Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H Grinter DCM MM

Pompey

I am re-reading 'We Will Remember Them' By Max Arthur and one of the illustrations is a photo of two disabled veterans Mr E Jackson, who lost an arm and Mr H Grinter DCM MM, who lost both legs in the war, shown manufacturing cornflowers for the Ypres league.  I have searched for details of Mr Grinter's service record and the award of the DCM and MM without success.  Does anyone have any details of his service?

Thanks in advance

Pompey

Edited by Pompey

Yes that is the exact photograph in the book, but there are no further details in the book apart from the location, Old Kent Road and their names and injuries.

Peter Warrington's MM Register only has one GRINTER who won a MM - a Thomas W. Grinter, 307520 of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I could not find a H Grinter on the DCM register, I then thought that the names were the wrong way round but that did not help either.  So that leaves a typo or misspelling of the name printed. 

Thanks Ivor, hopefully there will be someone on the forum that has a solution to this conundrum

I have tried GRIMTER also to no avail

Edited by Pompey

Does anyone know if the Ypres League who ran the Factory on The Old Kent Road before the Haig Foundation kept any records of their employees or when the Haig Foundation started making poppies there did they keep records?  I know a photo exists of the original employees of the Haig Foundation is Mr H Grinter DCM MM amongst them or a name close to that, If I could find a unit or another spelling of his name it might help to solve the mystery of Mr Grinter.

This is from Genes reunited, sorry subs ran out so best I could do. One more initial though. Another which could be Harold J Grinter 10039

grinter.JPG

grinter 2.JPG

Edited by busterfield

The only evidence in favour of Harold J. Grinter of the Royal Sussex Regt. is that he got a silver war badge:

He is not listed in Walker's register of WW1 DCMs under Royal Sussex Regt..

image.png.4c5d45cef5e494cf78e0f4dda63b72e1.png

Thanks Busterfield and Ivor that has helped a lot! 

We have now have a chief 'Suspect'  No L10039 /100393 LCpl / Pte Harold J Grinter of the 2nd Royal Sussex Regiment also served with the 3rd Bn and 9th (Service) Battalion. A pre war regular (18/10/1912) wounded in 1914, 1916 and 1917 and 1918 discharged 23/10/1918 Paragraph 392 King's Regulations (xvi) No longer physically fit for war service at the age of 23. 

He also managed a court martial (10/10/16), whilst in Newhaven as a LCpl with the 3rd Bn The accused was charged with "Drunkenness". The details of this offence are outlined in Section 19 of the Army Offences Act of 1881. The accused was charged under Section 22 of the 1881 Army Act. This Offence is committed by anyone who, "Being in arrest or confinement, or in prison or otherwise in lawful custody, escapes, or attempts to escape". Sentenced to 42 days.

It might be time for a search of the war diaries to find some mention of DCM or MM actions/recommendations as there does not seem to be any other record(?)

Edited by Pompey
update

It looks like the man in the photo might be him - LETTER transcript from: www.media.gov.on.ca › 26dbb04bed858ad4 › en › transcripts › page.html

No. 10039 Pte. [Private] H. Grinter
9th Royal Sussex Regt. [Regiment]
Victor Ward
Hamstead General Hospital
Haverstock Hill
London N.W. 3

Sir

While I was at your C.S. [Clearing Station] you amputated my two legs and you gave me your address to write as soon as I had been in England a fortnight.
The operation was on the 28 and 29th July.
I have only just got home as I have been at [R]ouen where the flaps were brought over and stitched these however have been out for ten days now leaving only two small holes as drainage areas. These are healing well and it may not be long before the piece of bone is removed from the base of the stump. After that I shall go to Roehampton to get myself fitted up with artificial legs which I believe are very good. It may interest you to know all Doctors here with the exception of the Surgeon are Ladies.
Would you please thank the nurses in the ward for their kindness to me and I wish if it is not taking a liberty to thank you Sir for the splendid way you have done my legs. Every one is pleased with them so I close remaining

Your Obedient Servant,
Harold Grinter
Pte. Sussex Regt.

In a News Item from the West Sussex Gazette dated 28 Sep 1922 covering a boxing match where Harold Grinter presented an appeal on behalf of the British Legion Chichester Branch  it stated that he also had the Croix de Guerre and corresponding decorations from Belgium and Italy,  along with the DCM and MM.

Edited by Pompey

2 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Casualty List 4th Sept 1917 states he was from/enlisted in Brighton: https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194140417

Probably wounded around July 1917?

image.png.6967b7eedd6f00a0d83c2af260683769.png

It is hard to criticize a man who lost both legs in action, but his award claims are looking suspicious!

I know Ivor when it is hard to find proof of the awards and yet he was highly respected at the British Legion and was the main man when the Chichester Branch of the  'Old Contemptibles' formed up to receive a new standard at a parade in 1950.  Surely if he was on a 'Walter Mitty' trip he would have had his bluff called long before then?

It might be possible to find an obituary ? From Free BMD I could only find one Harold J Grinter in the right location and age

Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 

Deaths Dec 1961   (>99%)
GRINTER  Harold J  66  Worthing  5h 820

9th Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment war diary: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353326

This officer joined the 9th battalion during the first week of July 1917, the month that Grinter could have been wounded:

image.png.c28aaf57a4e2d1457a48a1eb345c7a67.png

The Bn. moved into the CANADA TUNNELS/ Mt Sorrel section, SE of Ypres on 21-22nd July 1917 (note the letter re op on 28-29 July):

image.png.f06c4f6c3119eaf1602348e867667d20.png

NB - Could Lt Compton have been his inspiration??  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1607457/guy-compton/

image.png.2fcf3ed81dfdc06ee9566eb66b6e0442.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

16 minutes ago, Pompey said:

Surely if he was on a 'Walter Mitty' trip he would have had his bluff called long before then?

Who is going to question a war hero who lost both legs in action? I hope we are wrong, but the evidence for the awards should be there!

9 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

9th Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment war diary: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353326

This officer joined the 9th battalion during the first week of July 1917, the month that Grinter could have been wounded:

image.png.c28aaf57a4e2d1457a48a1eb345c7a67.png

Killed in Action 27 July 1917 and had also been in the Royal Sussex as LCpl - Sgt from 1914 onwards where he was awarded the DCM and MM

On 22/08/2022 at 12:59, Pompey said:

Killed in Action 27 July 1917 and had also been in the Royal Sussex as LCpl - Sgt from 1914 onwards where he was awarded the DCM and MM

He may have been killed on the same day/in the same action that GRINTER was so badly injured!

Another died along with Compton: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/928773/oliver-brackpool/

This soldier died on 27th July 1917 too: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/908487/william-frank-hall/

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

2 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Who is going to question a war hero who lost both legs in action? I hope we are wrong, but the evidence for the awards should be there!

If you have served from Aug 1914 til 1918 and have been wounded multiple times and then lose both your legs what more do you have to prove?  I do hope we are wrong and the records are there somewhere, but it is certainly looking like he was a 'Bloater' and boosted his war record until we can prove one way or the other!  Maybe the answer could lie with the foreign decorations ?

On 22/08/2022 at 12:02, Pompey said:

it stated that he also had the Croix de Guerre and corresponding decorations from Belgium and Italy,  along with the DCM and MM.

Quite the collection. He held virtually all possible gallantry awards other than the VC.

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info