Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench art lighter symbols - help requested

Gunner 87

On 14/03/2022 at 12:11, Gunner 87 said:

Gents, thank you. With no more to go on it is difficult to say whether the initials next to the thistle are SB or LB though I favour the latter, due to the length of the lettering. Bob, very good point about the Seaforth Highlanders collar badge.

Just noticed a link perhaps.  Thinking outside the (match) box I now speculate it belonged to a Scottish (thistle) mercantile marine sailor initialled L.B. and represents an informal (and now most obscure) record of his wartime travels 1915-18.  The IoM is most obvious but the elephant and 'S' may represent the flag of Siam (below) used 1855-1917-ish ......... or Shipping Company flags......... and at this point my theory grinds to a stuttering halt at the prospect of hunting through literally thousands of registered Shipping Company House Flags.

Siam.png

Edited by TullochArd

I think the elephant may have been designed such that the lower part of the S constitutes its trunk. Just sayin.:mellow:

5 hours ago, TullochArd said:

Just noticed a link perhaps.  Thinking outside the (match) box I now speculate it belonged to a Scottish (thistle) mercantile marine sailor initialled L.B. and represents an informal (and now most obscure) record of his wartime travels 1915-18.  The IoM is most obvious but the elephant and 'S' may represent the flag of Siam (below) used 1855-1917-ish ......... or Shipping Company flags......... and at this point my theory grinds to a stuttering halt at the prospect of hunting through literally thousands of registered Shipping Company House Flags.

Siam.png

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

I think the elephant may have been designed such that the lower part of the S constitutes its trunk. Just sayin.:mellow:

Thank you both for your suggestions. I actually air on the side that the elephant trunk is raised and the S is separate possibly representing 'Lizzie' the elephant from Sheffield drafted for war work but with so many options and possibilities I think I may have to concede defeat on this. FMP have 318 servicemen numbered 178 with two matching the initials but neither completed more than one years service.....of course, if this is the last three of a service number we have no chance. 

TullochArd, should you find a similar symbol to the elephant or monkey then please do let me know but please dont go to any great lengths.

kind regards Gunner 87.

51 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

TullochArd ............ but please dont go to any great lengths.

........ rest assured Gunner 87 ......... the case is well closed at this end!