Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QMAAC uniforms, badges, Rollestone Camp

Moonraker

Here's a postcard photograph with an inked inscription on its back saying these ladies are outside the 2MAAC hostel at Rollestone Camp, Salisbury Plain, on June 1st. ("2", of course, is a contemporary rendition of "Q".)  After "June 1st" someone has misleading added "'17", which at first I took to indicate 1917, until I realised that in that year the Corps was known as the Women's  Army Auxiliary Corps.QMAAC.jpg

I was going to add this photo to a couple of old threads that mention Rollestone, but thought that posting it here might elicit some comments about the various uniforms and badges (please). The lady at bottom left appears to still have "WAAC" on her epaulettes, and the lady in the centre looks like an officer.

Sadly, no clues as to the names of the ladies.

I wonder what it would have been like to have been part of a small group of women in a camp where male soldiers predominated and very close to Lark Hill where there were thousands more men?

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker
I got "Army" and "Auxiliary" the wrong way around.

Sepoy, thanks for that, and for the link to the very useful summary of women's organisations.

I suppose that it must have taken several months for  WAAC shoulder titles to be replaced by those of the QMAAC.

Moonraker

Rolfi

Great, thanks very much for that info, which has prompted me to look for further details. I now understand that women in the Corps were not allowed to hold commissions and did not have full military status. The women enrolled rather than enlisted and were punished for breaches of discipline by civil rather than military courts. They were divided into officials (officers), forewomen (sergeant), assistant forewomen (corporals) and workers (privates)

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker