Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. Odin

John F

HI I have attached a picture of HMS Clio that my grandfather served on. She was the sister ship of Hms Odin,Cadmus, Merlin, Fantom and Espiegle.

She was a Sloop armed with 6 , 4inch 25 pounders & 4, 3 pounders with 2 or 3 machine guns, Hms Odin was built at Sheerness dockyard and launched 30 November 1901, she was sold in Bombay in 1920.

She had a displacement of 1070 tons and a crew compliment of 121 souls, she had an indicated power of 1400 HP which gave her a speed of 13 knots. she had 2 boilers (usually babcock) and a bunkerage of 195 - 220 tons of coal.

She was designed by William White and classed as the Cadmus class she was constructed of copper-sheathed steel. Propulsion was provided by a three-cylinder vertical triple expansion steam engine driving twin screws, these sloops were a development of the Condor Class sloop. The Espiegle was the last Royal Navy ship built with a figurehead.

This class of sloop was fitted with a barquentine-rigged sailplan, but after HMS Condor was lost in a gale in 1901 the Admiralty abandoned sails entirely. the rest of the sloops had their sails removed before 1914.

The cost of construction of the Clio was £80,796 and HMS Cadmus £76,657.

Endurance was in the region of 4,000 nautical miles.

I hope this helps fill in some detail for youpost-87182-0-63536700-1327508492.jpg

regards Graham

• 5 years later...

Have to say that this has been an interesting thread for me as I have been researching a crew member, a Private in the Royal Marines (Light Infantry has been added) on the 1911 census (2nd April 1911 @ midnight). Odin was at the bar of Shatt al arab, dividing Ottoman from Persian Empire. My man was Denis Mulley. Your man was not on the census for that date. 

Re: the post of CLIO above and Sadsac's post #25 for the gazetting of the DSO to CLIO's Edgar Cookson; Cookson transferred from CLIO to COMET and was killed at the relief of Kut El Amarna, 28 Sep 1915, in an action for which he was awarded the VC. There are related posts elsewhere on the forum.