Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW lookup please

Guest geoff501

Guest geoff501

Can someone please check a SDGW entry. I have the details but now not sure if the Btn. is 1st/17th or 2nd/17th:

E. Jackson 5876 17th Bn. London Regiment KIA 23/10/16.

Thanks!

regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

SDGW does not specify which battalion.

Rifleman Ernest Jackson

!7th (County of London) Battalion (Poplar & Stepney Rifles)

KIA France & Flanders

Born Wellingborough

Enlisted Wellingborough

Formerly RAMC 72957

Regards,

AGWR

According to the CWGC listing, he was 2/17th Bn.

Dave.

Guest geoff501
According to the CWGC listing, he was 2/17th Bn.

Thank you AGWR and thank you Dave. I guess it's the 2/17 and I look out for the 60th Division's history. The RAMC number was a bit of a puzzle, but I see from an earlier post on this forum that there were some transfers to TF Battalions in 1916.

Regards,

Geoff

Thank you AGWR and thank you Dave. I guess it's the 2/17 and I look out for the 60th Division's history. The RAMC number was a bit of a puzzle, but I see from an earlier post on this forum that there were some transfers to TF Battalions in 1916.

That must be this thread. Your man is certainly one of this batch of 3,000 which ended up scattered among the various battalions of 60 Div. His RAMC service number is consistent with the batch that i have been looking at who ended up in the 2/19th. This would suggest your man enlisted under the Derby Scheme.

I'm still waiting for an expert on RAMC numbering to turn up...

Charles

Guest geoff501
That must be this thread.  Your man is certainly one of this batch of 3,000 which ended up scattered among the various battalions of 60 Div.  His RAMC service number is consistent with the batch that i have been looking at who ended up in the 2/19th.  This would suggest your man enlisted under the Derby Scheme.

I'm still waiting for an expert on RAMC numbering to turn up...

Yes that's the link. Does the number (72957) give any clue to when he joined up?

regards,

Geoff

Yes that's the link. Does the number (72957) give any clue to when he joined up?

Yes. I have looked at the enlistment papers of 7 men from this batch who were all later commissioned into the 19th Londons. All 7 were Derby Scheme enlistments between late October and early December 1915. I mentioned a couple on the original thread.

Another one was L/Sgt Norman WILLIAMSON who had 19th London numbers of 6466 and 612705. He enlisted in the RAMC on 29/10/1915 with an RAMC number very close to your man's: 72924. He served with the 2/19th and was commissioned into the Reserve of Officers on 07/02/1919. (Sources: 19th London Medal Rolls and WO 339/59160)

It seems reasonable to believe that your man enlisted in late October 1915

Charles