Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancaster Convalescent Home Barnsley

Margaretnolan

1 hour ago, Bob Davies said:

Unfortunately Google Book tells me I can't see anything as either the page is not available or I have exhausted the number of preview pages I can see. But I take it there are no related pictures for the Reverend Mitchell as a search of the book only brings up three matches for the word Mitchell, all relating to a local employer.

Indeed and there is another undated and unnamed group picture that potentially could include the Reverend Lewis. However he is even more unfocused than the image where he was named, so I didn't think it would add anything to making a comparison.

Just going into Barnsley in the Great War by John Howse via a Google Search rather then you link and will let me search for St Edwards and came up with the picture of the vicarage already posted. I can also see the picture of the Lancaster Byng Boys.

548833721_LancasterByngBoyssourcedBarnsleyintheGreatWarbyGeoffreyHowse.png.b68a2673cf30fafc9e6773649eff7129.png

All image rights remain with the source and restrictions may apply to re-use.

And I assume this is Matron Mary Bellamy, one pre 1st July 1916 from the postcard, and one from February 1917 from above.

168065138_MatronBellamyPanel1.png.6c5fb77abef3910af0f598f70f4eb864.png

All image rights remain with the original sources and restrictions may apply to re-use.

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin
45 minutes ago, PRC said:

And I assume this is Matron Mary Bellamy, one pre 1st July 1916 from the postcard, and one from February 1917 from above.

Yes Peter, that is what I deduced from the words in the book. Written in the text, the names of Physician Dr Slater and Matron Miss Mary Bellamy are mentioned but not next to or linked to a picture. That is the said picture of the 'Byng boys' in the same book. (which you also posted as a small picture a few posts back)  Side by side they are the same woman for certain. Thank you @Michelle Youngfor splitting this thread from 'postcards' to 'medical services' Cheers, Bob.

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin
10 hours ago, PRC said:

Someone with subscription access will hopefully be able to confirm he is a clergyman.

Yes Peter, 1939 he is listed as 'Clerk in Holy Orders'. Marriage Bann to Ethel Mary nee Hay in 3 Aug 1913.    1911 Census; boarding at 9 Magazine Lane New Brighton. Clergyman, Clerk Holy Orders.

Yes Peter, that is what I deduced from the words in the book. Written in the text, the names of Physician Dr Slater and Matron Miss Mary Bellamy are mentioned but not next to or linked to a picture.

Thanks for tracking that down as I had wondered if she might be Mrs Mitchell or Mrs Lewis. In the case of the Norfolk Halls given over to such use, I'm used to the female of the household quite often remaining in residence and adopting some kind of theatrical costumiers idea of a matrons \ nurses outfit. Doesn't half lead lead to confusion when you see them in these kind of group pictures as any badges worn are non-standard.

There was a comment early on that the potential nurse present did not appear to be wearing any of the standard badges so my first thought was that it could be the vicars' wife. Fortunately you've saved me from disappearing down that rabbit hole :)

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin
On 13/08/2022 at 17:56, Margaretnolan said:

Written on the back of this one is “ Army Hospital 1915 France”.

Hi Margaret, as a side interest at this point for my curiosity, would you post a picture of the words on the back of the post card please. It would be interesting to see if it was written back in 1915 or at a much later date.  There is no doubt that the place has been identified but it would put that one to rest at least. Then only to find Miss Mary Bellamy and others on ancestry etc. Best wishes, Bob. 

On 14/08/2022 at 00:29, FROGSMILE said:

It’s quite significant that in subject photo none of the men are wearing hospital blue, which suggests that the convalescent centre offered some variation as regards the category of casualty benefiting from its activities. 

A very interesting comment you make FROGSMILE, I need to put my mind to that one. Initially I thought similar to Peter, their last photo before moving on, the young lads not looking too happy whereas the three older men smiling. The Lance Corporal on the right smoking his pipe with an air of confidence. There is so much in this photograph.....Regards, Bob.

8 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Hi Margaret, as a side interest at this point for my curiosity, would you post a picture of the words on the back of the post card please. It would be interesting to see if it was written back in 1915 or at a much later date.  There is no doubt that the place has been identified but it would put that one to rest at least. Then only to find Miss Mary Bellamy and others on ancestry etc. Best wishes, Bob. 

A very interesting comment you make FROGSMILE, I need to put my mind to that one. Initially I thought similar to Peter, their last photo before moving on, the young lads not looking too happy whereas the three older men smiling. The Lance Corporal on the right smoking his pipe with an air of confidence. There is so much in this photograph.....Regards, Bob.

This is the back Bob. I’m just looking at the word which looks like France. But I’m wondering now did I misread it.

Margaret

9B57074F-4488-4EE6-BFA1-24433B7EB006.jpeg

Edited by Margaretnolan

May be wrong but looks like the writing was possibly done with a biro - in which case added much, much later.

Cheers,
Peter

Looking at it now..I think you’re right. Actually you are..as I’ve tried to erase a letter with a pencil eraser.

Margaret

• Admin
1 hour ago, Margaretnolan said:

This is the back Bob. I’m just looking at the word which looks like France. But I’m wondering now did I misread it.

Margaret

Thank you Margaret, you read it correctly. It certainly reads 'Army hospital 1915 France' but as @PRCPeter says, probably added at a much later date and by some one taking a broad guess. They were not to know :-) At least now we know where and when ish and almost who, thanks to every one who has contributed here and all the book writers ad church web page creators etc. Cheers, Bob. Edit; also what @charlie962  has just posted. 

Edited by Bob Davies

Matron Miss M E Bellamy was amongst those brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War 1919 for valuable nursing services rendered. She had been Matron at Bridgewater Infirmery in 1900. She appears on the 1901 Bridgewater census as Mary E Bellamy, aged 38, born Hull. 

Her medal index card at NA notes her as Matron, Lancaster Home, inelligible for BWM/VM  

"Medal card of Bellamy, M E Corps: Lancaster Homes for Soldiers and Sailors ... | The National Archives" https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6067403

In 1939 Register she, Mary Emma Bellamy, b 7/5/1862 is living (own means) with her spinster sister in Harrogate. 

died Harrogate 4/12/1957. 

sample tree here on Ancestry. 

"Mary Emma Bellamy - Facts" https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/174166508/person/222309250729/facts

Edited by charlie962

On 14/08/2022 at 00:09, PRC said:

Sourced courtesy http://stedwardsremembers.blogspot.com/p/the-lancaster-convalescent-home.html

This site has a partial list of men treated at the hospital.

I've emailed the blog owner to see if there are higher quality images available that could firm up the likely identification of Miss Mary Emma Bailey  or provide an image of Henry Mitchell for comparison.  Gut feel is that we have found the right location and matron, but so far no irrefutable evidence to make that a 100% positive identification.

Cheers,
Peter

10 minutes ago, PRC said:

Gut feel is that we have found the right location

More than that. -the detail background incl that ventilation postbox is identical.

24 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

More than that. -the detail background incl that ventilation postbox is identical.

Like I said Charlie when I first posted in this thread, I'd seen those kinds of vents on other properties of the period so it's not unique, nor is the kind of stone and the lintels. I'd like to say I can see an airbrick in the second picture but it would be a triumph of hope over observation. Similarly I'd like to say the white bonneted nurse on the back right of the second picture is Matron Bailey but at that level of resolution it's wishful thinking.

Don't get me wrong. I very strongly believe that if we had access to some of those other inages at the same level of resolution as the postcard then we would be virtually high fiving and my reservations would disappear instantly:)

So for now just sounding a note of caution, nothing more.

Cheers,
Peter