Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Flying Corps Pilot Brevet (Wings)

dutchbarge

On 28/09/2022 at 15:19, dutchbarge said:

Although claimed to have come from "the estate of", the stitching on these eBay offerings lacks the 'petit point' appearance of the genuine item, n'est-ce pas?  ...................................Cheers, BIll

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I know this thread is old however the above wings are authentic and this is made by examination of period portrait photos and I also have the exact wing from

a Reserve Squadron pilot Lt. Kemp that was worn with identical paper backing with documents and his officers cap badge. I also have a mint one like that above with the exact same paper backing.

Warren Carroll claims in his book "Wings" that this is actually a "1914" period wing and the one he depicts is also from a veteran Duggan of 5 & 205 squadron.  I also have several RFC

wings from veteran estates to include a Lt. Chalmers which also has a normal type thread. Not all RFC wings have that "rope" appearence thread.

Please note: the badge is not a brevet. Calling it a brevet does not make it so. The flying badges [all of them] are officially flying badges.

If accuracy matters as much as authenticity, called them flying badges.