-9163-4B08-A047-2EE970DB7EB7.jpeg

........ surely IWGC?

IWGC.jpg

3 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

........ surely IWGC?

IWGC.jpg

Yes, but unlike you I could not find an image, despite a half hour search.  Thank you.

Edited by FROGSMILE

@Terry_Reeves

Can I please pick your brain on part of this man's service please?

Joseph Nelson from Aberdeen (a member of Aberdeen's Silver City Homing Pigeon Society) had served in France with the RFA TF then at Home with the Labour Corps, and I suspect as a result of health was transferred to the RE Pigeon Service in Jan 1918. He has a heavily damaged service record that shows he was issued RE no 406571 c6/1/1918. On 2/2/18 he landed back in France and this is a little snippet from his record, courtesy Findmypast

chrome_screenshot_1668718168370.png.815fada32315e398fac71d76f31d3540.png I wondered whether that little squiggle under Pigeon might relate to say Mobile Loft no16? If so, do you know anything about that unit? I looked at Howard Williamson's GWCompanion vol3 but it's not mentioned.

Prior to this in Jan he was M Company which I assume was Depot, Chatham? By the time he got married Dec 1918 he was S Corps Signal Co, which I presume was attached to VIII Corps?

Any thoughts/corrections please?

Thanks,

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

There is a war diary for the Pigeon Service

which may or may not assist with your query

pigeon.JPG.232dda3d2c81d5e0a8976ad3a1f7217b.JPG

Here is the Link     Free to download from the National Archives you will have to register first (also free)

Ray

49 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

@Terry_Reeves

Can I please pick your brain on part of this man's service please?

Joseph Nelson from Aberdeen (a member of Aberdeen's Silver City Homing Pigeon Society) had served in France with the RFA TF then at Home with the Labour Corps, and I suspect as a result of health was transferred to the RE Pigeon Service in Jan 1918. He has a heavily damaged service record that shows he was issued RE no 406571 c6/1/1918. On 2/2/18 he landed back in France and this is a little snippet from his record, courtesy Findmypast

chrome_screenshot_1668718168370.png.815fada32315e398fac71d76f31d3540.png I wondered whether that little squiggle under Pigeon might relate to say Mobile Loft no16? If so, do you know anything about that unit? I looked at Howard Williamson's GWCompanion vol3 but it's not mentioned.

Prior to this in Jan he was M Company which I assume was Depot, Chatham? By the time he got married Dec 1918 he was S Corps Signal Co, which I presume was attached to VIII Corps?

Any thoughts/corrections please?

Thanks,

Charlie

Charlie M Depot Company was at St Mary’s Barracks, Chatham, an old Napoleonic war casemated barracks to the rear of Brompton Barracks.

S Corps Signal Company became 18 Corps Signal Company. 

With regard to lofts, I have not seen a PS record that records a loft. 

TR

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Thanks. I see where I went wrong with my search terms.

Charlie

Sorry, my internet connection collapsed. There is no diary for that date. I have also checked the RE library catalogue, no luck there either I’m afraid.

TR