Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Ships Asturias, Galeka & Glenart Castle January 1915 to March 1917.

ZeZe

Hi

Timelines covering the period Gallipoli campaign to March 1917 for Asturias, Galeka & Glenart Castle. Below a few observations for each ship arising from the files.

H.M.H.S. “Asturias”

It appears the nurses were unpaid for two months following the torpedoing – Lilian Montague’s proud father took on the role of advocate for the surviving nurses with a flurry of letters to sort that out. Here’s an extract from another Mr W T Montague letter, an account of Asturias being mined off Salcombe (WO 399/5912):

To Miss Beecher, Matron in Chief, Q.A.I.M.N.S.

I hope you will pardon one for writing to you and also a fathers pride, but I have looked to see if any notice would be taken of the splendid conduct of the nurses who were on the torpedoed Hospital Ships. I have seen and talked with several of them who were on the good ship Asturias when the G’s tried to sink that vessel.

How when the ship was struck in the darkness of the night, at a moments notice, with no panic they were all ready, each one at their allotted boat; quietly waiting orders, how when they were lowered onto the water they sung and called to each other “are you all right”, how some of them helped row the boats to land, how when they found some of the crew who were injured, collapsing, they succoured them, parting with some of their clothes to men who were scantily clad…. These stories are only told round their own fireside but they should? one wills, admiration for these splendid women….

Within several files e.g. WO 399/2334 there is a list of nurses Ex Hospital Ship “Asturias”, who following the torpedoing were being posted to France. Matron Elizabeth Ann Dowse on the list, but after reading her file I think either clerical error had been made, mixing up the sinking of the Britannic with the Asturias, (as far as I can tell she was on sick leave during March 1917) or she may have been pencilled in for the role of Matron on Asturias, but circumstances prevented her from fulfilling the posting.image.jpeg.cf6b79c2412638aa551d97cb80393de3.jpeg

H.M.H.S. “Galeka”

Taken a punt on the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon four nurses. Florence Borrett is confirmed as on board Galeka. Park, Duckett & Evans are my best guess for the other three B.R.C. nurses as they all worked for the Trained Nurses’ Economic League & appeared in the same photo but I have no further evidence.

The photo & more info on Florence Borrett: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/50770-florence-adeline-borrett-brcsosjj-raf-matron-ncaa/

Names of other Dowager Countess of Carnarvon B.R.C. nurses whose records, if available, may hold clues.

MIC’s found for: 

Charlotte KEANE

Celia PEARSON

Margaret ROBERTS

Edith C SMART

Nellie TAYLOR-MORLEY (Mrs PEPPER)

Edith JOHN (Mrs EDWARDS)

Alice B LEWIS-EDWARDS

Mary I LITTLE

Grace J O MACLEAN

Elsie SHARPE (Mrs LAWLEY) [listed as E SHARP]

Gertrude CONOLLY

H BLAND [listed as K BLAND]

M COPINGER see HARVEY

K B JONES [listed as D JONES]

M MacCALL

Cannot find MIC’s for:

J BRYAN

M BUXTON

K COLDWELL

A HOLMES

(there is one other nurse in this party – her name unknown)

Photo HMHS Galeka half submerged: https://wellcomecollection.org/works/k87jpa7p/items?canvas=11

A void for nurses present on Galeka at the sinking in Oct 1916 – any names known?

image.jpeg.07119ce4600a556245a2b9e44f2e7f0c.jpeg

H.M.H.S. “Glenart Castle”

When reading the War Diary (WO-95-4145-2) for Glenart Castle all appears ship shape. 

I.M.S. Lieutenant Colonel, A. William Dawson, was given the role of O/C on 26th October 1914 as his ‘establishment’ hadn’t yet arrived from India and Matron Frances Reddock was posted to the ship on the 23rd August 1915. The Glenart Castle sailed from Southampton to Alexandria and arrived at Sulva Bay on the 13th September.

Matron Frances Reddock’s file WO 399/6903 contains a hand written four page report to Miss Becher (Matron-inChief Q.A.I.M.N.S.) written by Beatrice I Jones? (I cannot decipher all the text of the report – perhaps someone can).

At some point the relationship between Dawson and Reddock broke down. The nurses became divided with four ‘under her wing’ the rest with Dawson, and ‘there has been nothing but friction and trouble’. The two sides hardly spoke to each other. The next problem came at Bombay where the nursing staff disembarked Glenart Castle. They had no posting until the conversion of HMHS Varsova was completed, which left the nurses sitting in the bar of the Taj Mahal Hotel, drinking and smoking. Apparently Matron Reddock ignored the nurses and did nothing to enforce any discipline. Matron Reddock was blamed for all the problems and her engagement was terminated from 28th September 1916. She died on 17 June 1919 (being no longer in service, the cause is unknown).

I hadn’t expected issues like this on a hospital ship. On Matron Reddock's application form her last role was nursing sister with Q.A.I.M.N.S. in India from 1905 to 1913. Had there been any previous ‘history’ between her and I.M.S. Lieutenant Colonel, A. William Dawson?

I first came across the Matron of Glenart Castle mentioned in South Coast Times & Wollongong Argus,14 January 1916 as 'Ruddock'. An excerpt of a letter written by her on 28 November 1915 in which she is relating to the mother of Pte. Frederick Warren Muir that the medical staff did all they could for her injured son. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/141649454?searchTerm=matron ruddock

Nurse Alice Flintoff WO 399/6903 is mentioned quite often in the report, she had been posted to 3rd London G.H., caught influenza and died on 9th November 1918. She also suffered from a condition attributed to infection caught on active service in India & Mespot.(commemorated by CWGC)

image.jpeg.806141ca960090d06d4d9268465567c9.jpeg

Any additions / corrections wellcome – unfortunately the web BRC/VAD database has been ‘down for maintenance’ for quite a while so I haven’t been able to check details for the voluntary nurses.

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe

ZeZe,

Very interesting. You have uncovered a lot of information. I have some details for you;-

ASTURIAS

VAD Nursing Member Neva FAGAN – Red Cross card {transcript on Findmypast has the following;- 

Aug. 2nd. 1916 Sep 1916 - Hospital Ship 'Asturias' Sep. 1916 Jan. 26th. 1917 Sick Leave Jan.26th 1917 Dec. 30th. 1918 Beauford Mil. HP. Bristol Jan.2nd. 1919. Feb: 3rd. 1919 4th. London Gen. Mil. HP.

ASTURIAS

Nurse Gertrude LONG – Red Cross card {transcript on Findmypast has the following;- 

Still Serving in Detach: This member was specially commended by Joint V.A.D. Committee as when coming home on leave the first time was torpoedoed onboard Asturias - & 6 weeks later after a rest went out again on Foreign Service - (CB Lancaster late Cdt) Surrey

ASTURIAS

VAD Nurse Lucy TUCKER – Red Cross card {transcript on Findmypast has the following;- 

Mobilised Jan 30 1915 Auxiliary Hospital Sturminster Newton to May. 4. 1915 Overseas Service H.M.S. Hospital Ship "Asturias" and St Andrews Military Hospital -Malta. 1915-1916 (Paid V.A.D. pay) Home Service Connaught Hospital Aldershot Sept 1916 to 1917 (Paid V.A.D. pay) Fulham War Hospital 1917 - Left owing to illness (Paid V.A.D. pay) Bath War Hospital 1918. (Voluntary) {Above Date of Engagement} Mobilized

GALEKA

QAIMNS Sister Charlotte Sophia ROUGHTON -  embarked for duty 12/09/15

QAIMNS Sister Lillie Elizabeth SHEPPARD – embarked for duty 13/09/15

QAIMNS Sister Minnie Edith FAGG {who you have}– embarked for duty 13/09/15

QAIMNS Sister Mary Emily WATTS – embarked for duty 13/09/15

All recorded in 1914-15 Star roll.

Regards,

Alf McM

ZeZe,

With regards to the letter written to the parents of Private Frederick Warren Muir, there is a similar letter mentioned in an article in the Burnley Times of 27th November 1915. This was to the parents of 2865 Corporal Walter Pedley, The letter was signed 'Mrs H.L. Reddoch, matron'. Walter's parents also received a letter from the chaplain of Glenart Castle, Gilbert D. BARKER.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf McM,

Thanks for the info on additional Galeka nurses.

I find it quite significant to the personality of Matron REDDOCK that another letter of condolence of her's was published. For every letter published in a newspaper many others, no doubt treasured by the parents, were kept private and have since been lost to time. She must have been more caring than the official file suggests. I’ve seen a few newspaper letters written by the onboard chaplain but cannot recall any others by a Matron.

Married name probably ends in H – it seems interchangable in the file (but the file is named REDDOCK), husband was Captain J.S. REDDOCH commanding H.M.T. Erinpura c/o address Bombay (looks more like a H than a K, as does the signature on the application form)

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe

ZeZe,

I have managed to transcribe most of the 4 page letter you mentioned in a previous post. It makes for interesting reading, although Miss Jones' writig and grammar are not the best I have seen.

BASRA

Dear Miss Becher,

At last I have seen Mrs Reddoch but I have got little or no satisfaction from her, as her statements are so very different from what I have already heard, but I consider that she is entirely to blame.

The trouble has all arisen from her mis-understanding the position of a matron in our Service. She was appointed to the Glenart Castle not knowing, or asking for any of our rules & regulations & instead of working well with her O.C. & consulting him in all matters relating to the working of the Hospital Ship, she tried to assert her authority over questions which which {sic} did not concern her duties. Naturally this put up the back of all the M.O.’s on board & the nurse {sic} [perhaps she meant to say ‘nursing staff’] became divided against itself. She with four nurses under her wing & Col. Dawson with the other four & from that day to this there has been nothing but friction and trouble.

In February the Glenart Castle was dismantled & the nursing Staff were put in the Taj Mahal Hotel Bombay to wait until the “Varsova” was being converted into a Hospital Ship.

During the whole time she was there she absolutely ignored the four nurses she reports upon. Instead of arranging for a table for herself & her whole staff she allowed them to sit by themselves & she hardly ever spoke to them. They were allowed to lunch and order drinks in the lounge & public sitting rooms of the hotel & to go about anytime of the day with men they picked up in the hotel.

I heard that a Court of Enquiry which lasted for three whole days had taken place The reason of the inquiry or its results I could not find out. As I was told that it was confidential & that Mrs Reddoch was the only one who could tell me the reasons, or show me the proceedings. When I asked her about the it all that she knows was that a notice was sent to her to attend the A.D.M.S.’s office at a certain date & hour, but no reasons were given. The questions asked all related to matters which had arisen from the time of her appointment on the Glenart Castle. She never heard the result of the enquiry. In the meanwhile she applied to Simla for herself & four nurses to be transferred to Mesopotamia. Consent was given & they were sent direct to Amara at the beginning of May. [They arrived 15th May – WO95/5017/1]. The four undesirable & giddy[?] nurses were left at the Taj Hotel Bombay without anyone to supervise or look after them.

When the “Varsova” was completed Miss Flintoff, with the other three nurses & two Eurasians were appointed as the nursing staff Miss Flintoff took charge. I had the opportunity when I was in Bombay of going over the Varsova & seeing both Miss Flintoff & Col. Dawson. He told me he was very satisfied with his nursing staff & asked me not to move them. But I told him they would have to be moved as they had completed their six months Hospital Ship duty, and I would wait until I got properly settled & was able to pick out a good staff for him. I had not then received your letter nor did know that Miss Flintoff was one of Mrs Reddoch’s staff.

Since Mrs Reddoch has been at Amara she has been Home Sister at No 2 British Gen. Hospital. {late Rawal Pindi from France} She is good friends with Miss Watt the Lady Supt.

I believe that she has done very good work there, but unfortunately when Miss Murphy Act. Matron, Q.A.I.M.N. S. with 30 nurses of No 32 General Hospital arrived on the scene there has been just nothing but friction & quarrels & discontent all round.

So far as I can see there will never be any peace as long as Mrs Reddoch is in the Service & I would suggest that when her years contract expires which does on the 23rd of August it is not renewed & that she may be recalled to England by wire at an early date.

I wanted to bring her down here as soon as possible so that she will be strictly under my supervision, & to prevent any more friction at Amara.

Miss Waterhouse refused to take her back on the Reserve of the Indian Service on account of the friction she always causes whatever station she was sent to.

She denies leaving the nurses & going off with her husband, but she told me that she and her favourite went for a short tour up country. The “Varsova” arrives here about October 20th. I will deal with Miss Huulyt[?] then. I am afraid this is a very lengthy letter, but I could not put the whole case with fewer words.

With kind regards,

Sincerely yours,

Beatrice I. Jones [Beatrice Isabel Jones, Acting Principal Matron]

NOTE ; The following nursing staff arrived at Amara on 15/5/16;-

Sister M. MITCHELL – TFNS – 23 Stationary Hospital

Sister M. ROGERS – TFNS – 23 Stationary Hospital

Staff Nurse E. HUXLEY – QAIMNSR – 23 Stationary Hospital

Matron Mrs REDDOCH – QAIMNSR – 2BGHB [2 British General Hospital Section ‘B’]

Sister A. EVANS-HARRIS – QAIMNSR – 2BGHB

Staff Nurse E.A. SMITH – QAIMNSR – D2BGH [Section ‘D’ British General Hospital]

Staff Nurse D. THOMAS – QAIMNSR – D2BGH

Staff Nurse C.M. BOTTOMLEY – QAIMNSR – D2BGH

Sister Annie Evans HARRIS – QAIMNSR – Worked as Senior Sister on Glenart Castle from August 1915, then worked at Amara from May to August 1916. Her service record includes a 2 page glowing report on her abilities from her matron, Mrs H.L. Riddoch. It may be that she is the ‘favourite’ taken on tour with Matron Riddoch. 1914-15 Star roll mentions Glenart Castle. WO/399/3571

Staff Nurse Edith Allen SMITH – QAIMNSR – Service record she worked at Rawalpindi {2 British General} Hospital for 8 months from 15th May 1916. WO/399/7676

Staff Nurse Daisy THOMAS – QAIMNSR – No mention of Glenart Castle in records, but is only D. Thomas in QAIMNSR. Served from 27/7/15. WO/399/8258

Staff Nurse Charlotte Maud BOTTOMLEY – QAIMNSR – service record states she was posted to Glenart Castle, 22/12/15. {Was originally to be posted the Galeka, but this was scored out on her record}. WO/399/779

It would seem from the above that although Miss Jones only referred to 4 nurses, Mrs Riddoch was still responsible for her original 8 nurses. It would seem that the Taj Mahal nurses were those who had sided with Colonel Dawson. The other 4 are not mentioned in the letter, so presumably were looked after. The 4 nurses with Mrs Riddoch at Amara must be those who were under her control on Glenart Castle. She even took one of them on a tour up country.

I agree with you that the matron’s surname should be REDDOCH, but it is understandable how mistakes have been made in the records. It is very easy to confuse ‘H’ with ‘K’, depending on the handwriting, and the same goes for ‘I’ and ‘E’.   

According to the extract from her Probate of Will {1920} her surname was REDDOCH. Incidentally, she left an estate worth £15,940.5s.5d., so certainly didn’t have to work as a nurse.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Hi Alf McM,

You have done a good job in transcribing the long letter.

I thought the name in the last paragraph: ‘I will deal with Miss ??’ is a scrawled ‘Flintoff’, therefore I was expecting some referral to the trouble on Glenart Castle & hotel bar in her files (WO 399/11275 & WO 399/2791). There’s no mention of any reprimand and no record of postings in 1915 apart from three lines on a cover sheet, each line in a different handwriting:

Posted to Egypt 29.4.15’

H.S. Glenart Castle to India’ 

The staff of the ship were disbanded in India’

I'm not sure if Alice Flintoff was posted to the staff of Glenart Castle in 1915 or a nurse in transit from a hospital in Alexandria to Bombay. Have you found any clues which can resolve this?

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe

Hello ZeZe,

I am sure you are right about Miss ??? being Alice Flintoff. I notice that there are 2 service records for Alice Flintoff. That is a bit unusual. I believe Alice was on the staff of Glenart Castle. Nurses in transit would be travelling to a specific appointment, i.e. Hospital or Hospital Ship. Once the Glenart Castle berthed in Bombay she would have been found another ship to complete her journey. Also, her record says the staff of the ship were disbanded in India', implying that she was one of the staff. I can't seem to find Alice on any medal rolls, and there are no medals mentioned on her T.N.A. record card. It does mention Egypt 1915, so she should have been awarded the 1914-15 Star plus British Victory and War Medals. Her name has probably been mis-transcribed.

Regards,

Alf McM

I have picked up a reference to Alice Flintoff here: not sure if it will survive being posted from this phone, but image 28 is the one you want (apologies for the complicated link).

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-11193981/view?sectionId=nla.obj-65391689&searchTerm="Alice+Flintoff"&partId=nla.obj-11205875#page/n26/mode/1up

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Nellie Carter’s scrapbook – H.M.H.S. Asturias.

https://www.rcn.org.uk/servicescrapbooks/Nellie-Carter/Scrapbook#page/23/mode/1up

The link doesn’t quite open the correct page, scroll down slightly to page 22 (with the two postage stamps). The page has been signed by various VAD’s whilst on board “Asturias”. They appear to have put on an entertainment show to keep themselves amused on the transit voyage from England to Malta (I presume), hence the references to theatre, instruments – singer, piano etc. The number of two hundred VAD’s disembarking from one voyage on 9th September 1915 surprised me. In most cases their MIC’s give no clues as to where they had served.

I’m struggling with at least two names on page 10 – I’ve have Nancy Blankley, “Asturias” & Edith Bell, “Delta”, but cannot make out Bridget ??nessy & Ethel ??ules, both “Asturias”. I also wonder who left Colchester for “Asturias” on 18th June 1915. Is anyone able to decipher these names? thanks. Left hand side, couldn’t find a medal MIC or nurses file for Ethel Julia Marion Keene (she is MID & in the BJN). I’m yet to download Marion McCormick’s file. 

Regards ZeZe

ZeZE,

Bridget is most likely Bridget TRENERRY, a Stewardess on the Asturias. She died as the result of the torpedo attack, at the age of 65!  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2969343/bridget-trenerry/

Ethel Julia Marian KEENE's medal card is here. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6087517

No sign of her service record.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi

Thanks Alf McM, what I thought were s’s are r’s. That makes it even more poignant to see Bridget Trenerry’s signature on the page.

Additions for H.M.HS. Asturias timeline:

Hilda Minnie VINE from 25/09/1914 to 02/09/15.

Lavinia Grace ELSDON (Mrs HARRISON) 01/08/1915 to 13/05/1916.

VAD Nurse Lucy TUCKER unknown period of service – transit?

Marion McCORMICK 21/09/1914 to 14/05/1916 – WO 399/5125 p196 to p199, might interest a researcher: a series of notes regarding if there was a need to have a matron on hospital ships as they were not present on ambulance trains. (that’s my understanding of the handwriting)

I noticed in Hilda Vine’s nurse record, WO 399/8574, that she states she was on board when H.M.H.S Asturias was attacked. This is the accompanying note:

According to the official History of the Merchant Navy, Vol 1 page 377, the H S “Asturias” was attacked by enemy submarine on 1.2.1915, 15 miles N.N.E. of Havre but “happily the torpedo missed”.

Regards ZeZe

ZeZe,

Perhaps some of the names we are stuck on are Stewardesses?

Lucy Sylvester TUCKER was on Malta from 02/09/15 until 10/04/16, according to BW&VM roll.

I can't find the page on your link which mentions 200 VAD'S disembarking on 9th September 1915.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf McM,

The '200 VAD's' is written over the two postage stamps on the VAD page 22. Nellie Carter's book is interesting - I expect you've noticed a few RAMC names as well - medical officers on board perhaps? I hadn't thought of Stewardesses. It appears several Colchester nurses transfered to Asturias, I haven't yet checked if Margaret A Mackintosh on p.10 was also in the group.

regards ZeZe

ZeZe,

Shown below are excerpts from the war diaries of Maud McCarthy, Matron-in-Chief, B.E.F. The diaries were transcribed a few years ago by the late Sue Light and can be downloaded here;-  http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/110.html

I have copied all these diaries into a large word document. There are over 600,000 words in over 1,000 pages. They are a great source of information, giving names of hundreds of nurses.

These are all the relevant comments for ‘Asturias’ and include a number of ‘new’ names. I have highlighted the names.

Abbeville
Visited Asturias. Saw Col. Hardy and Miss Stevens – have promised to supply 2 more QAIMNS next voyage.

Abbeville

.Also a letter from Col. Burtchaell instructing me to take N. Palin of Asturias to find out where she would like to serve in France and to inform Sir Arthur Sloggett as soon as it had been done

Abbeville
Letter from Matron-in-Chief War Office saying Miss Stevens, Matron i/charge of S.S. Asturias was looking very seedy and overworked and suggested that she should be relieved for a time, but not yet. 

Learnt that Hospital Ships Asturias, Carisbrooke Castle and Oxfordshire now on the BEF route.

03.04.16. Letter from M-in-C asking me to replace Miss Gibb the Acting Matron of the Asturias by a good Q Sister.

Nurse Grey from leave ordered to Havre to join Asturias.

Letter from Miss Keene, new A/Matron Asturias, saying she is not a good sailor, but she will write again later and say how she is getting on.

Abbeville
8 Nurses joined Asturias for duty, and on relief 8 joined for duty in France – orders were awaiting them at 2 General Hospital.

13/05/16

Asturias at Havre – 8 more of the Staff exchanged. Miss Rentzsch [Ethel Rentzsch] joined, and Miss McCormick Q ordered to Abbeville.

Letter received from Miss Keene, Matron, Asturias, to say Nurse Francis TFNS causing trouble, OC wishing her to be moved. This is the Nurse who was so troublesome at 25 General Hospital, and who I interviewed. Very undisciplined, inclined to think all hands against her.

The Brighton Everything going smoothly, but the Ship didn’t look in such first rate order. Miss Harrison the A/Matron had been on the Ship 7 months, and on the Asturias before it, and I feel when I can, I will make a change there.

Abbeville
Sent orders for Miss A. Gray to join for duty at 2 General Hospital from Hospital Ship Asturias.

Abbeville
Letter from DGMS, asking about Staff Nurse Gray recently taken off Hospital Ship Asturias, saying that Prince Arthur of Connaught was asking why she had not been made a Sister, and that replied that she was wishing to resign unless she could have 6 months’ leave, but that I was writing to her asking her to reconsider her decision, and pointing out that she could take on for 6 months; that 6 months’ leave could not be granted, but that if she was not well, leave could be granted on medical grounds.

A letter from ADMS, Havre, to say 3 nurses short on Hospital Ship “Asturias” – 2 sick in England, but the Matron said that for the present she could manage.

Went on board the “Asturias” which was waiting and not loading until the “Maheno” had sailed. Saw the OC, Capt. Gibbs, who said that the nursing arrangements were satisfactory, but that the Matron, Miss Keene, was not so clever a manager as the former Matron, Miss Gibb. He did not express any disappointment at the thought of her being moved at the end of 6 months’ service.

DDMS, Havre telephoned to say Miss Rentzsch, Assistant Matron on “Asturias”, was suffering from influenza and admitted to 2 General Hospital. The Matron could manage without a substitute.

Rouen – Havre
Left at 8 a.m. for Havre – reported at DDMS office, where I rang up Headquarters and I learnt that the Matron-in-Chief, War Office, had telegraphed asking that the new Matron for the Hospital Ship “Asturias” should join forthwith as she was not making another journey to France, but was going East taking a large number of trained nurses and VADs for Malta. Said she had given instructions that the present Matron, Miss Keene and two Staff Nurses, Francis and Maggitt, [Probably Rose or Ruth Meggitt] should remain on shore and asked for reports on their work. As the Asturias had left, I asked that Miss Cowie, who was waiting at Headquarters, should go at once to Boulogne, and proceed to Southampton with as little delay as possible and that the War Office should be informed of what arrangements had been made.

Abbeville
Termination of Engagement: War Office letter received terminating the engagement of Staff Nurse N. M.Balmer, [Nina May Palmer] QAIMNSR on medical grounds. Sent for confidential report from Miss Keene, A/Matron, QAIMNS, 7 General Hospital, under who she served on Hospital Ship “Asturias”.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
Minor additions

ZeZe,

A search in Maud McCarthy's diary for 'Meggitt' showed the following;-

Marriage: Received War Office letter approving the marriage and retention in the Service of A/Sister R. Meggitt, QAIMNSR. This lady is to return to England as her husband is serving in France; the report on state of health forwarded with the correspondence does not appear to make her suitable for retention in the BEF.

Rose Amelia Annie Meggitt married Maurice RANNSON in Southampton on 18/11/18. Her service records are under her married name {WO/399/6872}. They show that she served on Asturias from 13/05/16 to 03/12/16.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf McM,

I occasionally check a specific date in the diary to see if anything relevant crops up but hadn’t thought of copying it all to enable a search of the whole document. That must have been a few hours work.

Working on a Salta timeline & have the following - 

Ina Doris HUMFREY

Catherine Norah O’CONNOR

Elsie Winifred RAIKES

Alice Maud BIRKS

Alice Annie JOLL

Olive PEARSON

Jane BULLMAN

Evelyn M FINN nee´ AUBREY

Mary Emma WORTHY

Edith Jane AUSTEN / AUSTIN

Bessie KEYTE

Fanny ABBOTT

Louisa Maria BIRD

Eveline Maud DAWSON

Gertrude Eileen JONES

Isabella CRUICKSHANK

Ellen Lucy FOYSTER

Jane ROBERTS

Clara McAL(L)ISTER

Agnes Greig MANN

Fanny MASON

Elizabeth Sheperd GURNEY

Barbara Jane BURNETT

Elizabeth Agnes Galbraith YOUNG

Lucy Amela NICHOLLS

Are there any more names in the diary?

Thanks ZeZe

ZeZe,

Not many new names, but some of the comments are interesting.

11.04.16. This Hospital [Lahore British General Hospital] since it was opened had been managed most excellently by Miss Knapp, QAIMNS for India. She with the 3 remaining Sisters were recalled suddenly for service at Mesopotamia, and left last week in Hospital Ship Salta.

Received letter from A/Matron of the Salta telling me of narrow escape of a serious accident having happened to the ship off the Isle of Wight – it ran ashore but only slight damage was done, but the 1st Officer shot himself. No panic and no harm done to anyone.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: DDMS Havre telephoned that the Hospital Ship “Salta” had been sunk and only 3 of the nursing staff saved – Sisters G. Young, B. J. Burnett and L. D. Nicholl.

Hospital Ship “Salta” Miss Blakeley wrote that the nurses saved from Hospital Ship “Salta” were in a very excited condition and not able to give any account of things. They thought there were 12 Sisters on board – apparently no Medical Officers or Ship’s officers had been saved.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: During my absence, a copy of War Office telegram was received from DGMS stating that no particulars had been sent of the survivors of the Hospital Ship “Salta”, and asking that these should be sent direct to each relative.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: Telephoned to DDMS Havre that the Sisters from the “Salta” should not be evacuated to England from Havre. Instructions would be sent later.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: DGMS forwarded copy of War Office wire saying that the survivors of Hospital Ship “Salta” nursing staff should be sent to the Sick Sisters’ Hospital, Vincent Square. Forwarded instructions to DDMS Havre, Sisters to be evacuated via Boulogne.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: Received telegram from DDMS Boulogne saying that the 3 Sisters – Misses Young, Burnett and Nichol, survivors of Hospital Ship “Salta” had been evacuated to England.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: Received telephone message from DDMS Havre, saying that the body of a Nursing Sister had been washed up and it was thought to be that of Miss A. G. Mann of the Hospital Ship “Salta” – he asked if any particulars could be supplied about her. Replied that there was no nominal roll of the staff of Hospital Ship “Salta” in this office and that [no] particulars of the nursing staff were available. Suggested that application should be made to DDMS Southampton. The funeral had been arranged to take place on the 7th.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: Memo received from DDMS Havre re the recovery from the sea on June 5th of the body of Staff Nurse A. G. Mann of Hospital Ship “Salta”. The War Office had been informed by wire, and arrangements for the funeral had been made by OC 2 General Hospital.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: Received letter from Miss Wellman, Matron, 2 General Hospital, saying that the body of a Nursing Sister had been washed up, but could not be identified.

Hospital Ship “Salta”: Miss Hartigan, A/Principal Matron, Etaples, reported that the body of a Nursing Sister ANSR had been washed up at Merlimont Plage. The number on badge was 844 – name E. M. Dawson. The funeral had been arranged for the 29th – 9.30 a.m. Miss Hartigan reported that she was sending flowers for the Matron-in-Chief and Nursing Staff, and would write an account of the funeral to forward to the War Office.

HS Salta: Received copy of War Office letter regarding the body of a Nursing Sister of HS Salta reported by OC, Graves Registration Office, to be buried in Ste. Marie Cemetery, Havre, date of death 10.4.17. Forwarded to DDMS Havre for investigation and report.

Regards,

Alf McM

Ze Ze,

CWGC has the following Salta nurses buried in Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre;-

Nursing Sister Isabella CRUICKSHANK, Q.A.I.M.N.S.

Nursing Sister Ellen Lucy FOYSTER, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

Staff Nurse Elizabeth Shepherd GURNEY, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. [recorded as E.S. Gurney]

Nursing Sister Gertrude Eileen JONES, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

Staff Nurse Clara MCALISTER, Q.A.I.M.N.S.

Staff Nurse Fanny MASON, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

Staff Nurse Agnes Greig MANN, Q.A.I.M.N.S.

Staff Nurse Phyllis Ada PEARSE, Q.A.I.M.N.S.

Staff Nurse Jane ROBERTS, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

Matron Eveline Maud DAWSON, Q.A.I.M.N.S. is buried in Etaples Military Cemetery.

Only Miss Pearse is not on your list.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf McM,

Thanks for looking up the Salta info:

The entry '1st Officer shot himself. No panic and no harm done to anyone.' makes me smile. Hopefully 1st Officer survived. That entry does explain a question I had as to why Salta was not at sea for several months.

I've read Miss Pearse's file WO 399/6558 - very sad. The Court of Inquiry found she commited suicide 29th April 1915 (not a Salta nurse).

regards ZeZe

ZeZe,

Thanks for putting me right about Miss Pearse, very sad. 

This article appeared in the Scotsman on 12th January 1918, and was repeated in other papers.

I wonder who the nurse was?

image.png.90101562f1c3efbae39d635ac9030208.png

Regards,

Alf McM

• 4 weeks later...

ZeZe,

In your timeline for Galeka you didn't know how long Florence Adeline BORRETT was on the ship. The British War & Victory Medal roll confirms it was from 12/06/15 until 09/15. The other 3 Red Cross nurses mentioned appear to have stayed in Egypt.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

Thanks for the info on BORRETT. Have you been able to check for the other three B.R.C. nurses on the list of Dowager Countess of Carnarvon ladies?

Additions to Galeka timeline - Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Sister, Kathleen KIELY, WO 399/458 served from May 1916 to 28/10/16 . She is the first nurse I’ve found on board when Galeka struck the mine. There is a letter in the file in which she helpfully lists her service history.

Other Galeka Nurses:

Q.A.I.M.N.S. Sister, Charlotte Sophia ROUGHTON , WO 399/7233: 12/09/15 - 16/05/16

Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Sister, Lillie Elizabeth SHEPPARD, WO 399/7529: 15/09/15 – 16?/05/16

Q.A.I.M.N.S. Sister, Mary Emily WATTS, WO 399/8790: 13/09/15 – ‘Served for 9 months’

Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Staff Nurse, Mary FERGUSON-SMITH, WO 399/7741: Unknown period

Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Sister, Agnes MILLAR, nee´ BEATTIE, WO 399/5816: Unknown to 16/05/16

Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Staff Nurse, Florence BIRCH (Mrs O’CONNELL), WO 399/638: short period from May 1916

Updated Asturias timeline - not identified, nurses GREY/GRAY & FRANCIS. Not updated correctly - A/Matron Ethel Julia Marion Keene is identified but her nurse record file doesn't appear to have survived.image.jpeg.bbb0b2e4b67c890deb5eb239189b2e0c.jpeg

One “Asturias” survivor who had an eventful war was Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Staff Nurse Ida Blanche LEEDAM. I’m glad I’ve tracked down her interesting service history, she is listed as ‘LEEDHAM’ in a letter and her TNA file is under ‘LEEHAM’ (no MIC?)

Ida completed her application form on 24th August 1914 giving her DoB as 5th October 1883. (she appears to have taken six years off her age – Freebmd result for birth registration is 4th qtr 1877).

Straight away Ida asked to serve abroad, and again in November 1914 she writes from the Military Hospital, Sheerness saying she was ‘very happy there’  but would prefer to be serving at the Front.

Her first posting abroad was on 12th May 1915 to No1 General Hospital, Etretat where she served for a year until transferring to H.M.H.S. Asturias in May 1916. Ida suffered a bout of ptomaine poisoning (food poisoning) in September but had recovered by 15th November to be posted back on board Asturias and survived the torpedoing of the ship on the 21st March 1917.

Ida was granted four weeks leave after the tragedy, but by 20th April Ida was keen to get back into the action, she writes ‘I am in perfect health, and have all my things (holdall, kit-bag & trunk) from the H.M.H.S. Asturias. I am quite ready for “Sea-duty” again if required. But if at anytime there should be a vacancy on a train, I would esteem it a great honour if you will kindly recommend me’.

Ida returned to France in May 1917, serving at various hospitals, and casualty clearing stations. She was promoted to A/Sister on 1st June 1917, A/Matron 22 January 1918. On 17th June 1918 she was granted her wish to be posted to an Ambulance Train (No. 24).

Only six days later on the 23rd June at 10:20 the train was targeted in an air raid at Doullens. The War Diary reports: ‘Several bombs dropped in the vicinity of train. Considerable material damage, and Capt G W Will and Sister I. B. Leedham wounded.’ George Wishart Will was Officer Commanding No. 24 Amb. Train, Sister Leedam was wounded in the left leg. The train continued to load up with wounded troops which were taken back to Rouen the next day where Ida was evacuated to No.8 Gen Hosp. She returned to train duty on the 24th July to be on board when a few weeks later, five coaches & the T.R.H.P.O. (any ideas) were ‘derailed, damaged and detached’ as the train crossed points near St Etienne – no staff casualties reported.

Ida was part of the British Army of the Rhine in 1919 & demobilised at the end of 1920.

After a gap of ten years in civvy street she re-joined at the Military Hospital, Catterick for temporary duty. She then had a very short spell of trooping duty on board “Nevasa” before returning to Home Duties, but wasn’t well. In August 1936 Ida was admitted to hospital, diagnosed suffering from parkinsonism and declared unfit for general duties. Her appointment was terminated in February 1937, Ida died on 17th November 1944 with a recorded age of 66.

Freebmd https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

24 Ambulance Train 1918 Jan – 1919 Apr: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/96b7df4368f840b591c3fe063a739a67

Nurse Records File https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10797624

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe
added Leedam info

Hello ZeZe,

Ida's war was certainly interesting.

'Francis' is probably Staff Nurse Alice A, FRANCIS, T.F.N.S. served on an [un-named] 'Hospital Ship' from 27/01/15 according to the 1914-15 Star roll. Thee is no service record.

A less likely candidate is Staff Nurse Evelyn Charlotte FRANCIS, who was posted to 'Dover Castle' from Edinburgh on 05/09/15. She was transferred to Alexandria on 18/04/16, then stayed in Egypt.

Sister Annice Stuart GRAY served on 'Asturias' from 02/03/16 until 07/08/16 {WO 399/3270}.

Ethel Julia Marion KEENE joined QAIMNS on 24/12/1892 as Staff Nurse.

She was at Warley Hospital on the 1914 Star roll, and served abroad {or on hospital ship} from 09/10/14.

She was a Sister on 22/06/15 when she was mentioned in dispatches.

Ethel was Acting Matron on the BW & VM roll.

She was Acting Matron when awarded the R.R.C. {1st class} on 01/01/18.

Ethel was a Sister when placed on retired pay due to ill health on 15/06/21.

A nursing register has her as Acting Matron at the Sick Sisters Ward, Q.A. Military Hospital, Grosvenor Road, S.W.1.

Regards,

Alf McM

ZeZe,

Searched for 'KEENE' in Maud McCarthy's diary and found quite a lot;-

Letter from Miss Keene, new A/Matron Asturias, saying she is not a good sailor, but she will write again later and say how she is getting on.

Letter received from Miss Keene, Matron, Asturias, to say Nurse Francis TFNS causing trouble, OC wishing her to be moved. This is the Nurse who was so troublesome at 25 General Hospital, and who I interviewed. Very undisciplined, inclined to think all hands against her.

Went on board the “Asturias” which was waiting and not loading until the “Maheno” had sailed. Saw the OC, Capt. Gibbs, who said that the nursing arrangements were satisfactory, but that the Matron, Miss Keene, was not so clever a manager as the former Matron, Miss Gibb. He did not express any disappointment at the thought of her being moved at the end of 6 months’ service.

Rouen – Havre
Left at 8 a.m. for Havre – reported at DDMS office, where I rang up Headquarters and I learnt that the Matron-in-Chief, War Office, had telegraphed asking that the new Matron for the Hospital Ship “Asturias” should join forthwith as she was not making another journey to France, but was going East taking a large number of trained nurses and VADs for Malta. Said she had given instructions that the present Matron, Miss Keene and two Staff Nurses, Francis and Maggitt, should remain on shore and asked for reports on their work. As the Asturias had left, I asked that Miss Cowie, who was waiting at Headquarters, should go at once to Boulogne, and proceed to Southampton with as little delay as possible and that the War Office should be informed of what arrangements had been made.

SMO, St. Omer, rang up to say that the Matron of 7 General Hospital had been sent down sick to 14 General Hospital. Arranged for Miss Keene, QAIMNS, from 10 Stationary Hospital, to go for temporary duty in her place.

From there to 7 General to see the OC with reference to the illness of the A/Matron, Miss Fairchild, QAIMNS. He reported that her work had not been entirely satisfactory, and he did not think she was capable of managing such a large charge. Miss Keene, the present A/Matron, has been posted there temporarily with a view to seeing whether she will be able to carry on.

Miss Keene, QAIMNS: Sent orders for Miss Keene, QAIMNS to continue carrying on the duties of A/Matron at 7 General Hospital in consequence of the Officer in charge saying that her work was satisfactory, also asked for a report to be furnished in 2 months as to her suitability as a Matron in order to confirm the appointment.

Termination of Engagement: War Office letter received terminating the engagement of Staff Nurse N. M.Balmer, QAIMNSR on medical grounds. Sent for confidential report from Miss Keene, A/Matron, QAIMNS, 7 General Hospital, under who she served on Hospital Ship “Asturias”.

7 General Hospital: Miss Keene, QAIMNS A/Matron, 7 General Hospital, wrote saying that the beds were to be permanently increased to 1500 and asking for an increase of nursing staff.

From 10 Stationary I went to 7 General Hospital where I saw Colonel Waring, the OC, and Miss Keene, QAIMNS, the A/Matron, about the accommodation for Sisters suffering from infectious diseases. 12 beds have been arranged for this purpose, and as a temporary measure marquees had been erected, but 2 Torrence huts were being put up with accommodation for 6 patients in each. On leaving 7 General I returned to Abbeville and reached Headquarters at 7 p.m.

Visited No.7 General Hospital where I saw the Matron, Miss Keene, who was on the sick list, suffering from cystitis. The CO, Colonel Waring, said that he was arranging for her to be transferred to 14 General Hospital for treatment.

14 General Hospital:. I saw Miss Keene QAIMNS who is suffering from cystitis, and Miss Watkins QAIMNS who has a floating kidney. Both of them will have to go home on Sick Leave.

Cystitis was the reason for Ethel's medical discharge..

Regards,

Alf McM