Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Dawn Patrol", 1930 and 1938 films

Moonraker

I thought we might have a thread devoted to one or other (or both) of the 1930s films "The Dawn Patrol", but all I could find were passing references.

Watch the 1930 version here.

IMDB

Viewing it, I had a feeling of familiarity with the plot and afterwards realised that some years ago I'd seen the 1938 version with Errol Flynn and David Niven. I gather that the later version used some footage from the first.

Not at all bad for a 1930 production, though many of the actors retained exaggerated facial expressions and body gestures from their days in silent movies. Surely a goof at 27.00 when Courtney asks young pilots joining his squadron how many combat hours they've had and their answers range from 7 1/2 to 16 - presumably their flying hours. And the climatic aerial fight is meant to take place after dusk, but was filmed in broad daylight (for understandable reasons). The squadron appears to be based in a very mountainous part of France!

And here's the 1938 version

IMBD which says that "the filmmakers needed several shots of the planes taking off and landing. They assembled a squadron of 17 vintage WW1 aircraft, most of them Nieuports. Flying them proved just as hazardous as in WW1. By the time filming ended, stunt flyers had crashed 15 of them."  Which is surprising, as nearly all the flying scenes were lifted from the 1930 version.

We have discussed Basil Rathbone's war service before, and Donald Crisp's record for the Boer, First and Second World wars intrigued us here.

Edited by Moonraker

• Moonraker changed the title to "The Dawn Patrol", 1930 and 1938 films