Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passport for Lieut-Col in British Army to enter Siberia issued 11 Apr 1914

Tracie Griffith

19 minutes ago, MartH said:

regimental magazine after the war? I

Do you have link?

The Snapper, for EastYorkshires, can be found on AMOT. But N Staffs (edit- China Dragon)?

"Search | The Ogilby Muster" https://www.theogilbymuster.com/search/results#/?query="the snapper"&page=1&type=flex&sort=Regimental_Collection asc&filterBy=&spellCheck=true&recordView=409055

Edited by charlie962

I thought the regimenatl magazine was the China Dragon. Can someone confirm waht it was named?

5 minutes ago, MartH said:

China Dragon.

I'd edited my post and agree. AMOT have a few late 30's editions but not a run and I couldn't find Way mentioned.

Prev jnl was the Knot but not sure till when.

Thank you for these further leads. I've looked around for 'The China Dragon' and "The Knot' and websites only seem to have late copies (circa 1930s). I'll follow this up with a query to the North Staffordshire Museum website. 

I've had contact from a gentlemen associated with the 2nd King Edward Horse Regiment, who I posted a query with regarding Gerald Way (he was with that regiment for about 6 months in 1914 before effecting a transfer to 4th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment through Benjamin Irby Way, who was the commanding officer of that battalion at that time, stationed at Guernsey). He believes Lewis Charles Way was killed on a big game hunting expedition in British Central Africa in 1903. I thought they had confused him with Benjamin Irby, who died after catching malaria on a big game hunting expedition in South Africa in 1932. I've asked if they can tell me their documentary source to follow this up for myself. I suspect that Gerald was also in some kind of administrative role overseas as he is missing from census records from 1891 when he was 16 and studying at Haileybury College, until WWI broke out. 

Thanks so much for everyone's input. It has clarified some very important details and taught me a thing or two about how to access the correct WWI archives. Much appreciated.

Let us know how you get on with Staffs museum, please. They are participating in AMOT but currently seem to have loaded more South Staffs than North Staffs. They should certainly have a run of regimental comics and as Mart suggested earlier, they can be an excellent source.

Charlie

Apologies Charlie for the late reply. It was my father's 86th birthday yesterday and the past few days have been quite busy.

I'll contact the Staffs museum and definitely let you know what they say. Thanks again for your support. The information gleaned from this conversation has been extremely helpful. Much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hello. Have received information back from the Staffordshire Museum and it was extremely helpful. They had quite a bit on all three Way brothers. All new information. Also some relevant copies of The China Dragon magazine, including an obituary for Benjamin Irby Way that I've attached here. Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

China Dragon. 1933. February. Obituary Part 1.jpg

China Dragon. 1933. February. Obituary Part 2.jpg

China Dragon. 1933. February. Obituary Part 3.jpg

Thanks for the link. I’ll check out the book. Intend to write to the club to see if they have any of Ben Way’s old hunting trophies on the walls and will send me a quick pic. Will let you know if they do! They’d be pretty dusty by now. 

Yikes! Just saw the price of the book. Will have to locate it at a library. I've emailed the Denham Golf Club re Ben's hunting trophies but saw these specimens on the walls of the photos of their dining room on their website. It's a virtual herd of African animals!

Denham Golf Club - Dining Room 1.jpg

Denham Golf Club - Dining Room 2.jpg

Denham Golf Club - Dining Room 3.jpg