Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Pre WW1 Artillery Shell Casing Questions

KyleSchuette

MikeyH got there first. It's usually called the primer, although it's a bit more of a subassembly than the Boxer or Berdan in a smallarms round.

55 minutes ago, worx said:

Hi Mike, I was hoping screwed in, thank you, time to engineer a tool 👌

Make sure you dose it with 'plusgas', or similar releasing spray or fluid.  It will be TIGHT.

Mike.

If you have to heat the case to expand  around it, do so gently so as not to discolour it.

I've only attempted to remove one primer (off a British 18-pdr shell case) and that was a massive challenge. I had the right tool for the job but that wouldn't budge it and, in the end, I had to use a lot of heat and a suitably sized pin punch. I don't think it was cemented into place but, when removed, there was a lot a whitish deposit all over the thread which made it hard to unscrew.

3 hours ago, Spaceman said:

I've only attempted to remove one primer (off a British 18-pdr shell case) and that was a massive challenge. I had the right tool for the job but that wouldn't budge it and, in the end, I had to use a lot of heat and a suitably sized pin punch. I don't think it was cemented into place but, when removed, there was a lot a whitish deposit all over the thread which made it hard to unscrew.

Well, yes, the recesses don't look deep, or sharp - and there might be some electrogalvanic action after such a bunch o' years.

I think you'd have to really, really want to get it out, to have a good chance of success without collateral damage. :D