Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transcribing a document and need opinions on handwritten notes

the_ageing_young_rebel

Hi All

I have a digital copy of a handwritten diary kept by an officer of the 1/4th gloucestershire reg that was sent to me many years ago. I'm going through it and making a transcription to help me read it more quickly and create a searchable document. I was hoping to get opinions on what this line may say though as I can't quite make out the handwritting. So far I have this "The M.O has discovered what he thinks to be an evidence of _____ in a mild form in C coy. Whole coy have temp taken. Probably all nonsense. Makes coy very weak for trenches." I have put words in red if I'm not 100% sure about them, but what did C coy have?

Thanks for any help!

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 12.22.37.png

not evidence, but "epidemic of enterie" in my opinion.

"enteric" maybe?? With a "c" ... as in enteric fever?? or enteric problems in general?? 

Thanks so much! I'd never heard on enteric until I just googled it. I think you may both be correct!

Here is another though; who is this Major General? 

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 12.46.06.png

I'd think the MO would have to report even suspected cases of every ailment going.

Perhaps there's something in the 48th Division ADMS diary, may not be nonsense.

TEW

Fanshawe! Thanks again team. You're really on a roll, so here is another:

What I have is " Leave trench XV on this show about 12.15am with great ______ of _______. After proceeding about 200x however we halt and proceed to listen violently. Two working parties are heard, nothing else "

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 13.27.30.png

4 minutes ago, Keith Brannen said:

"blowing of trumpet"? and "violently"

Thanks, that was my thought as well. I just couldn't quite imagine how to listen violently

4 minutes ago, the_ageing_young_rebel said:

Thanks, that was my thought as well. I just couldn't quite imagine how to listen violently

Yes, should have been intently. And it is "trumpets" (missed the s at the end in above post).

And here is another mystery one for me. So far I have this for this day:

"Sunday – October 3rd

Another quiet day. Made an ____ over breakfast + now have it before turning in. Much better too. They put over some shells very close to the Chateau about 9.0 o’clock, but am told I slept through it all. Did a little ___ after tea, Excavated a cavity for clock and put a dressing of ___ resin in. Hope to put in some cement later."

I assume he's talking about a grandfather clock that was mentioned a few days previously, but I'm not sure I understand the jist of this day

Thanks in advance

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 16.00.39.png

• Admin

Did a little dentistry, dressing of carbolised resin. 

made an alteration? over breakfast

and it may be "Excavated a cavity for" Clark, not clock (see the difference between the word and the way o'clock is written).

Edited by Keith Brannen

11 minutes ago, Ilbury Welsh said:

The soldier with the bad tooth could be Mr Clack, it is a known surname. John

That's true enough, but on balance, the penultimate letter of the surname looks more like the 'r' in 'later' , 'alteration' and 'dentistry', rather than a 'c' as in 'clock', 'cavity' and 'close'.

That makes sence, this officer had a career as a dental surgeon after the war. Thanks as always everybody!

Ok, you've all proved very useful with this and obviously much better at reading handwritting than me. But here is a tough one. What does the ammunition recess contain?

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 13.49.07.png

"...containing
mark you, a box full box of ammunition & apparently
unopened..."

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

"We have looted a ration box and used it for our ammunition recess containing mark you a XXX full box of ammunition and apparently unopened. This gives a tone to the whole thing "

Martin

Ok, that was obviosuly too easy for the old sweats on the group (thanks again). But is "Holland really the Prince of those Devils" or something else entirely?

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 14.02.38.png

I suspect "Holland is the very prince of dare devils"

Steve

1 minute ago, SteveE said:

I suspect "Holland is the very prince of dare devils"

Steve

Of course! Thanks