Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transcribing a document and need opinions on handwritten notes

the_ageing_young_rebel

Cecil Frederick Holland was commissioned 1/9/15 1/4 Glos Regt - formerly No 2643 1/4 Glos Regt. Military Cross with bar. Struck off Strength 22/04/1917.

After the war his medals were sent to St Agnes Vicarage, Kennington Park, London

MC Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry in action. After reconnoitring the enemy trench he led forward his platoon with great dash. Although wounded he did fine work repelling bombing attacks. (Gazetted 22/9/16)

Bar to MC Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry arid devotion to duty. He organised a party and succeeded in capturing an enemy machine-gun, clearing the enemy out of their position, thereby enabling his company to advance. He was severely wounded. (Gazetted 25/5/17)

57 minutes ago, Promenade said:

Cecil Frederick Holland was commissioned 1/9/15 1/4 Glos Regt - formerly No 2643 1/4 Glos Regt. Military Cross with bar. Struck off Strength 22/04/1917.

After the war his medals were sent to St Agnes Vicarage, Kennington Park, London

MC Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry in action. After reconnoitring the enemy trench he led forward his platoon with great dash. Although wounded he did fine work repelling bombing attacks. (Gazetted 22/9/16)

Thanks Promenade. This diary entry which mentions Holland several times was from about 11 months before he won his MC. But he's definatley described in a vivid and daring way:

(the context for this is that the author E.E Wookey has been in the front line here for a while and has done several patrols discovering an abandoned German trench, and a hedge that leads up to the English trenches where a German patrol was encountered)

Sunday – October 10th 1915 

An uneventful day. Work proceeded well in the Brickfields and Louvois is now assuming a quite respectable appearance. We have looted a ration box and used it for an ammunition recess containing mark you a full box of ammunition + apparently unopened. This gives a tone to the whole thing. Progress on the parapet of the Brickfields communication trench also very good + hurdles have been run up for 2/3 of the distance.

The Brigadier came round in the afternoon, attended by not a single satellite. I was on duty and he talked a lot about many things, from bombs and capturing prisoners to the proper way to use the new braziers for cooking. Told him I was going on patrol that night in reply to a question. This means I must do something. During evening make preparations for patrol. Scheme is a very comprehensive one and comprises three patrols, one in centre under Clarke to reoccupy hedge and lie in wait (a man catching expedition to be brief) a reconnoitring patrol on right to survey the advanced German trench throughout its length under myself and one on the left under Holland whom I have decided to invite to the party. Holland is the very prince of dare devils and he has previously located a German listening post on the left. I anticipate an exciting evening. Heaps of volunteers are secured, and the first part of the programme is carried out as arranged. Clark goes out at 6.0pm at stand to and occupies hedge with 5 men. They are to be visited by me at 8.15 when they will report + return whilst my patrol goes on. Holland arrives from the “Keep” about 7.15pm and we have dinner. He expressed a wish to visit the disused German trench and we decide to join forces. We leave Sap M at 8.15 with Lt Browning, 2 grenadiers ___ + Ryan, Pte Radford and 2 lance corporals of D coy brought by Holland, a perty of 8 men all told. We picked up Clark who had nothing to report + then leaving them pushed on down the hedge to the wall running from the Two Lone Trees to point 862 on the trench maps. We crossed it but then retraced our steps and leaving the road proceeded due south. We were obliged in one place to cut a way through a wire fence in order to keep direction. This wire fence appears to enclose a square area something like a very large cricket pitch. Reaching a point some 200 yds from the “16 Poplars” we turned East and struck the disused trench about 150 yds from the Poplars. We then explored it thoroughly to the North. The impression that it had been dig in emergency + hurriedly, and occupied for only a short time was confirmed. At the north end we came upon some wire which at first sight appeared to be a fence. We soon found that it was a part of the German barbed wire entanglement in the region of point 862. There appears to be a salient in the enemy line here, and also a sap which would account for our meeting it so unexpectedly. We lay down + listened. The enemy could be distinctly heard walking along the floor boards of their trenches and occasionally speaking. Unfortunately none of us understand German. Holland +  then cautiously proceed round one side of what appears to be an advanced sap. We uprooted a couple a large stakes which had not yet been wired and took them back to the others. We then waited for a quarry to appear. After almost 20 minutes we heard a wiring party coming out and then I distinctly made out a man coming out towards us in front of the party. Waiting till they came a little closer we then practically simultaneously threw what I thought at the time to be 4 bombs but which I afterwards discovers to be 7 bombs. The explosion was rather less than I anticipated, as most of us were using Mills “cricket ball” grenades (better termed “lemon bombs). Personally I threw a “light friction” bomb (mark VI) and found that the igniter emitted a trail of sparks which is apt to give ones position away. Still its and exceedingly handy bomb. Having thrown the bombs we returned somewhat rapidly. Stopping about 300 yards away we missed Holland but he soon turned up. He had waited to try and ascertain  the damage but was unable to do so. I was now in the mood for returning to a wall earned repose. Not so Holland however, who appeared to have the lust of slaughter fully aroused. He suggested bombing the listening post on the left, a proposal which I rather doughtfully consented to, common sense nagging me to return to the comforts of the mess dug out. Having come to a decision we skirted our own trenches passing between the hedge and out wire and made for the “2 lone trees”. While we were doing this the Bosches apparently woke up and threw 4 large bombs at intervals somewhere near where we had been, a proceeding which caused us great amusement. We had evidently “put the wind up” them, which was something. Here we crossed the road and proceeded in the direction of point 43. The first 100x was covered at a walk, the next 100 bent nearly double, thereafter we crawled on hand + knees. Exercising greater caution every minute. It was “stalking” of a high order. As we got nearer we could hear the listening post whispering occasionally, but I am bound to say that I think they made less noise than our own men do. We could also hear a working party very heavily on the right. Our progress became slower and slower. Holland and I were ahead in front about 5 yards apart, the others in two lines behind. A man behind Holland (I think a lt from D Coy, but won’t be sure) was quite the clumsiest fellow I have seen. Every minute we thought he would give us away, and he was unfortunately too far back to speak to without risking discovery. We had to make the best of it. We crawled on until we heard excited whispering from the listening post. We had been spotted. Then a voice said “Halte”! We waited for no more but immediately threw 3 mills grenades in the direction of the voice. I had some difficulty in withdrawing my pin and only just got the bomb off in time. The explosion was much more violent than the previous one. Some of the others are positive that they heard a cry following the explosion, I cannot say I did but it may well have been so as the bombs must have gone close to their mark. We retired as before and collected at the “two lone trees.” About half a dozen very wide shots were fired from the German side during the retirement. We returned to M sap without incident, and found an expectant crowd who wished to know how many Germans had been killed. Holland + I adjourned with Slade to the mess to write an a/c of the proceedings for the co’s consumption.

The night passed quietly. 

Edited by the_ageing_young_rebel

14 hours ago, Promenade said:

You probably have this: -

I did'nt already have that, so thanks! I've only just started researching him really. I began reading his diary to learn more about a relation of mine, but find myself getting more and more interested in him. I know there is a collection of his photographs at the Imperial War Mueseum that I will have to go and see one day. This is the first photo of him I've seen (other than one where he is wearing a gas mask and his face can't be seen)

Thanks again!