Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assistance Requested: Identifying a Uniform

PEIslander

I'm trying to determine which branch my great-grandmother, Evelyn Martha Marshall served with during the war. The family legend is that she was originally born in India in 1895 and served as a nurse during the war. She married my great grandfather Lawrence Ivy Marshall in 1918, whom she met while he was wounded, and emigrated to Prince Edward Island, Canada following the war. 

I suspect she was a member of the QMAAC based on what she is wearing in the photo. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Resized_Evelyn_Williams-Marshall_in_uniform.jpg

30 minutes ago, johntanner said:

What was her surname before marriage?

Williams

18 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Evelyn married Lawrence Ivy Marshall in Amesbury in 1918.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf. He died in 1959 and is buried in the family plot on Prince Edward Island. He served with the 48th Highlanders of Canada. We have plenty of information regarding Lawrence's side of the family and service history, but Evelyn remains a mystery to us.

20211111_094058.jpg

May I suggest you obtain a copy of Evelyn's marraige cirtificate, which should show who Evelyns father was and his occupation 

which will give you a starting point

Ray

"I suspect she was a member of the QMAAC based on what she is wearing in the photo" 

The photo gives no factual indication of QMAAC but you may have another clue to her role at this time.

Sepoy posted the attached a few years back at:

QMAAC uniforms, badges, Rollestone Camp - Uniforms,Cap Badges and Insignia - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org)

He identified the badge below as the Womens Legion......his link to LLT description is well worth a read regarding the valuable work of Womens Legion. 

I'd offer it fits the profile of your relative's badge on the photo.

Womens Legion.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

5 hours ago, RaySearching said:

May I suggest you obtain a copy of Evelyn's marraige cirtificate, which should show who Evelyns father was and his occupation 

which will give you a starting point

Ray

Thanks Ray. I've found a point of contact for the marriage certificate and I'm trying to acquire a copy.

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

"I suspect she was a member of the QMAAC based on what she is wearing in the photo" 

The photo gives no factual indication of QMAAC but you may have another clue to her role at this time.

Sepoy posted the attached a few years back at:

QMAAC uniforms, badges, Rollestone Camp - Uniforms,Cap Badges and Insignia - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org)

He identified the badge below as the Womens Legion......his link to LLT description is well worth a read regarding the valuable work of Womens Legion. 

I'd offer it fits the profile of your relative's badge on the photo.

Womens Legion.jpg

The badge does look remarkably similar. Down another rabbit hole I go.

This is not a QMAAC uniform.  The presence of the badge of the Womens' Legion on the lapel strongly suggests that it is the uniform of that organisation

2 hours ago, royalredcross said:

This is not a QMAAC uniform.  The presence of the badge of the Womens' Legion on the lapel strongly suggests that it is the uniform of that organisation

So we've ruled out QMAAC, and the pin is from the Women's Legion. Does the uniform also belong to the Legion?

Interesting. I'm not sure this ties in though. They weren't married until 1918. But they did meet in 1917 when my GGF was in hospital.

A little bit clearer here again from Attestation Papers, which would have been amended after Marriage(?) Year not clear on WILL but I think it is 1918

Marriage reg June qtr 1918 i.e. April, May or June Amesbury (Wiltshire)

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 15.28.15.png

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 15.59.13.png

Edited by BarbaraG

Netheravon Camp/Airfield, Wiltshire is still an active military concern. It is currently the home of the Army Sport Parachute Association.  Here we have Women's Legion, RAF Netheravon.  Nice find. 

On 15/11/2022 at 16:27, BarbaraG said:

I'm thinking Evelyn may have been a Driver??? 

Maybe ........ why's that Barbara?

A bit obvious I guess to say wearing driving gloves! Also being based with RAF… Finally comparing ‘uniform’ with Joan - although Evelyn has added a certain stylish touch 🤔😂 

So absolutely no evidence what so ever!

B.

Thanks for the help everyone. Based on the hints above I took a deep dive into Lawrence's service record and confirmed that she was a member a member of the Women's Legion RAF stationed at Netheravon, Wiltshire. Is it possible to find records from the Women's Legion? We've been trying to identify Evelyn's parents. One of my relatives indicated that she was born in Bombay, India in 1895 while her father was serving there. Her mother may have died when she was young and she may have been raised by her father or a step-father named William Edwin Williams. She may have also had a brother named Dan or Daniel. 

Lawrence Marshall Seperation Pay Form.pdf

Edited by PEIslander

On 17/11/2022 at 12:54, PEIslander said:

One of my relatives indicated that she was born in Bombay, India in 1895 while her father was serving there.

There should be an birth record for her in India (if she was believed to have born there) to British parents

LINK

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The family tree is on Ancestry. Her father is said to have been William Edwin Williams, born in 1875 in Wales

Do you have a link to that tree? I've search it a few times and haven't found him in a tree or any record of a DOB.