Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parents of an AIF soldier

tankengine888

8 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

A couple of very cursory searches on the Swedish archive site brought up nothing, but you probably want to double-check: https://sok.riksarkivet.se/specialsok and https://sok.riksarkivet.se/person

Is it possible that he wasn't born in Glasgow proper, but a place/village nearby?

Does the Christmas card have any other useful information (postmarks, stamps, etc)?

Also, wrt Anglicisation, the name Edvard (with V) is also found in Sweden.

Nothing really useful

IMG-20220504-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220504-WA0003.jpg

On thing that does occur is the artist name is scandanavian and the card also. Wonder how available such a card was  in the Glasgow area. Even the place for the stamp is not in English. This does not imply the card was purchased in the UK. But anything is possible.

edit: Note

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Nyström who appears to be the artist of the card. Or at least involved in its production.

Edited by Mark1959

23 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Also, wrt Anglicisation, the name Edvard (with V) is also found in Sweden.

Yes there are plenty of Olof Edvard - I stand corrected

43 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

On thing that does occur is the artist name is scandanavian and the card also. Wonder how available such a card was  in the Glasgow area. Even the place for the stamp is not in English. This does not imply the card was purchased in the UK. But anything is possible.

edit: Note

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Nyström who appears to be the artist of the card. Or at least involved in its production.

Remember, it's in Swedish, I think that they moved back there (post 1906), hence no records (or nearly none) relating to it all.. my thoughts anyways,

Long and the short of it is: I think they lived in Glasgow in little intervals, hence no 1911 census, lacking many records relating to them and the postcards Swedish background! So they probably died in Sweden or was there for a longer period of time

I need sleep,

Ttfn

If you think they were in Sweden in 1910, you can search the Swedish archive site for the census (Folkräkningar) but you will need more info, like the city/province where they lived and their birth years, to really be able to narrow down the data.

There is an 1882 marriage for an Olof Olson b. 1859  and an Ida Sophia Dahlin b. 1858. They had a daughter Olga Amanda b. 1884.

6 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

There is an 1882 marriage for an Olof Olson b. 1859  and an Ida Sophia Dahlin b. 1858. They had a daughter Olga Amanda b. 1884.

I am sensing that they might be it.. no evidence to say yes or no, but I think it might be..

There are actually 2 records of marriage. The second one spells Olof's surname as Olsson.

Olof's occupation is given as shoemaker on the second marriage certificate, and also on Olga Amanda's birth certificate.

Olga Amanda was born in Bollsta, on the coast in central Sweden, which is Olof's hometown according to the marriage certificate.

Ida Sophia Dahlin's hometown is given as Hol on the marriage certificate.

Enough details to figure out if they're the parents of Einar James?

12 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

There are actually 2 records of marriage. The second one spells Olof's surname as Olsson.

Olof's occupation is given as shoemaker on the second marriage certificate, and also on Olga Amanda's birth certificate.

Olga Amanda was born in Bollsta, on the coast in central Sweden, which is Olof's hometown according to the marriage certificate.

Currently working on it, figuring out the census and that, strong feeling, yet so distant. According to my information, they had only female children.. some died as toddlers.

just to review the solid evidence

father is Olof Edward/Edvard Olson (Marriage and postcard)

Mother is an Ida/Ada Olson (postcard/AIF record)

they were in Sweden post 1920 (based of postcard)

Einar and his first son and his first son all had heart attacks at 65 (an actually true story)

mother lived in Glasgow before 1915 (according to AIF)

Edited by tankengine888

19 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Okay, I've made a bit of a family tree of this Olof, it's missing the second marriage record, but this is what i've got
https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/182768763/family?cfpid=392380420362
I looked at the census and searched for an Einar Olson in their area as well to no avail. I'll keep the tree though Just in case.
I doubt this is his parents....
Edit: How come his grandparents surname is Englund?

Edited by tankengine888