Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. Odin

John F

Can anyone please tell me happenend to HMS Odin. I have a trio & plaque to a sailor who died 04/06/1917 & would like to try & find more out.

Hello

A.B. Diffey died from illness while serving in ODIN on 4 Jun 17.

don

HMS Odin was one of the first RN ships active in southern mesopotamia in 1914. The Official History says that in August 1914....

"The Odin and the Lawrence were then the only two British Government vessels in the Persian Gulf and though the Lawrence was awooden paddle vessel with few small guns, the Odin was quite capable of dealing with the Marmariss"

The Marmariss was a turkish gunboat. The Odin was armed with 6 x 4" breech loaders and 4 x 3pdr quick firing guns.

On 10th Sept 1914 the Odin was ordered to patrol the Shatt-al-Arab (arriving 16th)with orders to stop the Turks attacking the British oil refinery at Abadan. She was joined there by sister ship Espiegle amid rumours that the Emden was en route.

Odin was still in the region when Indian Expeditionary Force D arrived in November, and provided naval cover to the landings and early operations in the Basra / Abadan area, including the action at Saihan on 17.11.14

She damaged her rudder on 25th Nov in shallow water at Qurna

I can try to track her movements beyond this if this is the type of thing you want to know.

Nick

Nick,

If you have the time to do it I am interested in learning about the rest of HMS Odin's activities, particularly with regard to actions and damage.

Thanks

David

Another of HMS Odin's claims to fame came on March 5, 1917, when the German auxiliary raider Iltis scuttled near Aden when challenged by Odin. Iltis was the British steamer Turritella, which was stopped by SMS Wolf and very modestly armed and fitted with 25 mines to lay off Aden. The Turritella had been captured on February 27, 1917.

In works on German surface raiders, Wolf deservedly gets a fair amount of attention and the Itlis/Turritella element usually comes up. What's missed though is that Odin stopped Itlis only after she got at least some of her mines out -- two British steamers were later damaged by these mines.

Best wishes,

Michael

Found this too, but can't recall the source (slap hand)

TIGRIS RIVERBOATS

CADMUS, CLIO, ESPIEGLE, ODIN (1900-03). 1070 tons. Complement, 121-112. Guns: 6 - 4 inch 4 - 3 pdr. (Espiegle and Odin 4 - 4 inch only), 2 or 3 M.G.

I.H.P. 1400=13a kts. Boilers first two, Niclausse; ether two, Babcock. Coal: 195-225 tons.

The 4x4" runs contradictory to my earlier post. I can't confirm which one is right.

:unsure:

I don't have much more to add really.

After damaging her rudder the Odin was apparently withdrawn to India for repairs, but she was back very quickly.

In March 1915 the Odin was again in action near Qurna. According to MacMunn and Falls:

“The Turks were holding most or all of the sandhill islands to the north [of Qurna] and on some of them were mounting guns. On the 19th March their artillery opened fire from Gun Hill, and the gunboat Marmariss was seen to be underway near Peardrop Bend. HMS Odin at once moved up the river to engage her, but the Marmariss did not come down below the Ruta obstruction. The Turkish action was so suspicious that the Odin advanced with caution, until a large observation mine exploding just ahead of her showed clearly that the Marmariss was only trying to draw the Odin over a minefield”

A month later the ship was again in action near the same point, again acting in company with sister ship Espiegle and other vessels forming the “Euphrates Blockade Flotilla”. On the 14th they pursued escaping Turkish boats, destroying eight and capturing four vessels the official history calls “mahailas”. The main danger facing the vessel seems to have been floating mines which the Turks sent down river.

After this, she provided support to Townsend’s soldiers at the second action of Qurna on 31st May, shelling Turkish positions and then …

“preceded by the mine-sweeping armed launches Shaitan and Sumana, the Espiegle and Clio now moved up and anchored off Norfolk Hill to join in the bombardment of One Tower hill, and the Odin, Lawrence and Miner also moved up in support. These warships continued to be the main target for the Turkish guns and both the Espiegle and Odin were hit by shells, without, however, sustaining much damage or loss”

On the first of June the Odin, along with other vessels of the flotilla, engaged Turkish gunboats, firing on the Mosul and the Marmariss. The Turkish vessels cast off some smaller vessels that were being towed, and these were picked up by the Odin.

The Marmariss was captured (or sunk) the next day, by other vessels of the Flotilla, including the Espiegle which, being the flagship of the flotilla, seems to have always got the plum jobs whilst the Odin got the less glamourous ones!

The Official History then reads: “General Nixon pointed out…that he could not speak too highly of the part played by the officers and men of the royal navy under the command of captain Nunn”

After accompanying the troops to Amara the flotilla withdrew downstream and there is no further mention of the Odin. I do not have any information on what happened to it after June 1915.

Hope that helps.

Nick

• 2 years later...
Hello

A.B. Diffey died from illness while serving in ODIN on 4 Jun 17.

don

Dear kin47

My great grandfathers younger brother was Sidney George Diffey born 14th of september 1887 and was died on 4th of june 1917. He saved an other man's live during a battle against the turkish in Mesopotamia.

Im in contact with the son of the man who survived.

Do you know more about Sidney George? I would be very grateful for an answer as I am very interestet in the happenings! (Sorry my english, but I'm Swiss...)

Can anyone please tell me happenend to HMS Odin. I have a trio & plaque to a sailor who died 04/06/1917 & would like to try & find more out.

Dear John F

I just bought a Plaque and trio of a medal dealer in England. They belonged to my great grandfathers younger brother Sidney George Diffey born 14th of september 1887 and died on 4th of june 1917. He saved an other man's live during a battle against the turkish in Mesopotamia.

Im in contact with the son of the man who survived.

Would be interested, if these were the medals you had, or if they are from someone different.

His service register can be downloaded online or at kew for free.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=15

Name Diffey, Sidney George

Official Number: SS1201

Place of Birth: Chale Isle of Wight

Date of Birth: 14 September 1887

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!!

I tried to download the PDF file, but you have to pay for it. And as I'm living in Switzerland it is to expensive for my to pay all the charges that will follow a payment from Switzerland....

How do you mean: at KEW for free????

Have a nice day!

If you are able to go to the National Archives (or some kind soul does a look up) the record is free to download there, you just pay a copy charge of a few centimes.

If you are able to go to the National Archives (or some kind soul does a look up) the record is free to download there, you just pay a copy charge of a few centimes.

Thanks a lot! I didn't know there are such possibilities!

I'm very interested, so I may even pay the fees to get the donload to Switzerland.... Because we do not have any relatives near London but on the Isle of wight. I'm not quite sure if they'll do that for me....

Do I understand right, that you'll see in the form they'll send to me, when Sidney George Diffey was

serving on HMS Odin and on other ships?

Thanks for the time you are taking to answer my silly questions!!

Only by asking will you find the answers.

If you look at the thread on Benjamin Cooksley SS 116506, you will be able to download an example of the records. You will see all the ships, with dates, he served on and other remarks.

Only by asking will you find the answers.

If you look at the thread on Benjamin Cooksley SS 116506, you will be able to download an example of the records. You will see all the ships, with dates, he served on and other remarks.

Great! It would be very interesting to find out when and where Sidney George Diffey served during the war!

Thanks a lot for your help!

I just downloaded the file in PDF.....

It's very interesting to see on which ships he served during tje WW1. I will be doing some more research on the net about the ships.

But I don't understand, the remark under "If Discharged: Withor, and for what cause" As I can read it says: shore SS before d.

What does that mean?

And then there are other remarks on the right side at the bottom that I can't read. May anyone be able to?

Thanks a lot!

I tried to upload the Word document. I hope it worked!

Sidney_George_Diffey.doc

Interestingly he seems to have served aboard both Cressy and Hawke before the war. Both were sunk by the submarine U9 within days of each other in 1914.

cheers Martin B

• 7 months later...

The last remark appears to be d[ischarged] d[ead] - June 1917 pulmonary haemorrhage. That sounds like tuberculosis to me. Quite common in the Royal Navy given the cramped conditions.

The earlier discharge in 1910 was to "shore" on transfer to the Royal Fleet Reserve, after serving his initial 5 year enlistment.

Hello Diffey, one of 4 re your ODIN ;

PALMER Edwin M N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 81K016 Odin

C in C East Indies N/E Recommendation

Attack on destroyers and German Minelayer N/E

Acted with much judgement and perspicacity in following and detecting a British Steamship which had been captured by a German Raider and fitted out as a minelayer.

The German Prize Crew sank the ship and were taken captive by the Odin.

Their Lordships' appreciation expressed.

Regards Sadsac

• 5 weeks later...

Dear Michael Johnson

thanks for your information!

It seems strange to me, that Sidney died on tuberculosis.

The story of his death was told to me (through Mr. A.B. Herbert James Spring's Son) as follows: "A.B. Sidney George Diffey R.F.R. and A.B. Herbert James Spring (and of course several others) served on H.M.S. Odin and were ashore fighting hand to hand against the Turks in Mesopotamia during June 1917. Whilst the fighting was taking place Sidney George was near to my father when a turkish soldier came over the top of a nearby sand-dune and pointed his rifle towards my father who at that moment was pushed away by Sidney George who was then fatally wounded by the bullet intended for my father."

So why did he then die on tuberculosis?

Greetings

John, Nick, David, Award re ODIN - have more similar if you wish ;

LILLEY Reginald h N/E S/Lt. RN 81L013 Odin

Senior Naval Officer, Persian Gulf (Captain Nunn) 13.09.15 Gazetted

Qurnah advance & Occupation of Amara end of May & start June 1915 DSC

Was in command of river stern whaler "Shushan" in flank demonstration at the beginning of the advance. At Amara he was sent with two men to secure a small steam tug which had been left with steam up with a large lighter alongside her, in order to ship as many Turkish prisoners away as possible. He performed this difficult and dangerous work excellently, loading the lighter with nearly 80 officers and 800 men, many of whom he had to disarm with his two men.

Regards Sadsac

John, Nick, David - two Awards for CLIO in Middle East Waters ;

COOKSON Edgar C N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 81L010 Clio

Senior Naval Officer, Persian Gulf 13.09.15 Gazetted

Area Basra 30.04.15 to 15.05.15 DSO

On May 9th in River Steamer Shushan carried out examination and reconnaissance of El Hair creek, encountering considerable opposition from Arabs who kept under cover among the high reeds. Lt.Commander Cookson though severely wounded early in the action, resumed command after his wound had been temporarily dressed and succeeded in most ably extricating his vessel from a dangerous position under heavy rifle fire.

MACKENZIE Colin DSO Cdr. RN 81L011 Clio

Senior Naval Officer, Persian Gulf (Captain Nunn) 13.09.15 Gazetted

Qurnah advance & Occupation of Amara end of May & start June 1915

Specially promoted to Captain

Gave Senior Naval Officer very great assistance throughout the operations.

Sadsac