Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

English Military Cross

Ascanio

Hello, sorry for my poor english, I use google translator :-)

I found a Military Cross in the cellar with the assignment decree of 1919. It was given to my grandfather, an Italian officer. I noticed very different ratings between the various sites that deal with military medals, and I'd like some expert advice before I put it up for sale. Thank you 

2022-02-28_08-32-29.jpg.9df7c6947a03ce2bb3274229f5664daa.jpg

2022-02-28_08-32-00.jpg

2022-02-28_08-32-17.jpg

1646040362319.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Ascanio said:

Hello, sorry for my poor english, I use google translator :-)

I found a Military Cross in the cellar with the assignment decree of 1919. It was given to my grandfather, an Italian officer. I noticed very different ratings between the various sites that deal with military medals, and I'd like some expert advice before I put it up for sale. Thank you 

2022-02-28_08-32-29.jpg.9df7c6947a03ce2bb3274229f5664daa.jpg

2022-02-28_08-32-00.jpg

2022-02-28_08-32-17.jpg

1646040362319.jpeg

Welcome to the forum,  Ascanio.

Do you know what your grandfather did to win this medal?

Could you please tell us his name?

I secretly hope that if we can help you discover his history it will encourage you to keep the medal but of course any decision is yours.

Charlie

Hi  Ascanio,

As Charlie has posted, please give us his name and date of birth and any other family history and then we can research for you.

Regards Barry

Quite a common medal but still worth around £500 plus a more with any paperwork to a foreign awardee

this is a very broad figure for a single unattributed medal  just to give you a rough idea of worth so you don’t get ripped off . Look at dnw.do.uk for example 

The name was Carmine Colacino, as you can see in the attached enlargement (Yes the surname isnot precise, but it is.

Unfortunately My grandfather died in 1961, when I was 3 yrs old, and my father too is dead many yrs ago, so I can't find more info. I have some old pictures and letters, but I think they are not important

1646040362319 (2).jpeg

1 hour ago, Ascanio said:

have some old pictures and letters,

We always like to see, if possible, a photo of the man we are researching. Have you read through the letters to see if they refer to his time in the Army?

Charlie

War office List No. 36

Below is a link to a table of these lists of British awards to allies, as compiled by monsieur Fabrice Danes, whilst researching French recipients
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fJ_Oh5wqP8ma3dl-rMiCnMAoCL31bi_4/view

Some poor quality images can be downloaded, free of charge (at present) from the website of The National Archives UK, Kew

Reference: WO 388/6/8
Description:

British to foreign: Italy - List Numbers 1 - 72.

Date: 1915 June 25 - 1922 May 8

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14727849

It is the first time I have seen one of these lists having been printed out and passed on to a medal recipient. Thanks for sharing.

2 minutes ago, Ascanio said:

I'm in correspondence with a store who sends and buy militaria.... I wait for an offer to purchase it

I appreciate your decision.

Do remember that once sold, you or your family will never get them back. On this forum  we have many families who ask how they can recover family medals sold off a long time ago, maybe by another branch of the same family.

So if you really do not want to keep them then establish a reasonable market value (as you are doing) and then perhaps think of offering them at this price to another part of the family? This will mean that they are more likely to keep them than sell them straight away!

Charlie

1 hour ago, Ascanio said:

The name was Carmine Colacino, as you can see in the attached enlargement (Yes the surname is not precise, but it is.

1646040362319 (2).jpeg

If memory serves me right, the names of two Italian ORs who were awarded the MM for gallantry in North Russia have their names incorrectly transcribed by the British on their list.

Was this award for a particular action? Is he documented in the Bollettino Ufficiale - Ministero Della Guerra ?

Thanks
Silvano inglese

26 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

War office List No. 36

Below is a link to a table of these lists of British awards to allies, as compiled by monsieur Fabrice Danes, whilst researching French recipients
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fJ_Oh5wqP8ma3dl-rMiCnMAoCL31bi_4/view

Some poor quality images can be downloaded, free of charge (at present) from the website of The National Archives UK, Kew

Reference: WO 388/6/8
Description:

British to foreign: Italy - List Numbers 1 - 72.

Date: 1915 June 25 - 1922 May 8

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14727849

It is the first time I have seen one of these lists having been printed out and passed on to a medal recipient. Thanks for sharing.

I have the original that is here reproduced in Page 46 and succ.

24 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I appreciate your decision.

Do remember that once sold, you or your family will never get them back. On this forum  we have many families who ask how they can recover family medals sold off a long time ago, maybe by another branch of the same family.

So if you really do not want to keep them then establish a reasonable market value (as you are doing) and then perhaps think of offering them at this price to another part of the family? This will mean that they are more likely to keep them than sell them straight away!

Charlie

Our grandfather,dieds when we were little children and we don't have any remind of him. This objects were lost in a box at my onvle's home. When he died I sell his home and I took everythin important. I prefere to have pictures and letters than medals.

7 hours ago, Ascanio said:

Sorry 

Don’t worry Ascanio we all know what you meant. We do have some pedants on here 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Do remember that once sold, you or your family will never get them back.

As Charlie said, please do not rush to sell it. You can sell it any time. It will likely increase in price over time due to inflation alone. It would be quite a rare award to an Italian.

At least wait until you can research it better. It will increase its value.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

It’s good you enquired as some would have thrown the whole lot in a bin . We all value things differently

5 hours ago, Ascanio said:

. I prefere to have pictures and letters than medals

Yes, those photos and letters are unique, personal and irreplaceable. But don't feel that medals glorify war. They compliment the documentation and are nevertheless a recognition of good work and sacrifice. There are many, many who never received this recognition. So as Ivor said, don't rush to sell them.

I will tihink about it. What you said caused me to see things also from a different point of view...  luckily I don't need to sell it to eat, so I can think about it :D

Dear Ascanio,

Your grandfather was a capable and good-looking man, worthy of remembrance.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

49 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Ascanio,

Can you tell me your g/father's date of birth? Was his wife Rosa Fanuone?

Regards Barry 

Hello, unfortunately I don't know the date, even if I tried to find it in the military archives of italian Army. The name of his wifw, my grandmother, was Rosa Jannone. But how you know her ?

Regards Ascanio

Hello , I also found these objects, of which I am attaching the photos, and I would like to know if someone on the forum can help me to learn more.

Thanks to everyone1646128568120.jpg.50a197edca0978651807413298b2ba99.jpg1646128568134.jpg.99fd7a812537a4c123bef053926ca2dc.jpg