Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS 'Clan Macnaughton'

Mark Hone

Thanks for this additional interesting information. I hope to add some of the material generated by this thread to a planned update of William Brown's Roll of Honour entry. 

• 2 years later...

An interesting thread.  My paternal grandfather Royal Marine Pte. Robert Cosstick was on the SS Clan McNaughton when it went down in the Irish Sea in February 1915.  As mentioned previously, he wrote to my grandmother deploring the parlous state of the ship, which I understand had been converted from a cargo ship to a warship.  He also indicated that she would go down in the next bout of bad weather.  Apparently his letter, and no doubt others, was used as evidence at the tribunal investigating the ship's disappearance.   My grandmother became a young widow with a four year-old and three-month old twins, one of whom was my father.

Some years ago I visited the Chatham Naval Memorial in the Great Lines Memorial Park and was moved to read his name on the Obelisk, along with many other naval personnel who have no known grave.

Edited by Cosstick