Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal ribbons used for braces?

FrancesH

21 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Given the standard length of a medal ribbon [as provided with a medal] - I reckon they would only fit 'Action Man' ;-)

Might be possible now since you can now buy new ribbon by the metre. :-/

M

When I first started work in the centre of Liverpool, the Gentlemen’s Tailors stocked huge rolls of medal ribbon from both world wars, also many, many shoulder titles for the allied nations.

I f only I had known then what I know now!

Just now, derekb said:

I think that is fairly very common lament! ;-/

M

Just now, derekb said:

When I first started work in the centre of Liverpool, the Gentlemen’s Tailors stocked huge rolls of medal ribbon from both world wars, also many, many shoulder titles for the allied nations.

Derek, this thread has inspired me with such a desire to own a roll of medal ribbon, irrespective of its official purpose!

8 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Belgian awards have to be bought by whoever is awarded them

There doesn't appear to have been any request for payment in 1918, but this may be different now.  When researching this I contacted the Belgian Embassy who said there was a general exchange of awards at the cessation of hostilities, and there were no records of why the awards were made.

The War Diaries indicate the Battalion was visited by Albert, king of the Belgians, but this was a couple of years earlier.  Just guessing but perhaps a Belgian official arrived to give the award and had the ribbon with him.  There were two other recipients in the Regiment at the time.  I don't suppose we'll ever know.