Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Unnamed Log Book.................

thedawnpatrol

8 hours ago, Madmeg said:

Feb 7th gives you midshipman Earp as Obs, and "duck flight shooting with Haskins", Feb Flt Lt Sims, 20 Feb 2nd Lt Gow and Commdr Gross (above). Also on the 20th he fished with the dotor AND under that is a note- Gross? (I can't quite make it out but I' m guessing a name? - wooden leg. Stepney. So ?Gross? or someone had a wooden leg and came from Stepney? that might help positively ID ?Gross.

1.  Haskins - is Francis Knox Haskins:

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Haskins.htm

2.  20 Feb 2nd Lt Gow and Commdr Gross (10th February - not 20th)

a)  2nd Lt Gow  - is Sub-Lieutenant Russell William Gow RNVR/RNAS:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29687/page/7481/data.pdf

DSC:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30066/supplement/4626/data.pdf

Royal Aero Club (from ancestry):

Gow.jpg.b7dfbca5c93c770393f46aaf6e1eabd4.jpg

b)  Commdr Gross - is Robert Marsland Groves appointed Officer Commanding, No 1 Wing RNAS on 12 January 1916: See my post Monday at 12:41.

3.  Text reads - Gow, wooden leg. Stepney. Small boat with sail not unlike dredger(?):

text.jpg.ab239ca8ce2419a175421e22d93aad0d.jpg

JP

Looking at the 1 Wing War Diary seems to indicate the log book belongs to Flt Commander C.D. Breese

His landing on the beach on 7th Feb in 3924 is recorded

The flight on the 5th was in 3981 not 3281

The BE2 flight with the Monitors on the 9th is recorded as 'BE no.78'

10 hours ago, Madmeg said:

Feb Flt Lt Sims, 

08 February  Flt Lt Sims - is F.S.Lt (Flight Sub-Lieutenant) James Theodore Sims RNVR/RNAS.

1.  According to de Ruvigny Volume IV, on the outbreak of war he enlisted in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry; subsequently obtained a commission as Sub-Lieut. in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve; joined the Naval Air Force in October 1915 as an Observer; on completing his training he was sent to Dunkirk and distinguished himself so highly by the splendid photographs he took in the air under heavy shell fire that he received the Croix de Guerre; ...... was flying his last flight to complete his training as a Pilot when he was killed as a result of an accident at Freiston, co. Lincoln, 26 May 1917.

2.  http://www.rcawsey.co.uk/Acc1917.htm

Death.jpg.9f987259affa836b95b16a7f5c51ff8e.jpg

3.  CWGC

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/379758/james-theodore-sims/

4.  Royal Aero Club (from ancestry)

Sims.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl

52 minutes ago, nieuport11 said:

Looking at the 1 Wing War Diary seems to indicate the log book belongs to Flt Commander C.D. Breese

Thank you !

Charles Dempster Breese:

https://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Breese.htm

From ancestry:

Breese.jpg.97734213c5d90540ee665fd441cd952e.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl

That's fantastic, well done all................

so, are we all happy that i can attribute this logbook to Charles Dempster Breese.............? 

for this period :- 

Feb 1917:                Officer Commanding, No 10 Sqn RNAS. (Nieuport 1½ Strutter, Scout – Western Front)  

and now we know the name, is there mention of Dempster on Harold Rosher's book ?

thank you all.

1 hour ago, thedawnpatrol said:

so, are we all happy that i can attribute this logbook to Charles Dempster Breese.............?  for this period :- 

Feb 1917:                Officer Commanding, No 10 Sqn RNAS. (Nieuport 1½ Strutter, Scout – Western Front)  

and now we know the name, is there mention of Dempster on Harold Rosher's book ?

1.  Your Log Book covers the period 18 January to 20 February 1916 when, according to the War Diary,  Flight Commander Breese was at 1 Wing. 

No. 10 Squadron didn't exist until 12 February 1917.

3 hours ago, nieuport11 said:

2.  I posted a link to Harold Rosher's book yesterday (Tuesday). See under Charles Walter Graham.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

On 16/03/2022 at 08:19, helpjpl said:

1.  Haskins - is Francis Knox Haskins:

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Haskins.htm

2.  20 Feb 2nd Lt Gow and Commdr Gross (10th February - not 20th)

a)  2nd Lt Gow  - is Sub-Lieutenant Russell William Gow RNVR/RNAS:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29687/page/7481/data.pdf

DSC:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30066/supplement/4626/data.pdf

Royal Aero Club (from ancestry):

Gow.jpg.b7dfbca5c93c770393f46aaf6e1eabd4.jpg

b)  Commdr Gross - is Robert Marsland Groves appointed Officer Commanding, No 1 Wing RNAS on 12 January 1916: See my post Monday at 12:41.

3.  Text reads - Gow, wooden leg. Stepney. Small boat with sail not unlike dredger(?):

text.jpg.ab239ca8ce2419a175421e22d93aad0d.jpg

JP

'Stepney'  could be another ship .

5 hours ago, nils d said:

'Stepney'  could be another ship .

Thanks nils d 

Feb 5th- am I reading "Dover" to Dunkirk? because it seems unlikely as there is no mention of the original flight to Dover? although could that be what he did on the 4th but he wasn't flying? Or am I reading that wrong?

On the 5th Feb he was presumably ferrying a new machine-BE2c- from Dover to Dunkirk.

Since there is no mention of a flight on the preceding day/s to Dover, he probably went over on

one of the fast destroyers which ran across the channel on daily services.

Geoff

• 1 year later...

Those interested in these posts may like to know that I'm helping transcribe a hospital diary which refers to Sub-Lieut. Russell Gow. He was in hospital with measles in March 1916. The air group there included Flight-Commander Evill, Lieut. Baudry,    Sub-Lieut. Russell Gow,  Intelligence Officer O. Clutterbuck Williams, Observer James Simms, Pilot Harry Seymour Neville, Pilot Morgan & a man called Binifie. "Stepney" was the name of Gow's wooden leg.                 

Hello Tattersfield Diary,

Observer Sub Lieutenant Russel Gow was RNVR and an Observer for B Squadron 1 Wing RNAS, and subsequently  No.2 Squadron and then a major in 202 Sqn RAF. And Evill was in charge of B Squadron 1 Wing and No.2 Squadron before going on to very great status in the RAF.

I'm currently well into the history of No.2 Squadron RNAS and would be very grateful for any references to Evill and Gow. Gow's wooden leg is just the stuff I need!

Cheers

Mike

I am afraid as this is a hospital diary the author only spent limited time with these serviceman. (They were in isolation together.) There are a few personal observations but he deliberately chose not to record their military discussions. The diary is not yet published.

What I can say Mike is that Gow made good fun of his "Stepney" & was it seems into the thrill of service. The diary author was much impressed by Evill - "a man not to be forgotten, and who should rise high," clearly a 'professional." Hope that helps. Peter

Peter,

it does, thank you - always need a human side to these exercises. Both men went far, Evill especially, ending up an RAF Air Chief Marshall - he obviously cut an imposing figure even when covered in spots in hospital.

20 hours ago, MikeW said:

Ok thank you for your help Tattersfield Diary,

the wooden leg name is invaluable information, it really is!

East Riding soldier Lt-CoL Russell William Gow of 44 Westwood-road Beverley has died at his home— on his birthday— following a stroke on Sunday. He was 77. As a young man he was involved in a hunting accident while following the Bombay hounds and received injuries which resulted in the amputation of a leg. At the outbreak of World War I because of his artificial leg he found difficulty in joining the Forces but eventually was commissioned in the Royal Naval Air Service in 1915. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross while acting as observer and the award citation mentioned the fact that his machine was hit on many occasions by anti-aircraft fire. ZEEBRUGGE RAID For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in carrying out photographic reconnaissance of Belgian coast in October 1917 he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order. This was in connection with the raid in Zeebrugge which blocked the port. He was demobilised on February 18 1919 as Maj Gow. In World War II he was member of the East Riding’s three-man emergency committee for Civil Defence He was superintendent of the Special Constabulary in Beverley Division and later took command of a battalion of Army cadets (Yorkshire Regiment) with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. From the end of World War I to 1961 he presented the Forces Help Society in Beverley.  LEGION SERVICE Col Gow was well known for his willingness to assist ex-servicemen in need. He was president of Beverley branch of the British Legion for over 25 years and vice-president of the East Riding branch for a long period. He was elected to the East Riding County Council in 1931 and later became a county alderman. For several years Col Gow served as a magistrate on the now defunct North Hunsley Bench and from 1941 to his death he was a member of the Beverley Bench. His wife Mrs Gladys Gow who has also served on the East Riding County Council since 1931 and is a county alderman is also a member of the Beverley Bench. Col Gow received two foreign decorations— the Belgian Order of Leopold and the French Croix de Guerre King. George V once said in a letter concerning the colonel that to see him walk about no one would ever have guessed that he had an artificial leg.

Hull Daily Mail 28 January 1964

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000324%2f19640128%2f001&stringtohighlight=gow

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/146255176:62221?tid=390340&pid=302462858003&queryId=2e6307cd15f32afdea58fa86e0b65319&_phsrc=3b2-340384&_phstart=successSource

JP

Thank you so much for posting Gow's Daily Mail obituary JP. It's very nearly right, he actually joined the RNVR on 12th December 1915, he wasn't actually commissioned in the RNAS until 1st April 1917.

He trained to be a pilot at Cranwell in January 1918 and got his RAeC ticket remarkably quickly in just over a month. He then returned to Belgium to take command of his old squadron which had become No.202 Squadron RAF.

Mike

My thanks too JP for the obituary. It is good to hear that he survived the war & had a distinguidhed life. By coincidence he lived 20 minutes walk from where my sister in law lived in the 1970s-2000s, right by the Beverley racecourse. By WW1 it seems he was connected with Shell & the oil industry. The obituary doesn't tell us if he continued with this career or did something else.

On 12/04/2023 at 17:19, Tattersfield diary said:

much impressed by Evill - "a man not to be forgotten, and who should rise high," 

So are you saying that Evil will always triumph?,,,,😈