Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Current location of Wallasey Grammar School Memorials?

michaelpcoyle

Nick, many thanks, this is excellent stuff.  Well done for lodging it securely in the Liddle Collection.

On 26/02/2024 at 21:39, Charles Fair said:

Hello Nick, thanks for your message, I am still collecting information. I have data from Bradford GS of 1,063 served of which 397 commissioned (i.e. 37.3%). This proportion is typical of a city grammar school.  Does this concur with your statistics?

I would love to see Hartley's exercise book please.  I visited the Liddle Collection 2 or 3 times in 2018/19 and copied everything of relevance,  You must have deposited it since then.  Probably lower middle class, but that also depends on his father's occupation. The boundaries are flexible and there was a lot of upwards mobility.  Was his father a mill owner or a miner?  I wonder if he was a scholar for which the school was in receipt of a grant under the 1907 Education Act?

Professor Honey has Bradford Grammar in his sixth group of schools that he considered to be on the fringes of the public school world in 1902, largely based on the factors you mention.

Hi Charles,

I'm familiar with this figure although I can't put my finger on where it came from.

The figures cited in the school magazine (The Bradfordian) are less precise but differ from the figure you have:

November 1917 - 966 serving, about 400 commissioned. =41%

March 1918 - 1006 serving, estimated 450 commissioned. = 44.7%

July 1918 - 1040 approximately serving ... 500 hold commissions approximately.

Nov 1918 - 1100 known to be serving [no figure for commissions]

The two 20th century historians of the School give the same figure: 'some 1,150 men served. 445 of these were officers.' (A.E. Busby 1969, p.116; Tony Moxon, 1999, p.188) Neither explained where they got this figure from - it is not found in The Bradfordian. = 38.7%

I have identified 1079 men in the armed forces and 476 of them held commissions at some point (counting RN Surgeons as officers, excluding a few OCB cadets in closing stages of 1918). = 44%

As a proportion of those who served in uniform and died, 50% is the approximate figure, but I need to update this to include some recent discovereis.

Hope this helps,

Nick.