Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passport for Lieut-Col in British Army to enter Siberia issued 11 Apr 1914

Tracie Griffith

Hello. I have a copy of a passport for a British Army Officer issued by Sir Edward Grey at the Foreign Office in London on 11 Apr 1914 for entry to Russia and Siberia. The passport appears to be stamped at the point of entry to Russia/Siberia on 14 Aug 1914.

I am wondering if anyone would know why this army officer was sent to Russia/Siberia at the commencement of WWI hostilities (with the passport preempting the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a matter of months).

Any clarity you can provide would be much appreciated. I believe the officer was with the North Staffordshire Regiment (4th Battalion) at this time.

Cheers, Tracie.

D 192-15-11.jpg

Bio from Who Was Who:

Way, Lt-Col Benjamin Irby   DSO 1917  

Born Denham Place, Bucks, 9 July 1869; s of late B. H. W. Way and Isabel, d of late Rev. H. H. Way of Alderbourn, Fulmer, Bucks; unmarried; died 1 Oct. 1932.  late 4th North Stafford Regt; JP Bucks; FRGS.  Educ: Eton; Sandhurst.  Joined 1st N. Stafford Regt at Cape Town, 1890; proceeded with regiment to Mauritius; experienced the great hurricane of 1902; served Dongola Expedition, 1896 (British and Sudan medal, and 4th Class Medjidie); India, 1897–1903; retired 1905, and joined 4th North Stafford; in command of Battalion, 1912; on outbreak of European War, went with Batt. to Guernsey; commanded 8th East York Regt, Aug. 1915; went to France, Sept. 1915 (severely wounded at Loos); rejoined 8th EYR, 1916 (wounded on Somme, despatches twice, DSO). Recreations:  Big game shooting, fishing.  Club: United Service.

This person fits with the age on the passport.  Reports on the British Newspaper Archive say that he died in Piet Maritzburg, South Africa of Malaria.

No obvious military or diplomatic reason in the bio for his trip to Russia in 1914, but it could be connected to his hobbies of Fishing and Big Game Hunting or his fellowship of the Royal Geographical Society,

Appears to have owned the Denham Place estate in Bucks.

Travers

Edited by travers61

Hello to everyone. Thank you for your replies. It is the correct Lieu-Col Benjamin Irby Way DSO. I have most of this information and his service record. Most of his records have been destroyed unfortunately (I have much more for his two brothers Gerald Oscar Way and Roger Hill Way - both Majors post WWI). I have been working with a researcher in the UK and she suggested I post on this website in case someone had any further information.

I was specifically after background on the situation that might have led to him travelling to Siberia/Russia because so much of his service record is destroyed. Thank you.

Edited by Tracie Griffith
typo - spellcheck!

Curious about the bio in 'Who Was Who'. His service record states:

Mauritius 22/7/1890-7/6/1893

Malta 8/6/1893-4/10/1895

Egypt 5/10/1895-11/10/1897

West Indies (rather than India) 12/10/1897- ???

retired 1905, etc (then WWI)

'Who Was Who' states that he was stationed in India 1897-1903 so that is interesting. I don't have a subscription to 'Who Was Who'. So the 'Great Hurricane' was either in India or the West Indies - depending on which entry is correct. Google is not giving me any information on a 'Great Hurricane' in 1902. Can anyone clarify this?

5 hours ago, Tracie Griffith said:

'Great Hurricane

Looking at the order of events in who's who, I suggest the great hurricane of 1892, not 1902? More than1000 people killed and 10s of thousands homeless in Mauritius. The Army helped with rescue efforts.

29th April 1892. 

Newspaper report here on Findmypast newspapers.

"The British Newspaper Archive | findmypast.co.uk" https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000289%2f18920604%2f027&stringtohighlight=great hurricane 

Another 

"The British Newspaper Archive | findmypast.co.uk" https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000540%2f18920602%2f071&stringtohighlight=staffordshire mauritius

A small extract from that last link to The Scotsman:

437676365_GWFImryWayNStaffsMauritius1892.JPG.1a2c104fb691a5446be8f984947bafa7.JPG

The Stafford's left the island 1893.

Edited by charlie962

Local paper 1/8/14 reports Col BI Way patronised the games of 4th NStaffs at Chilwell Camp a week earlier. So back in England by 24/7/14.

Big game or Great game, that is the question? For sure he will have been asked to keep his eyes and ears open?

He was also present at NStaffs annual dinner 19/6/14. So Russian trip brief.

Edited by charlie962

On 28/01/2022 at 10:32, Tracie Griffith said:

on 14 Aug 1914

I'm wondering if what looks like Aug is actually a Russian abreviation of April ? At its simplest the French diplomatic language would suggest Avr (Avril).

Hi charlie962. Thank you so much for this information. It's extremely helpful. I've attached Benjamin Irby Way's service record and the photos that I have of him from the Buckinghamshire Archives. One was taken in Guernsey - he was stationed there 1914-5, before moving to the 8th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment (as noted above). The other two are presumed to be around 1912 (one is dated such and references the 4th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment), so it looks as though he could have been actively engaged again as early as 1912. The uniforms he is wearing could be a clue but I am not knowledgeable enough to discern that.

I'm wondering if you know of a published history of the movements of the North Staffordshire Regiments prior to WWI? Specifically covering the early dates that Benjamin Irby Way was involved 1890-1905. I have been collecting the published war diaries of the East Yorkshire and North Staffordshire Regiments, as I identify what regiments the three brothers were in. Benjamin Irby Way is listed as wounded a number of times in the East Yorkshire histories (his name gets a mention because he was an officer). I also have a few hospital admissions records for Benjamin Irby and Roger Hill Way.

The fourth brother, Lewis Charles Way, was killed 25/3/1903 (age 30) at Fort Johnson, Chichwawa, British Central Africa. I have his death certificate, but there is no cause of death listed so I don't know whether it was due to disease or combat actions. No idea what the British Army's activities were in British Central Africa. Do you know of a published history of those events or what Regiments might have been stationed there? I believe the four brothers went to Haileybury College (some with additiona training) before entering the Army.

The North Staffordshire Regiment website was snowed under with queries last time I looked due to COVID so I haven't asked any questions there yet. Very glad my researcher suggested this website as you guys are so knowledgeable. I am researching from Australia, which makes it difficult at times. Very pleased to have sorted out the inaccuracy on Benjamin Irby Way's service record re his time in India (rather than the West Indies).

Thanks again for your time and information.

D192-24-1-1.jpg

D192-24-1-2.jpg

D192-24-2.jpg

BI Way - Regimental Record 1.jpg

BI Way - Regimental Record 2.jpg

Tracie. I'm glad those bits were helpful.

A quick couple of points on service record. 

The 1897 date says East Indies not West. So all in agreement.

There was a second file at NA. Did it not contain anything useful? Always a bit hit or miss due to weeding.

I'm no expert on NStaffs so hopefully another pal will reply.

Thanks for posting those splendid photos. He was over 6ft tall so quite imposing.

I must now go out to plant a hedge! I will look further later.

Charlie

In Russian, April is written апрель which could explain why the abbreviation sort of looks like August. Everything else added by hand is written in Russian so I don't think it is logical that only the date should be in English.

As far as I can tell, the stamp was issued at the Imperial Russian Consulate in London. To me it looks like a visa: the postage-stamp-like thing would be the fee, 1249 the consulate's reference number, and it's signed (I think) by the consul general.

Also keep in mind that the Russians still used the Julian calendar, which was 10 days behind the Gregorian calendar, hence 1 April (on the "postage" stamp) is really 11 April.

Edited by knittinganddeath

20 hours ago, Tracie Griffith said:

The fourth brother, Lewis Charles Way, was killed 25/3/1903 (age 30) at Fort Johnson, Chichwawa, British Central Africa. I have his death certificate, but there is no cause of death listed so I don't know whether it was due to disease or combat actions. No idea what the British Army's activities were in British Central Africa. Do you know of a published history of those events or what Regiments might have been stationed there?

You could look at the FIBIS Fibiwiki page East Africa https://wiki.fibis.org/w/East_Africa#Historical_books_online

Includes links to online books etc such as 

The King's African Rifles: A Study in the Military History of East and Central Africa, 1890-1914by H M Bartlett 1954. PhD thesis SOAS University of London.

The Savage Wars : British Campaigns in Africa, 1870-1920 by Lawrence James 1985 Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.

It would be expected that be some information about the location of the regiment in the Monthly Army Lists for the relevant period.

The Monthly Army List collection at the Internet Archive

https://archive.org/details/monthly-army-list?sort=-date

You can select the years you are interested in , from the left hand side of the webpage, or simply scroll down.

British Library blog: A Malawian mystery tour https://blogs.bl.uk/magnificentmaps/2018/03/a-malawian-mystery-tour.html

It doesn't sound the type of area where there would be an entire British regiment. Perhaps there were selected officers only there, in charge of native troops? or perhaps involved with surveying?

Maureen

Edited by MaureenE

Thank you Charlie for your advice. Located a second regimental record for Benjamin Irby Way that has updates (unfortunately very faint) that lists his service in the East Indies as 12/10/1897-14/3/1903, which again aligns with the dates you provided. Thanks very much for that prompt. 

Will follow up the suggestions here from knitting&death and MaureenE. Thank you so much for this information.

Thanks knitting&death for your clarification. It makes sense.

Thanks MaureenE for that advice. I've downloaded the books and information from the sites, and now have a lot of reading to do!! Really great leads for my research into Lewis Charles Way. Will reply with what I find out. Cheers.

Hi MaureenE. I found a number of records for a Lewis Way as a captain surgeon on FindMyPast today that had been overlooked. I don't know if it is the Lewis Way I am seeking, but the records start within a timeframe that fits (1896) and the final record is Bengal in 1902. He died in 25/3/1903 at Fort Johnson, Chichwawa, British Central Africa, so I guess this would give him time to travel to Africa. I'm posting one of the records here. It has three acronyms beside his name which may detail his qualifications (that is outside my knowledge). I hadn't suspected him being in the medical corps as his three brothers were infantry and because of his age (born 1872 so only 30 when he died). This possibility is causing me to expand my ideas somewhat.

Hart's annual army list, militia list and yeomanry cavalry list 1902.pdf

The RAMC Lewis Way is a different person who did not die in 1903 as he was still alive in 1915.

The RAMC Lewis Way is record 7290 on page 556 Commissioned officers in the medical services of the British Army, 1660-1960 Volume 1

https://wellcomecollection.org/works/u35snta5/items?canvas=684

(I need to change browsers to Chrome to access this)

Maureen

Thanks Maureen for stopping me from chasing a red herring. I’m looking through the Monthly Army List for March 1903, hoping to come up with something. Had found Benjamin Irby Way with the North Staffs, Battalion 1 in Bombay and Battalions 2-4 in Litchfield. Also found this incorrect Lewis Way. Will continue tomorrow 1800 pages long!!! Thankfully you can do a search that highlights ‘Way’. 

Re Lewis Charles Way.

Fort Johnston, at the foot of lake Nyasa, seems to have been civil district hq rather than a military fort by the year 1903. So no reason to assume Lewis was naval or military although there would be one or two in the area. Just as likely to be business or leisure?

Does his death certificate give his employment? You used the word killed but I have only seen mention of died. Which to you believe is correct?

Charlie

Re B I Way.

Returning every so often to WW1 to keep in topic, I suspect you have already seen the notes on his two woundings, in Everard Wyrall's history of the E Yorks?

https://www.theogilbymuster.com/search/results#/?query="Colonel way"&page=1&type=flex&sort=Regimental_Collection asc&filterBy=&spellCheck=true&recordView=410764 

https://www.theogilbymuster.com/search/results#/?query="Colonel way"&page=1&type=flex&sort=Regimental_Collection asc&filterBy=&spellCheck=true&recordView=410740

My links are to the copy that is on the new resource, Ogilby Muster. You may already have found a copy as you suggested earlier?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. Yes, I have  Everard Wyrall's history so I have read about those two woundings for Benjamin Irby Way. Also the available hospital admissions documents.

I didn't find any of the other brothers in the March/April 1903 army lists so Lewis Charles Way may not have been in the army as such. The only documentation I have so far is his death certificate (no cause of death stated) and a telegram sent to him from his mother at Denham Place in 1901 to advise of Queen Victoria's death. The death certificate has his occupation as 3rd Class Assistant, British Central Africa Administration so perhaps it was a government role? I had assumed it was an army position.

The family had a property named ‘Denham’, Morcom Road, Peitermaribzburg, Natal, South Africa (not sure when purchased). BI Way died in Peitermaribzburg in 1932 as already noted. The youngest brother, Roger Hill Way, also lived there after WWI. Benjamin Irby Way assisted his two surviving brothers to enlist in Battalion 4, North Staffordshire Regiment in 1914 and Roger listed 'rancher' in British Columbia as his occupation at that time. Lots of travel records for Roger to Canada/USA in 1913. So they had properties outside of England. I'll also contact a researcher in South Africa in due course. I haven't yet because of the COVID situation there (I'm hoping to get a death certificate for Benjamin Irby Way at the very least).

image.png.a1642f639c137eb236400feb254ea70f.png

Edited by Tracie Griffith

6 hours ago, Tracie Griffith said:

Charles Way may not have been in the army as such......The death certificate has his occupation as 3rd Class Assistant, British Central Africa Administration

This would have been a civil administrative role, not military. It wasn't until 1904 that a more direct control was taken by the Colonial Office. Prior to this it was Sir Harry Johnston's (as in the Fort)

Central African Protectorate administration that governed and the structures were only really established in the preceding decade. During this period powers were delegated by Britain and much left at the discretion of the Johnston and his successor. For better or for worse, a typical example of British colonial development in Africa. But that is for another forum. I don't know where those early administrative archives of this period are held. 

Battalion 4, North Staffordshire

A small point of terminology, it is the 4th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment. 

Charlie

Unless a North Staffords expert steps forward on the forum it does seem that the Regimental Museum has to be the source of further info on prewar for BI Way and wartime for him and two brothers. BIW seems to remain a North Staffords man, 'attached' to East Yorks.

Has anyone looked at the regimental magazine after the war? I know for a similar officer in the Glosters in Mespot, the regimental magazine filled in some gaps.