Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a VAD uniform? Clutching at straws here ....

monkstown

This is a photo of Winifred M Letts - is she by any chance in her VAD (or even masseuse, though I doubt it) uniform here?

Many thanks

Winifred M Letts on same page as wedding or honeymoon photo in May's diary.jpg

Not VAD. Might be masseuse? Those look like trousers.

Thanks seaJane - that hadn't struck me that they might be trousers?

I think her armlet (left arm) should just about have been visible.  See example below.

48438EC7-D8BF-48F0-8ADA-F01177060944.jpeg

6DAC16D6-660A-41A6-B3B1-E2C0C6D86E9E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks again - I wondered about the dark belt too. Has the ornamentation/embroidery/whatever on her right shoulder any significance? Such a pity too that I can't identify the paper and its date - Weekly .... with a headline of Whitsun Holidays ....

17 hours ago, monkstown said:

Thanks again - I wondered about the dark belt too. Has the ornamentation/embroidery/whatever on her right shoulder any significance? Such a pity too that I can't identify the paper and its date - Weekly .... with a headline of Whitsun Holidays ....

Apparently the Senior masseuses of the APMC wore red strips on both shoulders so I don’t think your lady matches that.  The dark belt also doesn’t seem right according to the surviving photos of the APMC.  On balance I don’t think your lady is wearing a uniform at all.

Thanks Frogsmile - possibly not, although the image of the newspaper ad you posted on my other query advertises 'black patent leather belt to wear with overall'?

Edited by monkstown

18 hours ago, monkstown said:

Thanks Frogsmile - possibly not, although the image of the newspaper ad you posted on my other query advertises 'black patent leather belt to wear with overall'?

Was that for APMC masseuses though?  There’s nothing about the rest of her dress to suggest a nurse, and she’s not dressed as a domestic either.

Edited by FROGSMILE

No - the ad doesn't clarify who/what the patent belt was for.  The background does look for an institutional building however, but then maybe she was on a day off and had time to read the paper

Edited by monkstown

1 hour ago, monkstown said:

No - the ad doesn't clarify who/what the patent belt was for.  The background does look for an institutional building however, but then maybe she was on a day off and had time to read the paper

I think that the advert was relating to administrative (non nursing staff) reading between the lines, as the lady depicted is dressed in a long dark shift dress and dark cap, all very different to the nurses outfit pictured above it. 

Ah thank you.

I checked newspaper archives last night and feel sure the paper she holds is the 'Weekly Dispatch' of London.

The typeface for Weekly D...... fits well.

I searched that paper for 'whitsun holidays' 1915-20 with no success. Perhaps the collection is missing some editions or poor transcriptions?

You could ID Whitsun dates for the War years and browse the paper for 3 ish editions before and after and repeat for the next year.

If a date for the photo would help?

TEW

Thanks TEW Dispatch sounds good - yes, if I could find a date I would be able to link it to her possible location...

Have now looked at May and June front pages (I presume the paper title in big font  is only on the front page) 1916-1920 without success but I'll keep looking... 

Edited by monkstown

I've just looked through 1914 -1921 and about 3 weeks either side of Whitsun with no luck.

This is the title with the same advert

Clipboard01.jpg.e0d433dacf5aa531fbee0210f180cbd5.jpg

TEW

Thank you - were there regional variations of the Dispatch? I only see London on BNA. If she were working I'd expect her to be in Manchester or Alnwick but she did give a Sydenham address for an ISTM entry in June 1017.

Great minds think alike. The newspaper struck me as your best bet as well   do you have a better quality image of it?

Whitsun holidays.... what?

The blouse is quite formal and they do look like epaulets and the building could well be some sort of institution, but dating it through that paper would certainly give more clues.

Unfortunately that photo is as good as it gets....

On 05/06/2022 at 23:07, Madmeg said:

Great minds think alike. The newspaper struck me as your best bet as well   do you have a better quality image of it?

Whitsun holidays.... what?

The blouse is quite formal and they do look like epaulets and the building could well be some sort of institution, but dating it through that paper would certainly give more clues.

I was puzzled by that blouse Meg and after squinting at it a while I don’t think that it is fitted with an epaulette, but instead an opening fastened by either, three buttons, or three poppers/hooks and eyes.  It looks like a fastening that one sees on some French woollen jumpers of striped nautical type.  Presumably the collar is removable, or perhaps wrap around (one side appears longer than the other).  It appears to be a rather fussy, unusual design of blouse and quite intriguing.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes that could make sense, unfortunately the definite Almeric Paget uniform doesn't show that side.  But also doesn't seem to have front buttons which would explain the need for a fastening such as you describe to be able to actually get into the garment.

Although I think the collar is just a trick of the light.  The sleeved are different though, those long sleeves probably wouldn't be for work wear, or there would be covers?

Edited by Madmeg

26 minutes ago, Madmeg said:

Yes that could make sense, unfortunately the definite Almeric Paget uniform doesn't show that side.  But also doesn't seem to have front buttons which would explain the need for a fastening such as you describe to be able to actually get into the garment.

Although I think the collar is just a trick of the light.  The sleeved are different though, those long sleeves probably wouldn't be for work wear, or there would be covers?

The uniform can be better seen as an overall type apron affair, with short sleeves, in this group photo where a variety of collars are apparent protruding through an open neck.  There are it seems universally short sleeves, without removable arm covers, presumably because unlike nurses there is no contact with open wounds.

images courtesy of National Army Museum and ‘Scarlet Finders’.

9A90532E-6E3C-42FB-ABAB-4E57D370BE45.jpeg

C1095531-F859-4A42-BB5D-0D24280C2C86.jpeg

46B0DAA6-EFA3-465B-8E23-F2DD5F476F64.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Madmeg said:

Those are good, and definitely NOT like her blouse.

They don’t look very dainty do they!  I’d be reluctant to wrestle with any of them after all that arm pummelling they must have done.:huh:

Edited by FROGSMILE

:D

I've trawled quite a few copies of the Weekly Dispatch. The Old Calabar advert top left seems to run 17/1/1915 to 4/3/1917. I've been through all of 1915 and up to July 1916 with no luck.

It's possible the advert ran for a short period in 1914, 1918 or 1919 but I've not seen it. I've search FMP for Whitsun Holidays or just Whitsun 1910-1919 and into the early 20s.

The remaining period seems to be July 1916 to March 1917 or of course the image is pre or post war and not getting picked up by a search. It became the Sunday Dispatch in 1928

No idea about areas covered or regional editions. According to Wiki it was the biggest selling Sunday paper so may well have been available at national level.

TEW

TEW that's going above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks