Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Huge battery near fromelles

Tom Oliviers

be carefull inside as there lies other uxo's, thisone, not even shure it is munitions, but it feels like it is munition...

if you dont know what it is, do like me, dont touch it ;) 

UTR -- 13 11 2022 BFA (23).jpg

18 hours ago, Tom Oliviers said:

Ive layered the map on google earth

You might like to try TrenchMapper. The maps are already georeferenced to Google Maps or other maps.

Just put the map reference in the box on the left, 36.N.21.a.7.6 or look for Anna Switch in the Advanced Search.

Near the bottom of the map list on the botton left is an aerial photo. To see it quicker, Right Click and choose Map ID jump and use id=p_005538

Howard

thnx for the tip^Howard, i use the national library of scotland many times with georeferenced maps, but for the german aspect i prefer german trenchmaps which i download from invenio bundesarchiv online (bundesarchiv freiburg), tons of maps are free for download there on high quality, as well as other german documents about stellungsbau and units. I've downloaded the entire bundesarchiv to a hard drive just to make shure i have the maps in case this website goes offline :D 

UPDATE

Before i need to reply in PM to all: heres how invenio bundesarchive works, in the beginning its a bit huge, but when working with it every day you learn the handling

You go to "suche ohne anmeldung", then you can search in "suche" or you go to the trenchmaps following navigierende suche:

Bestande --> Norddeutscher Bund und Deutsches Reich (1867/1871-1945) --> militär --> Preußische Armee 1867 bis 1918/1919 --> PH 3 Kart Oberste Heeresleitung / Großer Generalstab und Kommandobehörden des Deutschen Heeres.- Karten

then a sub "klassification" opens, there you follow: PH 3 bestandverzeichnis --> 1 PH 3 Kart Oberste Heeresleitung -- > then you can choose the fronts, as for westfront follow "westfront", choose the country and following the location (its classified per country and location, not per AOK)

You dont have to login or some kind, all is free and without login possible to get

Edited by Tom Oliviers

Hello (Dag :) ) Tom,

we are going to the Fromelles next week. Are there other hidden gems that you know of that we should visit? Or stuff that we should definitely see.

Ypres (de Westhoek) has no more secrets for us, but for me it's the first time in northern France (outside of Verdun).

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, vincentg said:

Hello (Dag :) ) Tom,

we are going to the Fromelles next week. Are there other hidden gems that you know of that we should visit? Or stuff that we should definitely see.

Ypres (de Westhoek) has no more secrets for us, but for me it's the first time in northern France (outside of Verdun).

Thank you.

No more secrets around Ypres? I don't believe that.

Anyway, there's plenty in and around Fromelles. Lots on private property though. I think you should start with the museum in Fromelles.

Hello, im now at work so i cant do much, but here a print screen from the bunkers between aubers and fromelles. 

Are you familiare with google earth? I can sinds you a kmz file with all bunkers in it. I just need ure email then.

Edit, for some reason the picture fases away? Ill update it when im home.

Edited by Tom Oliviers

Here the kmz-file (open with google earth) for Abschnitt "D", in the Gruppe Aubers (AOK 6)

Regards

Tom

Abschnitt D.kmz