Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cost of petrol here

museumtom

Hi Guys!!

Just in case anyone has not noticed, since our change over to the euro 3 years ago here in Ireland EVERYTHING has shot through the roof. We also have at least 10 time more Illegal immigrants lookin for asylum. House prices are really crazy!!.However I just want to compare petrol prices.

The cheapest petrol and diesel (they are the same price at this garage in Thurles, Tipperary Ireland) is 95cent per litre which is 65 and a half British pence or $1.22 USD, and that is the cheapest!!! in this county.

How much is it wher you live?

Regards.

Tom.

65p/litre ! In UK, I'd be delirious if it was 75p. However, I take your point and I'm sure that the introduction of the euro has seen people taking advantage.

I think the trend throughout Europe is that cheap manufactured goods serve to bring down inflation (thank you China) and then all the other monopoly costs i.e tax, rail fares , council tax, fuel, electricity, gas etc will go up dramatically in compensation - inflation appears to remain stable - but how many DVD players do you need !

I remember having a discussion with a Mr Paul Reed, who was at the shop at Delville Wood on the Somme, about a year ago during one of my many visits to that area.

I was keen to see how he felt about entry French to the Euro, and his view was that most French people thought that entry to the Euro had been bad for consumers as prices had risen as a result.

Certainly, in my experience prices for Petrol in France are not as good as they were 3 or 4 years ago, but diesel is still a good buy at just under the 1 Euro (70p) level at most Supermarkets.

Tom

This is odd. I was in Thurles myself last week. Lousy weather. I disagree about the crazy petrol prices because in my area of the UK I'm lucky to get diesel at £0.90 per litre.

In Dublin I saw petrol at 1.07 Euros.

Garth

Its $2.10 per gallon here or about 70 US cents per litre. When I visited the Western Front in 2001 I got more than a few glaring eyes when I mentioned gas at the time was 68 US cents per gallon or about 25 US cents per litre.

Andy

Here in Florida the price of gas/petrol is at an all time high.

$2.36 per US gallon for high octane which is exactly 62cents per litre or 33pence.

There is all kinds of grief exhibited about that as it was usually about $1.60 and about $1.00 for regular octane before the recent run up of crude oil prices by OPEC.

We have to find an ALTERNATIVE before the Middle East countries own the whole world.

Regds Bill

Here in Florida the price of gas/petrol is at an all time high.

$2.36 per US gallon for high octane which is exactly 62cents per litre or 33pence.

There is all kinds of grief exhibited about that as it was usually about $1.60 and about $1.00 for regular octane before the recent run up of crude oil prices by OPEC.

We have to find an ALTERNATIVE before the Middle East countries own the whole world.

Regds Bill

Ditching gas guzzling cars might be a start.

Andy

Fuel Prices in the UK are made up of Fuel Tax & Vat which accounts for a good 80% of the Pump Price,the actual Price of the Fuel is Negligible.If Water was used as Fuel that would carry Tax Too! :angry:

You should all try living in Scotland.

We produce the stuff, the U.K treasury steals it and the common man ends up paying over the odds for it. :angry:

We produce the stuff, the U.K treasury steals it and the common man ends up paying over the odds for it.  :angry:

The same applies to your best product:~Pure Single Malt :(

PS You are welcome to have every Scottish Politician that has exported Him/Her Self South of the Border,back!!!

We produce the stuff, the U.K treasury steals it and the common man ends up paying over the odds for it.  :angry:

Er excuse me Derek, didnt the British taxpayer pay for the exploration, development, and distribution of the stuff in the 60's and early 70's??? wasnt that the deal agreed at the time?? at a time when you couldnt give the stuff away and the North sea was thought to inhospitable to go and get it??? Revolutionary at the time if i remember.

Besides who would the Shetlanders vote to be with in a referendum Scotland--England, or maybe Norway as most of them decsend from there anyway and they are closer to Norway than Scotland :)

Being as somebody else mentioned it, a question----is it illegal to have your own " Still " as long as you consume the product yourself?????????? just as wine and Beer

Er excuse me Derek, didnt the British taxpayer pay for the exploration, development, and distribution of the stuff in the 60's and early 70's??? wasnt that the deal agreed at the time??

Nigel,

As I was barely an infant in the 1960's I can't for the life of me remember.

And if I was a Shetlander I'd want to get as far away from england as possible :lol:

Nigel,

As I was barely an infant in the 1960's I can't for the life of me remember.

And if I was a Shetlander I'd want to get as far away from england as possible  :lol:

They have, they are almost in Norway now :D

I think you meant if you were a Shetland PONY you would want to stay as far from England as possible! :lol: Where men are men and ponies are scared! :o

I think you meant if you were a Shetland PONY you would want to stay as far from England as possible! :lol: Where men are men and ponies are scared! :o

No Paul you have got mixed up, it is the Welsh who engage in the practices you are referring too.

Tom

We have 4 Garages here in Ardee, I don't know abour petrol but Diesel is 99c in all of them what gets me is that they seem to have a cartel on the go. The price will stay like this for a while and then as soon as one changes the price (usually the Shell garage) within 24 hours they will all display the same price.

I drive to work in Leixlip and as I get nearer the price progressively decreases, in Ratoath/Fairyhouse it goes to 95c and then Dunboyne/Lexilip it's about 91c. I don't go to Dublin very often but on recent visits it was about 89c.

I'd love to know how exactly the same product sold by the same retailer in the same country can vary by 10+c !!.

I always remeber when I was in the Irish Army and guys got a section 8 (went mad) they were sent to Ardee, Is it still the same there?

Regards.

Tom (sane I think)

Thats fine coming from a possum rustler "well ain't that perty"

Andy

No Paul you have got mixed up, it is the Welsh who engage in the practices you are referring too.

Says who? To my knowledge I am not the slightest bit Welsh (phew!), says the only boy who had a lifesize My Little Pony.

Ricardo The Deviant Equestrian :o

Apropos the euro, I was talking to someone a few days ago who was bemoanin ght fact that the provider of some service (I forget what) had been forced to change from charging a nice round 10 francs requiring just one coin to charging 1 euro 90 which requires at least 4 coins. He wanted to know who was the idiot who had persuaded him not to charge 2 euros; so much simpler. There was no other rationale than keeping down the rate of inflation.

You can't win!

I saw not long ago that the average petrol consumptionof cars in Europe is 6.5 litres per 100 km. In the USA it is 13 litres per km.

Oh, and if you draw a line in the North Sea following the UN International Agreement on Frontiers at Sea, you will find that whilst most North Sea oil is nearer to Scotland it is actually in English territorial waters.

I'm now paying 80.6 cents for a litre of diesel. Petrol is around 95 cents, I think (don't use it myself). I had to pay 1 euro 6 cents on the French motorways on Monday.

Shetland pony story

On a farm i rented a building off once about 15 years ago, the farmer had converted some of the buildings in horse stables and one girl had a young shetland pony there. Her brother was about 12 a cheeky little git who needed a good slap but his dad was a very big ex Northern Ireland veteran, so we had to put up with the little bast--d.

One day her came down to clean out and feed the pony. After a while we could hear him shouting and calling for help. So we rushed ( i dont think ) around the back to find him pinned up against a steel farm gate with the shetland pony standing on its back legs mounting him. Luckily for the cheeky git he had jeans on which we now quite wet.------image a group of men in histairics at this little cheeky gits plight and actually nobody helped him, the pony got down on his own when he had finished. The tearfull cheeky git never came down the farm for months after that and had suddenly learned to keep his mouth shut.

True story which still brings a smile