Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Capture of Junction Station - updates & questions

Eran Tearosh

All,

I’m going back to a topic discussed here a few times over the years – The Capture of Junction Station.

First, a few updates about the place – The nearby cemetery and the station itself.

For some years now I’m involved in signposting throughout Israel sites related to Great War places and events.  Some of these activities are with the local CWGC office here and some of the others are with the Indian Embassy.  In the case of “The Capture of Junction Station”, these two (CWGC & Indian Embassy) meets.  The result is the restoration of the cemetery and a beautiful info & commemoration signpost due be set there within the next couple of months.

I’ll start with the cemetery, then add a separate entry for the Railway Station signpost and a third entry with a few questions, trying to find answers to a few lose ends.

I’ll start with the cemetery:

A few years ago, I pointed out to the local CWGC office here the location of what was considered till then “The lost ‘Junction Station Muhammaden Cemetery’”.  At first, there was no intent of the local CWGC office to do anything about restoration.  Although the majority of those who are still buried there are Egyptians, some are Indian and after I addressed the Indian Embassy on this matter, eventually the inscriptions on the Obelisk at this site were restored.  However, access to the place and proper maintenance of its surroundings were not taken care of.   

A GWF thread from 2016-2017 named ‘British Monument Sorek Palestine’ related to this stage:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/240341-british-monument-sorek-palestine/

Well, things changed. I’m working with the Indian Embassy here on a project named “The Indian 1914-1918 trail of combat in The Holy Land” (Still arguing the final name). It took a long time to progress, but now the stars are aligned in the right way and its moving.

Just under a year ago, we started (A preliminary act) by restoring the Junction Station Muhammaden Cemetery and holding a ceremony at the site (Gareth – Nadar was involved at the work here as well, as usual…).

Here are a few photos (By Avi Navon, Barry Levinson and myself), from the event in June 2021:

1463263573_IMG_20210813_073643-.jpg.4aaa7d5ce23aaae92126299567013069.jpg

1752437808_P1450024-.jpg.389674e0ab5e90944d54472d38d83517.jpg

1832035577_P1450044-.jpg.1c5a58c297c0dc02f0b1e349d8badc90.jpg

IMG-20210815-WA0042.jpg.05ca87d2e63cb5b960da995762951c4d.jpg

184951855_IMG_20210813_073510-.jpg.aa6816ba7664a3bcb47d3d3ae69a8b48.jpg

Eran

The second preliminary act (organized in less than two weeks…) was putting up a temporary signpost at Ra’anana, that was unveiled in quite an impressive ceremony, during the visit of the Indian External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, October 2021.

The event was covered in local and Indian press, and the intention of creating ‘The Indian Trail’ is mentioned quite a lot. For Example:

https://www.ndtv.com/indians-abroad/s-jaishankar-unveils-plaque-in-memory-of-indian-soldiers-in-israel-who-sacrificed-their-lives-in-wwi-2582192

I’m adding a few photos (Rare opportunity to see me in Jacket & Tie…) – the sign will be replaced shorty by the much more impressive official sign.

IMG-20211020-WA0023.jpg.bde2c8cfa02d0d195a7c877d03c9098f.jpg

1411110707_BBC_1785-S.jpg.4651e0a7edc00f4b120f791dfd9d2120.jpg

875709915_BBC_1694-S.jpg.1fd79a5c44dcc690dfd75c30a4f27ac2.jpg

IMG_20211020_132803.jpg.5281f0aadea2a3405fd2a0f9054cdb9a.jpg

However, the first signpost will be placed at the Railway station of Junction Station. At the moment, there are two other signposts over there, within the fenced area. The Indian signpost will probably be placed outside of the fenced area, much more accessible and readable.  

1597307110_3766.jpg.6bc313a82d0b1d65ef561b04aee10d85.jpg

This means that while visiting Junction Station one would be able to visit two different sites: The Railway Station & the nearby (About 600 meters away) Military Cemetery.

Eran

Now, to the lose ends. I looked into several sources and found some differences, but the basic story remains quite similar. Dave (ddycher) did a great job and wrote a lot about it in this thread (Link below), comparing the different 234th Brigade’s Battalion Histories (Mostly on page 2 – Page 1 is mostly dedicated to Palin & Anley):

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/131043-eef-people/

Who entered Junction Station first?

Most likely, the 123rd Outram’s Rifles were first to the Railway Station and its immediate surroundings.  Seems that the 58th Vaughan’s Rifles were an hour or so behind them and advanced a bit forward from the railway track to the east & north-east.

The Air Force’s role

We have a few reports of areal activities against the camps and aerodrome at Junction Station the days prior to the Nov. 14th.  Rawlinson (History of the Outram’s Rifles reports: “Just after daybreak an earoplane reported that the Turks were evacuating the station”. Would be interesting to find this report.

When did the two armoured cars join in and where were they operating?

According to the British OH (Falls) it seems the armoured cars were operating along the main road (Majdal – Latrun road.  Today road No. 3).  They passed the Outram’s Rifles platoons and came into action against some retreating Turks, most likely just north of the station and continued to the north and north-west, along the road leading to Ramle (Parallel to the railway tracks).  As the armoured cars were “Passing two platoons of the 123rd Rifles”, one might get the impression that were ahead, but it seems that’s not the case – The Outram’s Rifles were heading for the station itself, while the armoured cars “came into action near the station against a party of Turks just quitting it shooting down a number and driving the rest in wild confusion up the Ramle road” (Falls), which means to the north.

Any idea how to find the war diaries / other records of the 12th LAMB, that these two cars were a part of?

Kress von Kressenstein – when and how he left Junction Station?

That’s probably the most intriguing question regarding ‘The Capture of Junction Station’.  Just after daybreak, two trains left the station northwards.  According to the British OH (Falls) “some prisoners affirmed that Kress von Kressenstein thus escaped”.  Lind, in “A Record of the 58th Rifles FF in the Great War 1914 – 1919” wrote: “Two trains were observed steaming away towards Ludd, but as no guns had yet come up nothing could be done.  It was afterwards ascertained that these trains carried General Von Kress, Commanding the Turkish Forces, and his staff.  Had the Brigade advanced - instead of entrenching, and got across the railway an immense number of important prisoners and rolling stock would probably have been secured.”  Rawlinson (Outram’s Rifles) wrote: “at daybreak on the 14th two trains had been seen to leave the station and had the artillery been up they would have had excellent targets – the trains, an enemy battery in position east of Station, and – later – formed bodies of the enemy retreating up the Jerusalem Road.  It was rumored at time that Kress Von Kressenstein, the German Commander, was in one of the trains, but it was stated later that he had left the Station on the afternoon of the 13th by car.” Who right?

Blowing up a bridge north of Junction Station – Why and by who?

This is a strange thing.  Lind (58th Vaughan Rifles) wrote: “During the afternoon a party of our sappers blew up the railway bridge 500 yards north of railway station without giving any warning.  As a consequence, Subadar Karam Singh, and two other ranks were severely wounded by flying debris.  There was no reason to blow up the bridge and it was entirely unexpected: it had to be rebuilt immediately afterwards.”

This is not reported elsewhere and sounds so incredibly stupid that I was tempted to think that there was probably an accidental explosion for this reason or another, but then I found a few photos in the AWM’s collections, with this caption:

A LATTICE GIRDER BRIDGE BUILT BY THE TURKS OVER THE WADY ES SURAR CLOSE TO JUNCTION STATION. THE PHOTOGRAPH SHOWS THE BRIDGE AFTER IT HAD BEEN DESTROYED BY 2ND FIELD SQUADRON, AUSTRALIAN ENGINEERS.

4061647.JPG

Why on earth would someone order to blow a bridge that was destined to be blown away many hours before that (Actually, there are two bridges north of the station – could be either one. Note the attached map), before the station was captured, and to blow it up after the station was in British hands?!!?

image.jpeg.fac6486dcf02345deb279479d129f27b.jpeg

And why weren’t the 58th Rifles warned?!!?

But equally strange – Why the Australian Engineers were involved with this?!!? My guess is that they belonged to the Australian Mounted Division who came up in this direction during November 14th, later in the day. I found their War Diary, but couldn’t read it….

Dave, any chance that the RE Officer, C.P. Manning, referred to this? (If possible, I'd love to read his article!)

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

Mate,

The War diary (2 LH FSE) mentions that they blow up the bridge under orders from the 7th Mounted Bde (Pages 3 and 4) 13/14 Nov 1917 

The main one, a Steel bridge by Capt Brisbane

The Infantry they say were to there left, when the 2 LH FSE moved to laid charges under Ottoman Artillery fire.

They make no mention of any Infantry near the bridge, only the Cavalry, so if these Indian men were wounded, how close were they?

Will look into this further.

BRISBANE    Hughie Lancelot    1740    Prov/Sgt    10 LHR    11R Tos Pte RHQ? 1-16 to L/Cpl 1-16 prom 2/Lt C Troop 1 LH FSE 27-5-16 att 3 LH Field Troop AE Imperial MD (2 LH FSE) 2-17 prom Capt 8-17 MID - for his command of the Sqn between Feb 1917 to Sept 1918 prom Maj 2-19 att war records Sect AIF HQ 3-19 rtn T/CO 2 LH FSE (from Ford-Young) 4-19 awarded Order of the Nile 4th class - possibly for his service during the war

The war diary mentions

"No Troops were close (Field Troops) Capt Brisbane at once collected Sappers and joined HQ 7th Mounted Bde and advanced to Junction.

The Infantry were on the left and both reached Junction Station line at about the same time.

The Bridge was laid with charges under heavy shell fire and railway lines .

As the enemy retreated we destroyed the bridge"

Mate,

The war diary Aust Mounted Div mentions 13 Nov 1917

That the 5th Mounted Bde was replaced by the 7th MB and two cars from the 12 LAM Bty under Capt Sefton were attached to AMD

War diary 14 Nov 1917

the 7 MB arrived outside JS around midday with the 2 LH Bde to move to JS and 4 LH Bdes at Kezazeh covering them

at 1520 hrs the 7 MB reported enemy retiring East of JS

at 1420 reported held up by MG fire (mate yes the times are out here but thats whats in the War Diary)

at 1630 2 LH FSE reported bridge demo under shell fire

PS

I did read the 4 LHR War diary where they say 

14 Nov

Captured 2 officers and 63 OR during advance, the 7 MB was on our right and the 233 Bde on our left

So we have to wonder how close were the Indians to be hit by bits of the bridge when blown, as they were no where near the bridge, with LH and Yeomanry in between?

A check of the War diaries for the Indian Regts (123 and 58 Bns) and the 7th Mounted Bde may add more here?

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Thank you Steve!!

Seems that the destruction of the bridge (completely unnecessary at that time. It had to be rebuilt right away....) is another serious mistake on the fairly long list of mistakes connected to the Capture of Junction Station.

Seems that the Australian RE just arrived on the scene and followed an order, without knowing that some of the Vaughan's Rifles were nearby.

Thanks again!

Eran 

Mate,

Just to add to this, there was a idea that the Turks were about to counter attack in that area.

Reports by different Regts support this idea.

I surpose it was decided by the commander on the spot, to deny the Turks the use of the Bridge in case they did 

While crossing appears possible along this wadi by the photos I've seen?

Anyway soon after it was blown higher HQ decided it now wanted to advance and the bridge was needed.

Either way most of the Regts stayed in the area during the night and continued the next morning.

There captured a lot of stores and needed to clear it.

You know the old story in war.

The war diary 4 LH Bde mentions

14 Nov

1535 hrs

Army Corps and Artillery may attempt to counter attack towards Mesmiyeh from Tel el Safi, standing patrols posted

1625 hrs

2 LH Bde and 4 Regt line ongoing, 4 LH Bde occupied outpost line

The 2nd LH Bde reports

14 Nov

Enemy retiring, rear guard well supplied with Artillery and MGs

15 Nov

7 Mounted Bde in demostration against the enemies retiring columns, but rear guard to strong.

The Aust Mounted Div reports coming under command 21st Corps on the 14 Nov, the both stayed in the area for the next few days.

While the bridge played no part at the time, and its loss or replacement didn't effect the fighting, as it is not mentioned in any diaries, after it blowing.

The war diary 2 LH FSE makes no mention of repairing or replacing the bridge, as the missing Field Troops (3 FTE 4 TFE and 5 FTE) arrived back from there scatted jobs around the 15 Nov.

Capt Brisbane commanded only a few scatted sappers from his Sqn HQ 2 LH FSE, when he blow the bridge, under orders from the 7 Mounted Bde ( I have to wonder if Engineers from the 7 MB (Yeomanry Mounted Div) also helped, as none are mentioned)?

Unless another Engineers units (from 75 Div or 21st Corps) replaced the bridge, we (Aussies) appear to have played no further part?

That's if I am reading these war diaries correctly

S.B

Edited by stevebecker