Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed: Karlsruhe POW camp

Sarge53rd

Hello friends

I'm new to this forum and several years late with this topic but I would like to make available some post cards showing Karlsruhe camp. They were sent back or brought back by my uncle Reg Worrall. He was 2nd Leiutenant RAMC.

Some of the men in the photos have signed their name and some have also put their rank and regiment. They are from 1918.

Please find attached the pc's

Peter

post-60743-088864200 1290360623.jpgpost-60743-013318600 1290360641.jpgpost-60743-052058700 1290360653.jpgpost-60743-041116500 1290360664.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello friends

I'm new to this forum and several years late with this topic but I would like to make available some post cards showing Karlsruhe camp. They were sent back or brought back by my uncle Reg Worrall. He was 2nd Leiutenant RAMC.

Some of the men in the photos have signed their name and some have also put their rank and regiment. They are from 1918.

Please find attached the pc's

Peter

attachicon.gifScannedImage - Copy.jpgattachicon.gifScannedImage-2 - Copy.jpgattachicon.gifScannedImage-3.jpgattachicon.gifScannedImage-5 - Copy.jpg

Hi peter

would it be possible to see better copies of these photos please? I am looking for Arthur Gordon Cribb # 3 Squadron, Nov 1917- Dec 1918

Thanks

Gaye

Hello

I am trying to find further information on a Sec-Lt Claude Nelthorpe PEPPER of the 1/8 West Yorkshires. (Record card also shows the 5th and 6th Battalion West Yorks)

He was reported missing on 25/4/1918 and repartriated on 2/12/1918. If I read his Red Cross card correctly it appears he was in Karlsruhe.

I'm trying to work out where and how he was captured. I am not a military historian but I am researching my rugby clubs members who fought in WW1 of which Pepper is one.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Richard

• 2 years later...
On 8/29/2005 at 12:50, Sarge53rd said:

Robert -

This is just fascinating stuff! I have sent you a PM offline with my contact information and I will be happy to share the little I have on my Grandfather's experience at Karlsruhe, with you, if you'd like. I am extremely interested in obtaining copies of the autograph page comments. I am just having a research project on my Grandfather finished up so this is fascinating information for me. I appreciate your time and thinking of me!

Kind regards,

Paul Jerram

Roswell, GA, USA

Hello Robert - After a 2 year + hiatus from using this amazing Forum, due to illness and surgeries etc., I am now finally getting back into it. While browsing this week, I came across this post from August 2005 ... good grief - 12 years ago!!

At any rate, several years ago, I had my laptop crash and I was able to recover very little of what was on there (fortunately not very much about my family/military history etc, was on that PC). However, one thing that I was unable to recover was any record of the offline conversation you and I may have had regarding my getting a copy your grandfather's 'autograph book' consisting of around 40 pages of comments, drawings and poems from when he was in Karlsruhe. To be honest, I don't even remember if I ever reached out to you about this. I know I don't have it in my collection ... so I possibly never requested it or you couldn't get it to me at the time.   

I would love to get in touch with you (again?) "off forum" to see if there is any way I could trouble you for a copy of the pages from your grandfather's autograph book. Perhaps via .PDF to my email address or even post them here, if size allows .... Or I would be happy to reimburse you for a reproduction and mailing cost to get a hard copy to me (I live in the US though ... although it shouldn't be too expensive).

Could you please tell me if this is feasible for you? Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate anything you may be able to do so I could obtain a copy of this fascinating history!

Kind regards,  

Paul Jerram 

I think the Robert you refer to has not been in here since 2008...

Not sure how you can contact him, a Mod can probably advise...

Bernard

On 6/29/2017 at 17:47, Bernard_Lewis said:

I think the Robert you refer to has not been in here since 2008...

Not sure how you can contact him, a Mod can probably advise...

Bernard

Thank you Bernard!

• 8 months later...

I am trying to find out the same type of information. My uncle was a prisoner there in approximately April/May 1917. His name was Lt. Reg Henry. All I have been able to find out was Karlshrue was for officers, it was referred to as “the listening hotel” and it was basically a clearing house as most prisioner were sent to different camps from there.  If anyone can provide pictures, autograph books, etc I would love to see them. 

Edited by Margo Day

• 4 years later...

Very interesting, but I cannot see the details - I would be v interested in the PoW names as my Grandfather was at Hannover, Lemburg then in Karlsruhe in June and July 1918 then to Beeskow! - until home in December!