Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Florence Adeline Borrett BRCS/OSJJ RAF Matron NCAA

kingsman64

Dear all

Just thought I would share my latest acquisition with the forum and tell the story of the lady behind the medal group. Firstly, I must say that I do consider myself a very lucky individual and seem to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time. My friends just call me a “Sticky B*******!” but hey there you go.

I recently bought unseen from a small provincial auction house a 1914-15 Star trio (pic. attd.) I had spotted the description on the auction house web-site and they appeared interesting right away. I collect First World War groups with either a civilian award in the group or to an unusual surname; this often makes research a little easier. I then research them to death before I make another purchase, this helps keep the spending under control and the Wife happy! The group was named to F. A. Borrett B.R.C.S. & O.S.J.J. A quick look at the MIC on Documents online identified the recipient as one Florence A Borrett, first theatre of war was given as 3 Egypt 12/06/1915 and cryptically a message on the MIC say’s “R.A.F. June 1918 R.A.F. will take no action re-medals”.

I decided that there was a good research opportunity here so duly placed my absentee bid of £125 and patiently waited to see if I bagged them. Imagine my surprise when I received a call on the afternoon of the Auction to say they where mine for the princely sum of £55! I nearly fell off my chair when they arrived a few days later as the medal group was mounted for wear and there was a Mentioned in Despatches emblem on the Victory medal ribbon which had clearly been there from day one several nursing badges, a WW1 Red Cross cap badge and a WW2 defence medal minus ribbon but wrapped in wax paper.

Research began in earnest and here is what I have uncovered in the last couple of weeks.

Florence Adeline Borrett was born in Norwich in 1880 one of seven children to William Borrett and Leonora Borrett 1881 census shows them as living at 76 Nelson Street Heigham Norfolk. Sadly by 1891 the family is broken up six of the children are now residing with an Aunt Harriet Le Strange at 25 Muspole Street Norwich, Florence is shown as living with an Aunt and Uncle Eliza and Alfred Wishop in a public house called the “Dutch Hoy” Whapload road Lowestoft, she was now 11 years old. Further investigation revealed that the head of the Borrett family William had died aged 54 in September 1884 his Wife Leonora had also passed away in September 1886 she was just 35 years old. Was this double family tragedy which left 7 children orphaned the reason Florence went into Nursing?

My next sighting of Florence comes from many mentions in the British Journal of Nursing May 17th 1913 “Miss F A Borrett becomes a member of the Registered Nurses Society membership number 3250”. In the issue for December 19th 1914 the following reference:

“Many congenial bits of work fall to the lot of trained nurses in the course of their duty, and Miss F A Borrett, a member of the Registered Nurses Society, is at present engaged in one which is especially interesting. The thousands of readers of this JOURNAL who

have read and re-read “Ships that Pass in the Night ” and other books by its talented author, Miss Beatrice Harraden, will realise that when-she was invited from America to inspect and report on the arrangements for the Refugees in Holland, a happier choice could not have been made. Owing to a serious accident, Miss Harraden had occasion

to consult her medical adviser as to whether she should undertake this work, and the reply was, “ Yes, if you take Nurse Borrett with you.” So because the nurse can do her part, the splendid writer will no doubt be able to give to the world work of the greatest value. We congratulate both”.

May 22nd 1915 article and a Photograph!

The British residents and visitors at Alexandria and Cairo are t o be congratulated on their promptness, resourcefulness, and liberality. To meet the needs of the sudden influx of sick and wounded, and through the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, now in Egypt, they sent home for thoroughly trained nurses to be dispatched at once. The nurses were selected by Miss Moore, Matron of the Duchess Nursing Home, Beaumont Street, W., and their passage by the P. & 0. Steamer Mongolia, ‘were taken and other arrangements

made by the Hon. Mrs. Aubrey Herbert. So without any red tape, or delay, a party of 24

nurses left Tilbury on Saturday, 15th inst. It included Miss F. Borrett, Miss F. Duckett, Miss C. Evans, and Miss L. Park, of the Registered Nurses’ Society ; Miss K. Bland, Miss J. Bryan, Miss M. Buxton, Miss K. Coldwell, Miss M. Copinger, Miss G. Conolly, Miss A. Holmes, Miss E. John, Miss D. Jones, Miss C. Keene, Miss A. Lewis-Edwards, Miss M. Little, Miss M. MacCall, Miss G, Maclean, Miss C. Pearson, Miss M. Roberts,

Miss E. Sharp, Miss E. Smart, Miss N. Taylor-Morley.

That this party of thoroughly trained and certificated nurses should have been selected and dispatched a t a few days’ notice is proof, if proof is needed, that there are nurses to be had if the War Office or other employers are willing to pay the fees which they ordinarily command.

We are pleased to know the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, through whom a large contingent of nurses were sent to Cairo on Saturday, has arranged for those selected to receive £2. 2s. a week as long as their services are required, and on these terms several members of the Trained Nurses’ Economic League were engaged from the Registered Nurses Society, and as presented on page 433 feel sure those who employ them and our brave wounded men for whom they are to care, with all their skill and devotion, will feel they are well worth the money, Meanwhile they will be able to fulfill their family obligations with peace of mind.

Then a cracking summary of service appears in the British Journal of Nursing dated

July 19th 1919

APPOINTMENTS

MATRON

Children’s Hostel, Tower Cressey, London, W. Miss Florence A. Borrett has been appointed Matron. She was trained at the Halifax Royal Infirmary 1908-11 and Norwich Isolation Hospital, and has been Sister at the Grove Hospital, S.W., and served on H.M. Hospital Ship Galeka. As a member of the Registered Nurses’ Society, London, she was selected for active service in Egypt, and was for three years at the British Red Cross Hospital, Giza, as Sister and Assistant Matron, and was later Lady Superintendent R.A.F. of the Women Workers’ Camp, R.A.F., at Aboukir.

Her British Red Cross service record confirms her date of engagement 12/6/15 till 24/6/18 and also confirms “Mentioned in Sir Archibald Murray’s dispatch 26/7/1917”. Interestingly this record also shows her permanent place of residence as C/O Miss Beatrice Harraden, 78 Clarence Square Gardens, London NW1. Clearly she was still in the employ post war of the famous Suffragette Beatrice Harraden as a personal nurse? Or possibly they had become friends and companions after their earlier meeting in 1914?

The Times 16th March 1933

Her Majesty Queen Mary graciously opened Castlebar Babies Home, National Children’s Adoption Association 15th March 1933. The Queen was received by the Mayor of Lewisham, the Duchess of Abercorn (chairman N.C.A.A.) Lady Augusta Inskip, Miss Clara Andrew (founder) and the Bishop of Southwark. The Matron Miss F. A. Borrett was presented to the Queen by the Duchess of Abercorn.

The last reference I have to Florence is her attending the funeral service of Miss Clara Andrew the founder of the National Children’s Adoption Association in July 1939 when she is still listed as Matron of the Castlebar Babies Home 46 Sydenham Hill London SE26. She was a registered nurse right up to 1947 so there is a chance she served in WW2 and the defence medal is hers. I must find out and then add it officially to her well earned WW1 trio.

I am sure you will agree a fascinating lady who visited Dutch refugees in 1914, volunteered for service in Egypt 1915 worked off Murdos on the H.M.H.S. Galeka the B.R.C.S. Hospital Giza where she was M.I.D. Then transferred to the R.A.F. Nursing service and finally spent the latter years of her nursing life looking after babies in the fledgling National Adoption Association, and nursing until at least 67 years old.

All this from a neglected medal group in a small auction house I love this hobby! Florence for years to come will now have proper recognition where ever her medals end up. Hope you have enjoyed Florence Adeline Borrett’s almost complete story.

post-2871-1144923112.jpgPicture of medals

post-2871-1144923546.jpgPicture of 4 nurses from the registered nurses society of London.

They are Sister Park, Sister Evans, Sister Borrett seated left and Sister Duckett seated right.

Hope you have enjoyed Florence Adeline Borrett’s almost complete story.

I enjoyed it very much thank you Paul - especially since I'd only recently added her name to my list of those that had any connection with the Galeka.

Thank you for sharing. As you said - a fascinating hobby indeed - and another wonderful story told.

Cheers, Frev.

Name looks familiar. Can't quite place it... :D

That's a much better picture than the online verision. I assume you contacted the RCN Archive direct to obtain the picture?

As Frev said. Another fsacinating life.

Steve.

Name looks familiar. Can't quite place it... :D

Steve

Yes of course a major thank you for pointing me to the RCN web site and the HITS on Florence. Credit where credit is due! :P

Register of Nurses 1928

Florence Adeline Borrett trained at the Royal Halifax Infirmary from 1908 to 1911 for her certificate and registered as SRN No. 4977 on 21 July 1922. In 1928 her address was given as 14 Sewell Road, Norwich, Norfolk.

Many thanks RRC for the extra snippett that explains the number 4977 on the reverse of some of the nursing badges!

Regards

Paul

Lovely group of medals and a great price! I recall how thrilled I was to finally land a trio to a Canadian nursing sister for my CEF collection. They just don't show up on the market that often.

Cheers,

Terry