Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Rowles 1866-1928. Did he serve in the Boer War. Help needed.

stuart rowles

This is everything I have on him:

Edward Rowles was born on Sunday, 28th October 1866 in Dublin, Ireland, the son of Henry &
Frances (Fanny) Rowles (née McDonald), a ‘Tailor’ of Fishamble, South Dublin.

He enlisted in the Welsh Regiment on 23rd August 1887 in Dublin. He gave his age as 19 years and 10 months and his occupation as a ‘Compositor’. He gave his address as 12 Fishamble Street, Dublin. He was given the number 2053. He deserted at Cardiff on 1st September 1887.
He rejoined on 13th March 1888 and served until 5th April 1888. His trial for desertion was abandoned and he was discharged on medical grounds on 19th April 1888.

He married Julia McKenna on 22nd February 1903 at St. Peter’s R.C. Church, Drogheda, Ireland.
Julia died on 13th March 1947 at Drogheda, age 84. They had no children.

He enlisted on 8th October 1915 in London, giving his occupation as ‘Goods Porter’. See Tree.
He was given the regimental number 1349 and based at Deal, Kent with the Royal Marine Divisional Engineers. He gave his address as 165 Edleston Road, Crewe.

He was sent to Calais on 26th October 1915, and was discharged on 9th January 1920.
The Labour Corps was actually The Royal Marine Labour Corps (RMLC) and was created on
2nd February 1917 being made up of men too old for front line duties; usually over 41 years of age. Most of these men had experience of the working of a port. They were responsible for the unloading of stores.

Edward received a War Pension for the rest of his life as he suffered from Rheumatism and Bronchitis as a result of his service.

He died on Tuesday, 7th February 1928 at Drogheda, Ireland, age 61.

THEN TODAY I FOUND THIS ARTICLE

FUNERAL IN DROGHEDA On Sunday afternoon last a military funeral took place from St. Peter's Church to the Chord Cemetery, Drogheda, when the remains of the late Edward Rowles, Georges St. were borne to their last resting place, when all the available ex-servicemen of Drogheda, young and old who served in the great war and the Boer war turned out to pay their last tribute to a respected and revered ex-serviceman. The late Mr. Rowles served in the Fourth Royal Irish Dragoon Guards and fought in the Boer war and retired from the Army with well won military honours in 1907, but on the outbreak of the great war against Germany he promptly volunteered again for active service in 1915 and served with the Royal Marines from the 8th October of that year, to the 9th January 1920, when
he was discharged with many honours, including five medals. He also served for a short period in the National Army (Free State). For the past two months he had been in ailing health and passed away
on Friday night last. The remains were borne to St. Peter's Church on Saturday night, and amidst manifestations of regret the funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, as stated. Rev. Father Lavelle. C.C. officiated at the graveside, and the chief mourners were Mrs. Rowles, widow of the deceased; Henry Rowles. brother: Jas. Goldrick and Mr. Reid, Dublin (brothers-in-law) Mrs. Delaney and Mrs. Goldrick. sisters; Miss Rowles and Miss Reid, nieces. The "Last Post" was sounded at the graveside.

I can't find any paperwork relating to the Boer War with his name on it. Am I looking in the wrong place.

HELP NEEDED PLEASE.

STUART

A man of that name served in the Imperial Yeomanry during the Boer War.
Rowles, Edward    38578, Private    176th Coy., 29th Bn. I.Y.

It could well be the case the IY records have been digitised and made available via FMP?

I had seen that entry but he was a casualty I think.

STUART

14 hours ago, stuart rowles said:

I had seen that entry but he was a casualty I think.

STUART

It maybe  but it at least confirms that he served in the Boer war.

Allan

Yes, I have checked and this particular Rowles died so it can't be him.

I cannot find another entry that looks likely.

The implication is that the service record for 38578 should be available via FMP
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2181680

It is peculiar that there is not much more detail from the secondary source "Anglo Boer War Records 1899-1902" as I would have expected any information on a soldier being a casualty to be recorded here.

These are the E. Rowles on the Medal Roll for the Boer War -

If he was discharged Medically Unfit in 1888, it may be that he enlisted under another name. Another thought:- The newspaper article states that he took his discharge in 1907, he was married in 1903 - Perhaps his Marriage Certificate might provide further clues?

38578 Pte E. Rowles, IY.

4525 Pte E. Rowles, Somerset Light Infantry.

113 Driver E. Rowles, Diamond Fields Artillery.

9965 L/Cpl E. Rowles, KRRC. 

6944 Pte E. Rowles, KRRC.

Cheers
RC

OK, I have just confirmed it.

38578 Pte Edward Rowles, Imperial Yeomanry is your man. 

I found his Imperial Yeomanry records which gives his service in the Royal Marine Labour Corps etc. Here is an excerpt:-

265622882_ScreenShot2022-07-05at10_18_00pm.png.b822650ac476ff4acd5080342a45ddcf.png

357391779_ScreenShot2022-07-05at10_11_31pm.png.b7f4ddc6f16e61ef861b4f96766552e9.png

283733655_ScreenShot2022-07-05at10_15_22pm.png.ce772a79b5da4ed9f0f4e217ebaad1bc.png

Kind regards
RC

Edited by RedCoat

@RedCoat

20 minutes ago, RedCoat said:

I found his Imperial Yeomanry records

Just out of interest, where did you find this record? I can't find anything on Ancestry or FMP

Search the Military section on Ancestry for "Rowles" + "38578".

The record will show under the Imperial Yeomanry set.

Cheers
RC

Edited by RedCoat

Thank you RC -- I haven't come across the IY database before, need to keep this in mind for my future searches.

Cheers

Allan

Wow! RedCoat you are a genius.

Can't thank you enough. You can't argue with that paperwork.

All that is left for me to find our about now is the 5 medals that are awarded to him.

We know he was awarded a 1914-15 star trio and the next one must be the Queen's South Africa Medal.

Did he also get the Kings South Africa Medal do you think, or could it be some other medal.

It's so exciting finding all this after tripping over his obituary a few days ago.

STUART

This pension card at WFA/Fold3 may be of interest. [they had it indexed under Border Regiment !???]

Edward ROWLES, 38578, 29th Imperial Yeomanry plus what appears to me to be A221302 and also 3347, Dragoon Guards

Mimage.png.d3ea5c884d6d8193d51513ebb89d9cbf.png

A claim from MoP Region 13 [Ireland} 

The N is a bit strange as usually that would be an R to suit his surname - I'm now going to check under Nowles, just in case!

M

Edit: Couldn't find anything under 'Nowles' at pensions but did find him on the Anglo Boer War site - https://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search 

ROWLES, 38578, 176 Coy, 29th Bn, IY  - QSA Roll.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Thanks for that card. Very interesting.

Surely the 5th medal has to be the Kings South Africa doesn't it.

38 minutes ago, stuart rowles said:

Thanks for that card. Very interesting.

Surely the 5th medal has to be the Kings South Africa doesn't it.

Would have thought so, you might have to dig a bit to see what bars he had on the kings and queens - there are loads!

I have just found his Queens South Africa Medal listed as having 2 bars; Cape Colony & South Africa 1902.

Couldn't find anything for the Kings South Africa Medal if indeed this is the 5th medal.

I suppose it could be something else as his Queens has the bar South Africa 1902. I don't know.

STUART

6 hours ago, RedCoat said:

283733655_ScreenShot2022-07-05at10_15_22pm.png.ce772a79b5da4ed9f0f4e217ebaad1bc.png

21 minutes ago, stuart rowles said:

Couldn't find anything for the Kings South Africa Medal if indeed this is the 5th medal.

22y 27d = What about Long Service?  Surely. ??  Certainly seems a possibility.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
qualify

Eighteen years unblemished service with the colours would be needed for LSGC. 

I did suspect he may not have enough service for a KSA, and would get a 1902 bar for his QSA instead. I am at a loss as to what the fifth medal could be.

Really good that his Royal Dragoons service number is on the WFA pension card. I have seen this for other Boer War veterans with pension cards who re-enlisted during WW1. 

Maybe the 5th medal is something like the Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Medal or similar?

The 4th Dragoon Guards don't seem to have gone overseas between his period of service 20.11.1888 to 30.06.1894.

Here is his service abreviated. Can anyone suggest what the 5th medal could have been awarded. Any help much appreciated.

Could he have been awarded a medal for the short time he served in the National Army (Free State) as mentioned in his obituary? Or is it a jubilee/coronation medal.

20.11.1888 to 30.06.1894    4th Irish Dragoon Guards    No. 38578    Private
01.07.1894 to 17.01.1900    Army Reserve
18.01.1900 to 19.11.1901    4th Irish Dragoon Guards    No. 38578    Private
04.01.1902 to 28.10.1902    Imperial Yeomanry        No. 38578    Private
(Irish Horse), 176th Company, 29th Battalion
08.12.1903 to 07.1907    Army Reserve     No. 38578

I would have thought the Long Service Good Conduct medal would be more likely, a plain dark red ribbon

• 1 year later...

Looking again at the dates Edward was serving in South Africa (4.1.1902 to 28.10.1902) would he have qualified for the Kings South Africa Medal.

Is there a Medal Roll available that I could look at? Maybe this is the unknown fifth medal.

Regards STUART

There is a Boer War forum that may be able to assist you with your Boer War related question, if a google search is unable to answer your question.