Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS 'Clan Macnaughton'

Mark Hone

Chris,

Don very kindly emailed me the complete list. Does anyone have a photo of the ship? I've "googled" to no avail.

Lionboxer

Any Surgeons, Sick Berth Attendants etc on that list please

Chris

This was posted on the net by a Ken Wilson-Wheeler a couple of years ago. He proposes that loss was due to weather and instability due to modifications. Phil B

I have long been fascinated by this ship and her loss. I have read and

re-read every scrap information I can find on her.

She was a pre-war merchant ship, which was requisitioned in November 1914

when she returned to her home port of Tilbury. She was then hastily

converted into something she was never intended to be - a warship, which

would have included mounting guns up on deck - well above her normal centre

of gravity. A hotch potch crew was then cobbled together for her: Career RN

officers, although her engineer officers had all been Merchant Navy, some

career RN Ratings, but many of the rest of her crew were reservists

including some men from Newfoundland, one or two RN pensioners, plus no less

than 50 boys straight out of the training shore base at Shotley, H.M.S.

Ganges. All in all, a motley bunch who would have been completely unfamiliar

with the ship and how she sailed.

She sailed for patrol duties in the North Atlantic a few days before

Christmas 1914, but had to put into Liverpool on the way, seemingly for some

problem to be sorted but I have never been able to find out what it was. She

returned to Liverpool certainly once, perhaps twice before her loss in

February 1915. She was in radio contact at about 6 a.m. on the morning of 3

February 1915 and reported terrible weather conditions. Nothing further was

ever heard of her. Some floating wreckage was found about fortnight later

in the approximate area of her last known position but it could not be

identified as having come from her. The truth is that no one knows for

certain what did happen to her. The mine theory was put forward as a

possible cause of the loss. But, if you think about it, surely the odds must

be seriously stacked against a ship encountering a drifting mine out in the

Atlantic Ocean? Personally speaking, I believe that the real cause of her

loss was a combination of three factors: An Atlantic gale, she had been

converted into something she had never been designed to be with those guns

quite possibly making her top heavy in such weather, and real mixture of a

crew, who had only limited experience of the ship and how she sailed.

Regards,

Ken.

(In West Sussex, UK)

post-2329-1146305821.jpg

Ken

is it OK if I use that photo please for a memorial website I'm preparing for my church as one of the casualties is commemorated there

Chris

Any Surgeons, Sick Berth Attendants etc on that list please

Chris

Don would you like to do the honours or should I? I don't want to steal your thunder!!

Lionboxer

PhilB

Thanks for that. I think that's about as difinitive a description I'll get. I tried "googling" images for HMS Clan Macnaughton but nothing come up, and now tried SS in the search and two images came up though none like yours which is the better one. My reason for posting the topic is that my G/grandfathers step-son was lost on her. My sister has his death plaque, medals, Kings letter and photo of him who until now hadn't realised their significance as they were "put away". There was only a dim memory of someone with family connections drowning in the war.

Lionboxer

See here for an obituary of one of the casualties

Chris

• 2 months later...

And an Ashfordian -

KNIGHT E.G

Boy 1st Class J/27640 (note similar number to A.W Taylor’s) Ernest George KNIGHT. H.M.S “Clan McNaughton”. Royal Navy. Died 3rd February 1915 aged only 16 years. Son of Sam Knight of 1 Lewis Cottage, Vicarage Lane, Kennington, Ashford, Kent. Formerly Vicarage Lane, Kenninton. Ernest has no known grave. His name appears on the Chatham Memorial, Chatham, Kent. Panel reference 10.

The Ashford Absentee Voters List for 1918 gives –

Burton Cottage, Kennington

Company Sergeant Major 22188 William Frederick KNIGHT. Machine Gun Corps.

The 1901 census gives –

Vicarage Lane, Kennington

Sam KNIGHT 36 years Foreman Timber Yard Newchurch

Emily 11 years Kennington

Bessie 10 years Kennington

Mabel 8 years Kennington

William 6 years Kennington

Ernest G 2 years Kennington

H.M.S Clan McNaughton a Chatham (Kent) based ship was employed on blockade duty when she disappeared. Wreckage but no survivors were found and it is presumed that she was mined. The ships captain was Cdr Robert Jefferys. A total of 261 men lost their lives, mainly sailors from the Kent area. There were no survivors.

• 1 month later...

My Grandfather was a Royal Marine aboard the ill-fated Clan McNaughton.

His name was William Banks,a private in, Royal Marine Light Infantry (Chat.18934) who died Intestate on the 3rd February 1915.

I have the Certificate of the inspector of seamen's wills.

His residue of wages 18 shillings and 1 pence,

Compensation for loss of effects 7 pounds 10shillings and 5 pence,

War gratuity 5 pounds,

Naval prize fund 12 pounds 10 shillings,

Final share of naval prize fund 18 pounds 15 shillings(paid 17 Nov 1922),

Supplementary prize share paid 2pounds 10 shillings(paid 17 Nov 1923).

I have lost touch with my grandfather's family.

clark

The concensus opinion seems to be that she foundered in a gale.. She was part of the 'D' Patrol west of the Hebrides (see Julian Thompson - 'The War at Sea 1914-1918'). My wife's great-uncle served in HMS ESKIMO on these patrols and she had to be taken out of service because of stability problems caused by her new armament.

From his diary "We were on patrol for four days [NW of Orkney] when we encountered bad weather, and, owing to using coal in the bottom of the ship and the heavy topweight of the guns on deck, the ship took a heavy list to starboard which rendered her unsafe. We then had instructions to return to Scapa Flow and we had a list of forty degrees on our arrival there. ... she was unstable...was then considered unfit for service and we paid off [on 31 Mar 1915]."

The combination of an unstable ship and foul weather could have sealed CLAN McNAUGHTON's fate.

H2

Previous thread here

Chris

Would there have been a board of enquiry or any such thing as to the circumstances of Clan M's loss? Are there any reports or ships logs still extant anywhere?

Lionboxer

• 1 year later...
Guest Steve Baybut

Hi.

I´m currently researching the war dead of the village where i work. One of these was the Captain, Commander robert Jeffreys. Does anyone know anything about him?

Steve Baybut

• 1 year later...

Okay, I'm confused... First please excuse me if I get something wrong as I am new to this, but I have just got my great-grandfather's Navy service record and he served on the Clan McNaughton from 23 Dec 1914 to 3 Feb 1915. But he certainly wasn't lost as he is then registered as being on Pembroke II from the 4 Feb 1915 and served on many other ships.

He was a shipwright so I was wondering whether my great-grandfather could have been involved in fitting out the Clan McNaughton. If the Clan McNaughton left port on the 3 Feb 1915 then it is possible my grandfather was not on it as he had finished the fitting out. This of course assumes the Clan McNaughton left port on the 3 Feb 1915, is this the case as I have been unable to find any evidence of this?

The only alternative is that he was a survivor, but this is contrary to eveyone saying that all hands were lost.

All help to clear up this mystery is very much appreciated.

Okay, I'm confused... First please excuse me if I get something wrong as I am new to this, but I have just got my great-grandfather's Navy service record and he served on the Clan McNaughton from 23 Dec 1914 to 3 Feb 1915. But he certainly wasn't lost as he is then registered as being on Pembroke II from the 4 Feb 1915 and served on many other ships.

He was a shipwright so I was wondering whether my great-grandfather could have been involved in fitting out the Clan McNaughton. If the Clan McNaughton left port on the 3 Feb 1915 then it is possible my great-grandfather was not on it as he had finished the fitting out. This of course assumes the Clan McNaughton left port on the 3 Feb 1915, is this the case as I have been unable to find any evidence of this?

The only alternative is that he was a survivor, but this is contrary to eveyone saying that all hands were lost.

All help to clear up this mystery is very much appreciated.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I have had a quick look through this thread & cannot see the name of the Royal Marine Light Infantry man I am researching. He was Corporal Arthur Galtress CH/16717. He died when the ship foundered. he was from York & was 21. Regards, sheilmar.

He is listed as one of the 255 casualties on the CWGC site: Click Link

Note the ship's name is given as Clan McNaughton (not Mac).

Terry

Hi Robin.

I am researching your great uncle, Arthur Galtress. I have photos of the Prayer-stool dedicated to him in St Helen's Church, York. Could we exchange notes please? Regards sheilmar

Hi Robin.

I am researching your great uncle, Arthur Galtress. I have photos of the Prayer-stool dedicated to him in St Helen's Church, York. Could we exchange notes please? Regards sheilmar

Pleased to have contact .. followed up elsewhere

R

• 2 months later...

I now have the 'Attestation Pack' for my great Uncle Arthur Gltress who was lost on Clan McNaughton

any thanks to the Fleet Air Arrm Museum archives for their help ... Yse these documents are held by FAAM.

Arthur Gatress is named on several memorials and a 20 page memorial document is now being added to the list at St Martnin, Coney Street, York (aka St MArtin Le Grand) where he had been a choir boy.

Robin