Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FOUND Missing War Diary Pages

RobertBr

The 280 Bde RFA and 281 Bde RFA War Diaries in the NA are both missing entries for July, August, September 1917. Times described in part by the 56th Div CRA, Brigadier Elkingtons as the worst of the war for the artillery.

I had manged to put together a Pseudo Timeline for this period an published it in my 281 Brigade post.

I recently looked used The Ogilby Muster to access the RA Museums archive. After a torrid time with the search facility I have managed to locate the missing pages of both War Diaries.

I have notified the NAtional Archives, not expecting them to update their documents but hopefully adding some form of link/cross-reference to the RA Museum information.

At first sight my Pseudo Timeline is almost correct. I do plan to update it.

I wonder what other gems are hidden away.

Bob

That period late summer 1917 affected a lot of Artillery War Diaries and often AMOT can fill the gap. This was discussed not so long ago ...

Generally AMOT and RA Museum have made available a wonderful amount of records. Hours of fun!!

On 12/10/2022 at 22:45, charlie962 said:

You (and I) both posted on this old thread

I had forgotten that.

I just checked one WD from the list 33 Bde  pages for July 1917 are in the RA Museum (AMOT039_WW1_33RD.BRIGADE.RFA_0106). There could be a lot more.

Bob

I have added a link to this topic in the eralier one Missing Diaries. I recommend that topic for any further information about finds.

This topic being solely for the process to access the records

Edited by RobertBr
wrong month, should have added this to a previous topic