Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parents of an AIF soldier

tankengine888

I was advised to post here in soldiers, mods may move it if deemed necessary

Now onto the fun stuff

I am looking for an Olof Edward Olson of Sweden and an Ida/Ada/'A' Olson of Sweden (presumably) aswell.

Their son was a Light Horseman in the AIF, and I've used ancestry but only to find no results, specifically public trees and records I mean. In skindles, George Raynar told me that Olof arrived in Glasgow in '(19)06! But he suggested to post here.

Cheers in advance!

It may help to give a link to their son's AIF record. We can then work from there. Olof Olson is a very common name. Cheers

2 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

George Raynar told me that Olof arrived in Glasgow in '(19)06!

Yes he did...but he also appears arriving in New York several times-so obviously crew aboard the ship.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?name=Olof_Olson&event=_Glasgow&count=50&event_x=_1-0&location=3257.3250&name_x=1_1&priority=united-kingdom

NAME: Olof Olson
PORT OF DEPARTURE: New York, New York, USA
ARRIVAL DATE: Aug 1906
PORT OF ARRIVAL: Glasgow, Scotland
PORTS OF VOYAGE: New York
SHIP NAME: Columbia
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 115682

Courtesy Ancestry

George

If indeed it is the correct Olof Olson

George

30 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

It may help to give a link to their son's AIF record. We can then work from there. Olof Olson is a very common name. Cheers

Having a few idle minutes (now all but passed), I found on AWM the service record of Alfred John Olson 456 of the 10th Australian Light Horse, but suspect he is not the correct man.

Edited by Moonraker

30 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

It may help to give a link to their son's AIF record. We can then work from there. Olof Olson is a very common name.

Or even birth, death details for O. E. Olson...

George

14 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Alfred John Olson 456 of the 10th Australian Light House

His father appeared to be J. OLSON

AJO born Gumeracha, South Australia.

And both appear likely to be from Mount Lawley, Western Australia @ 1914

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

I think we need more information from tonkengine888 first! Like you said there are a lot of Olson's. I've even got some in my family tree! (Courtesy WW2 and USAAF Mighty 8th!)

George

4 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

I think we need more information from tonkengine888 first!

Undoubtedly, but this is what he wrote in Skindles - didn't help me much, but perhaps may help others ...

I have confirmed my great great grandfathers parents names.. but it's stuck behind a Paywall.. let me tell you the whole thing

Great great grandad was a Light Horseman, birth date has never been uncovered, but I have confirmed that his parents were residing in Sweden since the 30s... His record reads (for his NoK) that his mother is

'A Olson, 25 Nelson Street, Glasgow, L.S, Scotland'

Father on marriage certificate was Olof,

A postcard I was given which was sent to my great great grandad reads From Olof and Ida (or Ada?)

Birth certificates are locked behind paywalls on myheritage! All is annoying for me.

Rather looks as though TE888 has found a SR.

We await ...

M

Good find!

There is a ancestry family tree - very sparse - That refers to an Einar James Olson born 24/3/1892. Died Murray Bridge, South Australia 22/2/1968. Father given as Olof Edward, No supporting evidence. March1892 would match age on enlistment to the month, 

A James Einar married Anna Auguste Rubina Loechel at Lutheran Church Bow Hill, South Australia 22/6/21.

Of course above may be TEE888's genealogical musings. Edit:  Looks like they Are

Edited by Mark1959

5 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a ancestry family tree - very sparse - That refers to an Einar James Olson born 24/3/1892. Died Murray Bridge, South Australia 22/2/1968. Father given as Olof Edward, No supporting evidence. March1892 would match age on enlistment to the month, 

A James Einar married Anna Auguste Rubina Loechel at Lutheran Church Bow Hill, South Australia 22/6/21.

Of course above may be TEE888's genealogical musings. Edit:  Looks like they Are

He was right, James Olson or Einar James Olson as he was referred to. This is all correct by the way, James Einar married Anne Loechel in 1921, listed his parent as Olof Edward Olson.

Have to go, but you're on the right track

6 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Yes he did...but he also appears arriving in New York several times-so obviously crew aboard the ship.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?name=Olof_Olson&event=_Glasgow&count=50&event_x=_1-0&location=3257.3250&name_x=1_1&priority=united-kingdom

NAME: Olof Olson
PORT OF DEPARTURE: New York, New York, USA
ARRIVAL DATE: Aug 1906
PORT OF ARRIVAL: Glasgow, Scotland
PORTS OF VOYAGE: New York
SHIP NAME: Columbia
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 115682

Courtesy Ancestry

George

But it only says Olof without Edward?

Forgot to mention, I DID find a possible match for Olof,

It's on a public ancestry tree,

Olof Edward Olson

Born Sweden, October 1871

He's old enough for having a child in 1892

Edited by tankengine888

8 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

But it only says Olof without Edward?

Yes-just Olof

George

9 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Yes-just Olof

George

Is that how it usually is? Cause it would make sense lacking a middle name in the records

Do you think O E Olson was a sailor?

George

5 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Do you think O E Olson was a sailor?

George

Well, common folklore story is that his son (the light horseman) was born in a certain place instead of his parents native country. That would actually make sense since I recently acquired an old postcard sent to him from 'Olof and Ada(or Ida)'

The postcard was in Swedish

Edited by tankengine888

Got the postcard, what do you people make it out to be? Olof obviously, but the first one?

Screenshot_2022-05-05-23-52-22-68.jpg

It says God jul

tillönskas av:

af

Ida och Olof

(Merry Christmas is wished [to you] by Ida and Olof)

AFAIK Ada is not a common name in Scandinavia.

Edited by knittinganddeath

9 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

It says God jul

tillönskas av:

af

Ida och Olof

(Merry Christmas is wished [to you] by Ida and Olof)

AFAIK Ada is not a common name in Scandinavia.

I thought it was Ida, but on the AIF record, his mother is listed as A Olson, living in Glasgow. If this is true, the story of Olof being a sailor via records shared by George Rayner are actually correct.

His son was 562 Olson, I would link his service record, but I need to sleep.

I'm intrigued by the writer of the card having written "af" (from) with Danish/old Norwegian spelling while the printed Swedish version "av" is right there.

Ida (English pronounciation eye-dah) and Ada can be made to sound similar, depending on how the first A is pronounced in Ada, so I don't think it is a huge jump to go from Ida to Ada in an Anglo country.

Just out of curiosity, 
How do I find a birth record for their son, Einar Olson? I was told these were the ONLY[male] births for Glasgow for the name 'Olson/Olsen'|
'Frank Theordore Olsen' 

'James William Olson'

Now, if that is the case, this is probably [in my mind] is what happened

A. The story of him being born in a place instead of his parents native home makes sense, but his family lived [or atleast he said] they lived in December 1914. This is not a real possibility as per an email I sent and received...
'In the 1915 Valuation Rolls there are no Olson's living in Nelson Street.'

B. So if Olof was a sailor, then that would make sense for Einar to be born in Glasgow.. and the 1906 list with Olof arriving in Glasgow via the US, that could mean he was trying to earn a living in other places, but how come they didn't show up on the 1911 census? Maybe they moved back by then and went back after 1911 census and left before 1915 without Einar knowing, then again, he might've done something similar to John Simpson Kirkpatrick.. i.e went under an assumed name and jumped ship or landed in Australia either way.

C. Maybe this is all conjecture and incorrect, it would make sense why he hasn't appeared on Glasgow birth records or any records which brings the thought of him born in Sweden or elsewhere. I also haven't checked Scottish/British newspapers yet, so maybe that is why?

Any suggestions or findings would be nice! Also should note, birth is usually accepted as 24th March 1892, as per family tree book [via marriage] and AIF record.
Anyhow, this was his first and second names [usually misread and that]
James Einer
Einer James
James
James Einar 
Einar 
But always known as Einar James

Edited by tankengine888

You will need to go to the Scotlands People website. Create an account. But you have to pay to look at the actual records. But there are no Olson or Olsen births that appears relevant between 1890 and 1894. I wonder if he was born out of the UK and to say he was born in Glasgow was a convenient lie. 

Looking up Einar - this appears to be the Swedish version of Edward - so his father's real middle name may well be Einar. Do a google search for edward - einer and you will see what I mean. I wonder if he angiclised Olaf or Olof.

Edited by Mark1959

A couple of very cursory searches on the Swedish archive site brought up nothing, but you probably want to double-check: https://sok.riksarkivet.se/specialsok and https://sok.riksarkivet.se/person

Is it possible that he wasn't born in Glasgow proper, but a place/village nearby?

Does the Christmas card have any other useful information (postmarks, stamps, etc)?

Also, wrt Anglicisation, the name Edvard (with V) is also found in Sweden.