Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Georges Guynemer

stephen p nunn

30 minutes ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

Thanks- as I presumed BUT it never causes any harm to prod and have a look afresh-  I know some German naval stuff had survived that was presumed destroyed-but there again, Potsdam is not noted as a naval base...which might explain it!  

[ But if  Herr Mayer had changed his name to Meyer from something else, then what did the Meyer family change their name to....?    Just a thought. Have  a good day]

A bit off topic, but I often talk to researchers and (amateur) historians and encourage them to delve into the German archives as there is definitely treasure to be found there still, but most of them don't want to do the trouble (it costs a bit of money and time to travel to Germany and do your research, you have to have a thorough knowledge of the German Army and its organization, you have to be able to read kurrent etc). So, they prefer to ruminate and repeat what has been written before (whether it is correct or not).

Fantastic research on this thread - thank you everyone.

Stephen (Maldon).

Has anyone got a photo of the "unknown airman RAF" at 40.B.18 in Poelkapelle II please?

Thank you.

Stephen (Maldon).