Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancaster Convalescent Home Barnsley

Margaretnolan

Written on the back of this one is “ Army Hospital 1915 France”.
Photographers stamp looks like Denton and Co. Barnsley.

Not a scan I’m afraid.

Margaret

7A2DAD12-D320-421A-B5B7-820E0D817836.jpeg

E2E27536-1AE6-4849-BE28-83EB60A2C2B7.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

Not a scan I’m afraid.

Margaret

7A2DAD12-D320-421A-B5B7-820E0D817836.jpeg

E2E27536-1AE6-4849-BE28-83EB60A2C2B7.jpeg

Somewhere in Britain I think Margaret, and more like a convalescent home perhaps than a hospital (none of the men have visual injuries and there’s not one bandage to be seen).  Two of the women are in civilian clothes and the one woman who is dressed as a nurse/matron is wearing neither, a VAD, nor a military nurses uniform.  The reverend might be the chaplain of the establishment (whatever it is), as most had one. The units depicted are quite mixed, as usual at a medical establishment, and of the insignia visible I can make out Royal Artillery, Royal Irish Regiment, Royal Berkshire Regiment, and a rifleman, possibly of the London Rifle Brigade (black buttons, but indistinct cap badge).  The men appear too relaxed and free of bandages to be in France I think.  Quite early in the war it seems, as all SD caps are P1905 and a few men are wearing the simplified emergency pattern jacket quite widely issued in the first 18-months of the war.  The hatless fellow in the rear rank appears to have leather buttons, or perhaps painted metal, it’s unclear.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
4 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Not a scan I’m afraid.

Margaret

An interesting picture Margaret, thanks for posting it. I take it there are no postmarks etc on the back? Two things that I see immediately are one, the letter box or whatever it is with the Star of David on it, set into the wall behind the happy looking soldier, back row second in from the right. Second thing is what is the badge on the young girls hat bonnet seated on the right? Also the lance Cpl standing on the right has a good conduct stripe on his arm. Well I think that is what it is. Regards, Bob. Edit here; The sticks/small branches of trees used as temporary fencing seem to be a fairly common thing in these old houses used as convalescence homes in the UK. I have seen a few old photos at this stage ;-) They could be used in France too but I too get the feeling it is in the UK.

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin
8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I thought the letter box very French.

I could not find one on the google search but it does not look British to me. Likewise I don't know a huge amount about the hospitals/convalescence homes in France. The young girl on the right could be French, her bonnet may be a clue? Edit here; The words on the back may tell the truth, why would they not?

Edited by Bob Davies

I'm now not convinced it's even a letter box. 

I am very worried that the vicar seems to be tickling the nurse's bonnet badge with a riding crop??? The bonnet badge seems to be the letter P.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I'm now not convinced it's even a letter box. 

I am very worried that the vicar seems to be tickling the nurse's bonnet badge with a riding crop??? The bonnet badge seems to be the letter P.

It is an odd one, no real letter slot to be honest, sometimes these things take a bit of looking and pondering over. The clergy man yes, there is movement as the photo was taken possibly so yes I see what you mean. Is he dressed as per a French religious man?

The clergyman looks very English. It is quite probable that that is his wife on the left of the Matron and his daughter on the right. They  are perhaps housing a few recuperating soldier's at the vicarage?

While it could have been a reprint done by a local company, I suspect with a building made from what looks like York Stone, lack of bandages, etc that this was taken local to Barnsley. I also remember seeing vent covers on older building with the "club" shaped holes, usually associated with drying rooms, and the presence of a nearby airbrick might support that.

However got me thinking. This website told me that Barnsley had a VAD Hospital but also a "Gratuitous" hospital, known as Lancaster Home. https://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/Hospital/

The Wartime memories site added:-

92783227_WartimeMemoriessnapshot130822.png.c1c4d5319d68827784a1ac28aab5a969.png
Image courtesy https://wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/hospitals/hospital.php?pid=15391

And hunting for images from the Kingstone Remembers brings up :-

1960471808_LancasterConvalescentHomeStEdwardsVicagesourcedbarnsleybeneficeorg.jpg.796eea4b019d86f25d637a9dd5db0505.jpg

Sourced https://www.barnsleybenefice.org/st-edwards/history56140/kingstone-at-war/

1778194344_LancasterConvalescentHomecompilationsourcedstedwardsremembersbogspptcom.jpg.8ac66e1748870627d5ca1961a54f9b10.jpg

Sourced courtesy http://stedwardsremembers.blogspot.com/p/the-lancaster-convalescent-home.html

This site has a partial list of men treated at the hospital.

Certainly looks like a potential match in places for some of the fencing, the stone construction of the building and the lintels over some of the windows, (see centre row right in the last picture).

Someone with access to the book may be able to provide either a better match or prove it's just a co-incidence.

It may also identify some of the staff. Even though the last picture only has thumbnail images it looks potentially like some of the same ladies could be present.

Cheers,
Peter

I too think that the ‘letter box’ is a typical cast iron, chimney, or steam vent, cover.

Brilliant sleuthing Peter, the Vicarage convalescent centre seems very likely to me to be the location of subject photo.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

By jove I think he has it! Great work Peter, I can now sleep soundly, the Barnsley clue held it, possibly a B on her bonnet too ? Thank you all!

It’s quite significant that in subject photo none of the men are wearing hospital blue, which suggests that the convalescent centre offered some variation as regards the category of casualty benefiting from its activities. 

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s quite significant that in subject photo none of the men are wearing hospital blue, which suggests that the convalescent centre offered some variation as regards the category of casualty benefiting from its activities. 

I did wonder if the group in the photograph might have been going on an outing for which hospital blues might be deemed too casual. Might explain the smart appearance of the young ladies as well. Alternatively such auxiliary hospitals served as outliers for a General Hospital, so undoubtedly the men would have arrived in hospital blues. As they moved through their convalescence they may have been re-introduced to wearing their uniforms and the associated cleaning and maintenance. One possibility for the postcard is that the members of the group has reached the end of their convalescence and were about to be discharged - a sort of medical graduation picture:)

As to dating it, my working theory is that the ecclesiastical gentleman pictured could well be the vicar of St Edwards. A quick check of the newspaper previews on FindMyPast shows that from the consecration of the church of St Edward the Confessor, Barnesley, in 1902 until 1916, the incumbent was a Henry Mitchell. Reverend Mitchell apparently was frequently in hot water for publicly criticising the tightfistedness of his parishoners - one has to wonder if he was so unworldly that he did not realise he had moved to Yorkshire:). In 1916 he took a military chaplaincy. (Sheffield Independant May 27th 1916).

His successor was a G.O. Lewis, who remained there until he moved to Ossett in 1928.

The 1911 Census of England & Wales has a 43 year old Henry Mitchell, born Holbeach, Lincolnshire, and a Priest of the Church of England, recorded as the married head of the household at St Edwards Vicarage, Barnsley. He lives there with wife Selina, (37, born Edmonton) and their two children, plus two live in doemstic servants.

Lots of newspaper references to the Reverend G.O. Lewis either at Barnsley or subsequent moves that reference he had been at St Edwards, Barnsley, but not one give his first names. A wildcard search of the 1921 Census of England & Wales, (G* Lewis Barnsley), also failed to turn up any matches - any match for a male G. Lewis who didn't have a middle name were all too young.

Revisiting the newspapers, the Reverend G.O. Lewis was appointed Vicar of Sledmere, East Riding in 1935, and subsequently Vicar of Redcar according to newspapers dated November 1939.

I suspect when the 1939 Register was taken on the 29th September 1939 this might be the man concerned.

1741952703_GeorgeOwenLewis1939RegistersourcedFMP.png.692be2ffd11d2cf6cc43171acc948e08.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast.

Someone with subscription access will hopefully be able to confirm he is a clergyman.

Not found an image for either man online, but perhaps the face on the postcard would be more in keepong with a man born c1868, (Henry Mitchell) rather than 1885, (George Owen Lewis), if the picture was taken between 1914 and 1919.

Cheers,
Peter

Hospital blues were mandatory, including for visits with the only caveat being in winter, when greatcoats were worn on top, but with hospital blue armbands** decreed.  The Army was very strict about the regulation and it was generally observed, albeit that the blue armbands were sometimes omitted purely because of availability (and no doubt loss).

As to the rest of your research Peter I suspect that you’re bang on the money with your identification.

**also to be worn by wounded officers.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
1 hour ago, PRC said:

Reverend G.O. Lewis

Doing a bit of digging, here is a picture of the Reverend G O Lewis with the St Edward Church Lads Brigade circa 1916; https://www.barnsleybenefice.org/st-edwards/history56140/church-lads-bri/

Edited by Bob Davies

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Can I suggest that this card is worthy of its own thread? 

Seconding charkies charlies' suggestion that perhaps this deserves a thread of its own.:)

2 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Doing a bit of digging, here is a picture of the Reverend G O Lewis with the St Edward Church Lads Brigade circa 1916; https://www.barnsleybenefice.org/st-edwards/history56140/church-lads-bri/

Thank you Bob.

The angle and the presence of the hat make a direct contrast difficult, but for what it's worth, my opinion is two different individuals.

651365022_Clergycomparisonpanel1.png.edd9896586a54e761b1bc5b1a2c1d99e.png

All image righrs remain with the original sources and restrictions on re-use may apply.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos

57 minutes ago, PRC said:

Seconding charkies' suggestion that perhaps this deserves a thread of its own.:)

Thank you Bob.

The angle and the presence of the hat make a direct contrast difficult, but for what it's worth, my opinion is two different individuals.

651365022_Clergycomparisonpanel1.png.edd9896586a54e761b1bc5b1a2c1d99e.png

All image righrs remain with the original sources and restrictions on re-use may apply.

Cheers,
Peter

Yes, I also think it’s two different men.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, PRC said:

my opinion is two different individuals.

Agreed.  My money is on Henry Mitchell. There is something about the original vicar photo that fits with the man who agitated pre and post war (various clippings). 1916 or 17 as an Army Chaplain he spent some time at Canterbury. Partial trees on Ancestry suggest he died 1940. 

Sharkie

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

1916 or 17 as an Army Chaplain he spent some time at Canterbury.

No obvious MiC or surviving long papers. Possibly Home Service only.

The January 1917 British Army List has the Reverend H. Mitchell as a Temporary Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class, with seniority from the 1st July 1916. (Column 1793). https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103221085

So if that is him in civvies in the picture then puts a highly likely end date on the period when it could have been taken.

Cheers,
Peter

5 minutes ago, PRC said:

No obvious MiC or surviving long papers. Possibly Home Service only.

The January 1917 British Army List has the Reverend H. Mitchell as a Temporary Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class, with seniority from the 1st July 1916. (Column 1793). https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103221085

So if that is him in civvies in the picture then puts a highly likely end date on the period when it could have been taken.

Cheers,
Peter

At an establishment handed over specifically for the Army to use it would usually be required that he wear uniform if attending in his capacity as an Army Chaplain, so I think that you’re right that the photo was taken before he was accepted for service with the RAChD.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
6 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Can I suggest that this card is worthy of its own thread? 

Charlie

Yes I third that idea Charlie Sharkie

4 hours ago, PRC said:

Thank you Bob.

My pleasure Peter. Yes they are two different men, The Reverend George Owen Lewis has a fatter face than The Reverend Harry Mitchell. From more searching we have snippets from the book 'Barnsley in the Great War' link here;https://books.google.ie/books?id=9S8qDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT183&lpg=PT183&dq=st+edwards+church+racecommon+road+barnsley&source=bl&ots=5gi6ZlM77o&sig=ACfU3U1gT2V0IJkBtTKu3whNFJ5Ih21kBQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSw_XO38b5AhWzmlwKHR65CF44HhDoAXoECBQQAw#v=onepage&q=st edwards church racecommon road barnsley&f=false   Dr Sadler was the Physician and Matron was Miss Mary Bellamy. There is also a picture of the 'Lancaster Byng Boys' Feb 19th 1917 'who provided an enjoyable concert'. The Matron is probably in the picture and possibly the same lady with the brimmed hat as per the OP photo. There are more pictures of officers, boys and clergy on the first link I put up. Has anyone found/looked at them yet? link; https://www.barnsleybenefice.org/photos/gallery.php?gallery_id=4&pg=1#

Edited by Bob Davies

My goodness. Thank you all for your information on this card. I will catch up on it later tonight.

@charlie962 Would I need to repost the card to give it a thread of its own? Start a new thread so to speak.

Margaret

13 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Click on the three dots top right of your original post and report yourself to the mods asking them to move that post and the subsequent related posts to a new thread. I hope it is not too complicated for the mods. There are a couple of posts not related. 

Charlie

What topic should I put it under?

Margaret