Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a VAD uniform? Clutching at straws here ....

monkstown

On 30/05/2022 at 12:30, monkstown said:

This is a photo of Winifred M Letts - is she by any chance in her VAD (or even masseuse, though I doubt it) uniform here?

Many thanks

Winifred M Letts on same page as wedding or honeymoon photo in May's diary.jpg

I am still thinking about the date (and location) of this photo - I see an ad in the Derbyshire Times - Saturday 27 October 1906 saying the Weekly Dispatch is available everywhere so maybe there were regional variations?

Edited by monkstown

Another little bit of detective work here .... this photo is in a diary on the same page as a honeymoon photo (May 1926). I think Letts is wearing a ring on her left hand 'ring finger' in this photo. I have just realised that British Newspaper Archive is missing two issues of the May 1926 editions - 9th May and 16th May, which would be the weekend preceding Whitsun that year.  Is there anywhere else I might find a copy of the 16th May 1926 Weekly Dispatch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Latest bit of news - the British Library has confirmed that the Weekly Dispatch was not published on 9th May 1926, nor on 16th May 1926 - presumably due to the General Strike. However, as well as the late London edition, which is what's on the BNA website, there would have been earlier (in the day) editions and also a Manchester edition so I think I will have to lay this query aside as 'unsolvable'.:huh: