Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Officers Photos

TK1967

C J T Webb looks to be CGF Webb.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32161/supplement/12278 half way down left hand side

That is Charles George Frederick Webb. This officer is in the MC index. 1877-1965. Address on back of his medal index card is Honiton, Devon. In 1930s and 40s Sec of the Eye and Ear Hospital in Portsmouth

Edited by Mark1959

22 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

C J T Webb looks to be CGF Webb.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32161/supplement/12278 half way down left hand side

That is Charles George Frederick Webb. This officer is in the MC index. 1877-1965. Address on back of his medal index card is Honiton, Devon. In 1930s and 40s Sec of the Eye and Ear Hospital in Portsmouth

Thanks again Mark

There are newspaper articles from 1925 on Sidney John Cosham. Taxicab proprpietor. He died following a motoring accident on 23/6/1925 aged 29. A theme in several of the reports is "that was stated at the inquest ..to have driven the body of the Unknown Warrior to the French coast for transport to England"

No photos. 

Just reading the Stand Too Nov 2020 edition (Western Front Association) - a special on the unknown soldier. Specifically the Fact and Fiction: Selection Story Part 2.

Hammack and Brooks are mentioned in connection with the flag placed on the coffin of the Unknown Warrior. Hills and Tronson in relation to the exhumation of bodies at St Pol .

So it would appear the picture contains several involved at some point in the process for selecting and transporting the Unknown Warrior. The photo I think is of historical significance 

Edited by Mark1959

14 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

There are newspaper articles from 1925 on Sidney John Cosham. Taxicab proprpietor. He died following a motoring accident on 23/6/1925 aged 29. A theme in several of the reports is "that was stated at the inquest ..to have driven the body of the Unknown Warrior to the French coast for transport to England"

No photos. 

Yes I’m aware of that but no photos to identify as usual. I can’t trace a regiment and could be hearsay as sometimes happened.

Please read my edited last posting. Cosham was ASC

Edited by Mark1959

27 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

No photos. 

Just reading the Stand Too Nov 2020 edition (Western Front Association) - a special on the unknown soldier. Specifically the Fact and Fiction: Selection Story Part 2.

Hammack and Brooks are mentioned in connection with the flag placed on the coffin of the Unknown Warrior. Hills and Tronson in relation to the exhumation of bodies at St Pol .

So it would appear the picture contains several involved at some point in the process for selecting and transporting the Unknown Warrior. The photo I think is of historical significance 

The photo is part of a private family archive but is published in Mark Scotts ‘Among the Kings’ (2020.) It’s a great book revealing the most accurate account to date of the selection.

There are 2 possible TW Gearing in the ASC. One is born c1875. Having difficulty determining which is the relevant one.

29 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

There are 2 possible TW Gearing in the ASC. One is born c1875. Having difficulty determining which is the relevant one.

Edited by TimGeorge
Incorrect info

I know a member of the wider Hills family and will ask if they have a photo. This group shot shows Reginald’s aunt, Bertha nee Welfare. Through the Welfare line, Hills was a second cousin of H G Wells

8FF11DFE-720E-4D1C-9A76-9004098C4C84.jpeg

Edited by Matt JB

16 hours ago, Matt JB said:

I know a member of the wider Hills family and will ask if they have a photo. This group shot shows Reginald’s aunt, Bertha nee Welfare. Through the Welfare line, Hills was a second cousin of H G Wells

8FF11DFE-720E-4D1C-9A76-9004098C4C84.jpeg

That would be great Matt thanks and also for the family connection!